Note to New Members ×

What happened to Sims?

skategoat

Just wondering, what happened to Sims? I see on their website that their mailing address is now Mississauga, Ontario. I never see their boards in shops and no wonder - their dealer locator lists one shop in all of Ontario. What happened between Tom Sims selling the company and it ending up in a suburban hell like Mississauga?

And, when was the last Burner made? Did Sims make any other alpine board?

Thanks in advance (Jack).

HK

Here's a picture of my "Hasco" Burner the one I bought 2 seasons ago. So named due to the fact that Sims was bought by Hasco, a company based out of Japan if I'm not mistaken. Mellow Yellow has one too and if memory serves we bought them around the same time frame. I've never seen one with newer graphics, thus the reasoning for the time frame. Sims also made the "Premium" some of which have popped up here recently for sale. I've seen them in 2 different topsheets, the gold and green. Not sure what else they made alpine wise. I'd sure love to see the Burner series produced again, I'd love to have a 167cm, that's what I originally wanted, but settled for the 178 when a 167 couldn't be found.

Have fun,

Paul

post-857-141842209401_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Tuthill

RJ: You are right!! Frank and Terry English have all the dirt. Ok Frank, chime in here. Oh, by the way, Frank and I have 178'S also. There are very few left!! Didn't K2 make the boards for a period of time?? Bryan should be able to help here too???

Int’l - Snow

Sims Wished to Reassure Dealers

Sims new General Manager, Michael Tadgell recently announced smoother waters for the long-time snowboard manufacturer following the company’s acquisition by Itochu International. “We felt that in the face of constant and persistent negative trade rumors that we needed to let our dealers know in a public way that Sims is focused on supporting their efforts," stated Tadgell. “Specifically, we have added a Canadian-based Customer Service office to serve our dealers, installed a new information system and have open purchase orders supported by ‘letters of credit’ to all our key factories. In short, we’re open for business and Sims’ plans to be for a long time."

ITOCHU International Inc. (www.itochu.com) is the North American flagship company of ITOCHU Corporation (www.itochu.co.jp), a Japanese company. ITOCHU International consists of over 21 companies across a diverse industry base and business model investment. One of ITOCHU International’s core competencies focuses on brand management and marketing, which has involved the company in the negotiation of licensing distribution agreements with J. Crew, Tumi luggage, Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, Armani, Guess, Converse, and others.

For more Information call Michael Tadgell at Sims (905) 696-0879 or Chris Chang (212) 827-5641.

Int’l - Snow

Sims Wished to Reassure Dealers

Sims new General Manager, Michael Tadgell recently announced smoother waters for the long-time snowboard manufacturer following the company’s acquisition by Itochu International. “We felt that in the face of constant and persistent negative trade rumors that we needed to let our dealers know in a public way that Sims is focused on supporting their efforts," stated Tadgell. “Specifically, we have added a Canadian-based Customer Service office to serve our dealers, installed a new information system and have open purchase orders supported by ‘letters of credit’ to all our key factories. In short, we’re open for business and Sims’ plans to be for a long time."

ITOCHU International Inc. (www.itochu.com) is the North American flagship company of ITOCHU Corporation (www.itochu.co.jp), a Japanese company. ITOCHU International consists of over 21 companies across a diverse industry base and business model investment. One of ITOCHU International’s core competencies focuses on brand management and marketing, which has involved the company in the negotiation of licensing distribution agreements with J. Crew, Tumi luggage, Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, Armani, Guess, Converse, and others.

For more Information call Michael Tadgell at Sims (905) 696-0879 or Chris Chang (212) 827-5641.

I gave up trying to get ahold of the warranty dept at Sims years ago.They had always been great with replacing delam'd boards but this T Sims 169 was my last one since 2 SoulCarves, 159 & 160. Too bad, I always get curious comments and questions when riding the Burner 197." Hasn't Sims been around longer than Burton ?" The 169 was a great all around spoon for winter waveriding out west but she's being replaced with a Winterstick Tom Burt 172. :eplus2:

post-123-141842209458_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Tuthill

Willy: Yes Sims has been there longer. Barfoot too. They were really together. Both came from New Jersey. Barfoot had some nice looking Alpine boards for awhile. I will try to get in touch and see if he has any left?? Be fun to have one.

my understanding is there aren't many... mine is a 188 though.... it is a nice ride... though as you mentioned I'm extra careful....

Of course though on the first day I had it out I railed myself into a hole on the side of a trail and chipped up the tip.... and on the same run I was T-Boned and the top sheet delammed a bit... it was fixed and is still holding up... but go figure!!!

It should come as no surprise that product innovators often don't make it, especially when you have the potential for companies with deep pockets, technology and distribution networks to enter a market with no barriers to entry. People call Burton evil, but the truth is, it's one of the last of the legendary brands to not change owners. I don't think there are any US board brands that fit that. Perhaps F2 and Nidecker in Europe but I don't know their lineage.

get an influx of money early in the 80's? I seem to remember that was part of the reason why Burton was bigger than the rest earlier and longer.

It should come as no surprise that product innovators often don't make it, especially when you have the potential for companies with deep pockets, technology and distribution networks to enter a market with no barriers to entry. People call Burton evil, but the truth is, it's one of the last of the legendary brands to not change owners. I don't think there are any US board brands that fit that. Perhaps F2 and Nidecker in Europe but I don't know their lineage.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Mello: Ain't it the way??? Trying to take care, it happens. Burton did get fam money. I remember reading that in a mag. Barfoot went off on his own without much money. You gotta love Chuck. He is a great guy, allways fun to be around. A real good surfer.

I'd like to see a photo of the old Barfoot with "Barf" or "Barfout" on the base. I've only seen one, ever. I'm hoping Winterstick will hang in there.Based in Freeport Maine(next to Jack and LL Bean)and they've got Tom Burt on board with his 172 model. Read on : In 1998, my close college friend, Eric Tietje, called me from Berkeley, California. Eric explained that one of snowboarding's greatest brands was once again in financial trouble. He said he had been approached to offer some help. Since I was a "finance guy" from Boston he figured I would be able to provide some guidance (read; cash). I flew to California and met with the owners. By 2001 Eric and I realized it was time for us to take things into our own hands and give the brand the respect and funding it needed. Shortly after that Eric and I went into high gear to put the necessary infrastructure in place.

Today we have three owners, Tom-Fremont Smith, Gus Lookner, and myself, Chistopher Lorenz. This isn't about money for us and it isn't about branding. This is about working on and around the mountains. We have a modest office in Maine and another (really small) office in Lake Tahoe, California. We get passes at Sugarloaf and Alpine Meadows because those resorts reflect our style, or lack there of! We rescued the brand out of bankruptcy because we saw the heart and soul of Winterstick's history being dragged through the mud when it should have been charging through pow.

The Winterstick story began in the late ‘60s when Winterstick founder Dimitrije Milovich met up with New Jersey surfboard shaper, Wayne Stoveken. Stoveken (who Milovich believes to be the first snowboarder) had started making snow-surfboard designs and showed Milovich a few construction ideas. Inspired by Stoveken's designs and the now famous surf film Five Summer Stories, Milovich started making his own snowboards. In 1972, Milovich dropped out of college and moved to Utah to work full time on developing his new designs in the Wasatch backcountry. Later that year, he patented the first modern snowboard,

the "Swallowtail".

In 1974, Milovich began making snowboards out of his garage for friends and people who had read about them in articles in Newsweek and Playboy Magazines. Responding to the interest generated by the articles, Winterstick-brand snowboards was founded in 1976. They produced a total of 1500 boards and offered two different models, the "Round Tail" and the "Swallow Tail". They were shown at the SIA and NSGA tradeshows and were received with little industry or retailer interest. The company and the new sport grew slowly along with other companies like Burton, Sims, and Barfoot.