Note to New Members ×

Edge Bevel and Base bevel

flying_burito

Guest Randy S.

I ride 1 base 2 side on most stuff. Then again, I don't stone grind my boards very often (just put my 171 fc in for the first time in 2 years). I use a Ski Visions Ski Sharp to maintain edges between tunes. Best device ever since it can do both edges simultaneously and has adjustable bevel for both.

I'm ridding 3 side 1 base and for East Coast ice it makes a difference :biggthump for myself. I rode 0/0 for years went to 2/1 and now 3/1. PTC tunes are usually 3/1. The board hooks up better and rails better on ice and hard conditions. I don't change degrees any more since I found what works for me.

Holds on ice so well that I'm still learning where the limit is - I'm not used to being able to trust a carve on ice, and I do mean I-C-E, like this. I only use this tune on my race boards, which don't get ridden on anything where the edge sustains much damage, so don't need to worry about the added edge fragility of the acute angle. Probably overkill for a freeride carver or someone who mostly rides where the snow is softer than here in maple syrup country.

It's hard to know how much is the bevel setting and how much is de Santis. I do know that I had my Coiler 180 at 3/1 right along, but his 3/1 works just WAY better - I suspect it's largely that the board is really flat for the first time. I don't sharpen at all - just de-burr with a diamond stone also at 3/1. The edge has held up very well.

I ride 1 base 2 side on most stuff. Then again, I don't stone grind my boards very often (just put my 171 fc in for the first time in 2 years). I use a Ski Visions Ski Sharp to maintain edges between tunes. Best device ever since it can do both edges simultaneously and has adjustable bevel for both.

I have been eyeing one of those tools for a couple years now and as soon as I decide to get a new tool thats what its gonna be, I was skeptic since I have never heard from anyone that has one.

PTC tunes are insane, no one I have ever been to can even compare