Note to New Members ×

Must see video

patmoore

Yikes... If only he had flapped his arms harder. He might have been able to fly out of that little problem... :eek: It really does look like he wanted to fly though :D .

Gotta have balls of steel to even stand on top of a hill like that much less actually go down it. I'm glad for the rider that there was plenty of powder on the bottom...

I'm glad for the rider that there was plenty of powder on the bottom...

you know what though? that powder was actually slide residue on top...see the fracture where he takes off? doesnt that stuff harden up a bit after releasing?

I dont think Ive ever seen anyone go so far in the air. that was crazy.

Guest dragonsword5
Check out this one, it has got to be the biggest drop I have ever seen.

The link to the video is on Arbors home page.

Mike Basich Heli Drop

What I'm wondering is how he landed that without breaking something! :eek:

Just the drop reminds me of the feeling of going on the Dominator at Dorney Park. Wow...these guys must have no sense of pain when doing this stuff.

you know what though? that powder was actually slide residue on top...see the fracture where he takes off? doesnt that stuff harden up a bit after releasing?

I dont think Ive ever seen anyone go so far in the air. that was crazy.

Yeah the stuff would've felt hard no matter how soft it looks and it probably gets hard at SOME point... ouch...

Pat, any word on what actually happened to the guy in the end?

:lol: I love watching them flap their wings. Honestly though, that takes mega guts that I doubt I will ever have. I think my neighbors in my dorm think I am weird- I keep reading your stuff and cracking up loudly and nobody is ever in the room. Just Tonja, in her room all by herself.. bursting out laughing. :lurk:

Yeah the stuff would've felt hard no matter how soft it looks and it probably gets hard at SOME point... ouch...

Pat, any word on what actually happened to the guy in the end?

yeah, even 8' of fresh woulda hurt at that velocity. I seriously dont think Ive ever seen a snowboarder in the air that long. Id be flappin my arms too. didnt look like the rider intended to even jump that. they cleared an entire BIG hill. just crazy

you could see a thick hard slab just trying to release on the main face too, maybe that's why he got scared from all the releasing noises and just gunned it (and was probably on his toes from what looks like tons of small slabs all day long), it looks like if the big slab had come loose, it would have stopped right in the gully "terrain trap" and he would have been sooo buried

on more looks i really can't tell if a big slab is starting to trigger, it could all just be his slough, and the slope looks so wind degraded but who knows, i thought i saw some fracture lines with spray comin out that wasn't his slough

Can anyone answer this question about avalanches, it would seem pretty important, in areas like Chugach (probably only chugach, maybe japan as well, but they're so maritime maybe not) are EARTHQUAKES a risk? I mean Chugach gets like hundreds of earthquakes that could be big enough to rip a windslab? Is it possible? Is it a concern!?

The video is from this year's Absinthe flick, Futureproof. The linear distance was reportedly well beyond that of Chad's Gap (150ft from end of the kicker to the very front of the landing), so I'd guess the drop was well beyond 60ft. Yes, the rider suffered a season-ending injury from that.

Damn good flick though. Probably as good as Pop, but with a bit less jaw-dropping air time.

It ain't the big air that's dangerous, it's that sudden stop at the end...

I landed pretty much flat on my back from about 10-12 feet last year - no powder but thankfully no ice either - and couldn't breath right until the next day. Looks like he had a couple feet of powder, but he fell from WAY higher... I bet he felt it for a good long time. I wonder how long it took him to get the first little bit of air back into his lungs. :-)

Ever since then, I've been wondering if it would be practical to build a pocket-sized respirator. Something with a light spring to inflate itself as soon as you pull it from your pocket, so you can pump up your lungs right away after something like that. :D

Guest dragonsword5

I would love to do that sometime in the course of my life but I'm to much of a chicken. :o

Though I think when I'm old and crinkly and on my death bed I'll ask someone to strap a snowboard to my feet and chuck me out of a helicopter.

Atleats I'd die happy :lol: