Note to New Members ×

Single and Dating someone who Snowboards or Skis

C5 Golfer

Do you buy your girlfriends lift ticket?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy your girlfriends lift ticket?

• I am not dating anyone who skis or snowboards
    • I am dating someone who skis/snowboards and I pay for hers
    • I am dating someone who skis/snowboards and I do not pay for hers
    • I pay for hers occasionally

Sorry for voting even though I am married. I let my girlfriend pay for her own until we got married, then our finances were one at which time "I" paid for hers.

In hindsight, it would really have been nice of me to pay for hers while we were dating, but what the heck, she married me anyway.:D

Guest Randy S.

I always try to date women who can afford to buy their own tickets. I don't mind buying dinners, movie tix, etc. on a date, but skiing isn't really a date IMO. If asked, and she didn't have a lot of money, and going riding was all my idea, then I'd pay for her ticket.

Vacations are a different story. I have paid for most of a vacation for a SO before. I usually let them buy some dinners if we go out for something fancy during the vacation.

For dating in general, I feel that a girl should offer to pay for dinner on the third date. She can offer on the first or second, and I'll turn her down, but on the third I'll let her pay (usually - unless I chose a stupidly expensive restaurant). I dumped the last girl I was dating in part because she seemed to have an expectation that I'd pay for everything on every date. Never offered to pay for a single thing. After 4-5 dates I'd had enough (there were other reasons too, or I'd have said something).

Randy

I always try to date women who can afford to buy their own tickets. I don't mind buying dinners, movie tix, etc. on a date, but skiing isn't really a date IMO. If asked, and she didn't have a lot of money, and going riding was all my idea, then I'd pay for her ticket.

Vacations are a different story. I have paid for most of a vacation for a SO before. I usually let them buy some dinners if we go out for something fancy during the vacation.

For dating in general, I feel that a girl should offer to pay for dinner on the third date. She can offer on the first or second, and I'll turn her down, but on the third I'll let her pay (usually - unless I chose a stupidly expensive restaurant). I dumped the last girl I was dating in part because she seemed to have an expectation that I'd pay for everything on every date. Never offered to pay for a single thing. After 4-5 dates I'd had enough (there were other reasons too, or I'd have said something).

Randy

Randy -- I feel the same way you do except the third date dinner. Good Reply.

Also-- I owe you a beer if we ever meet boarding somewhere. I said when I posted this thread, It is between Randy and D-Sub who replies to this first gets a free beer. Randy wins - D-Sub sorry maybe next time. :)

I married one who cannot board, tried to teach her (first mistake) and won't go out to try now, which is a big bummer for me. She lets me go unsupervised, and will snowshoe though, so outdoor snow sports aren't out of the question. As to why she won't, fear. She had a sledding accident as a child and fear of sliding down a slope at speed on a piece of wood which has been waxed to go faster is a little too much to ask of her! Has no problem with me doing it! I figure if you invite, you pay the first lift ticket (courtesy) after that you work it out.

Poll should have another choice: looking to date someone who skis/boards. Boarder chicks are cool -- especially if they are like over 25.

I was married to a non-skier, non-boarder. Made the mistake of trying to teach her myself. :smashfrea With the last girlfriend, I was smart enough to get someone else to teach. If the next can board already, that would be a bonus. :1luvu:

Poll should have another choice: looking to date someone who skis/boards. Boarder chicks are cool -- especially if they are like over 25.

I was married to a non-skier, non-boarder. Made the mistake of trying to teach her myself. :smashfrea With the last girlfriend, I was smart enough to get someone else to teach. If the next can board already, that would be a bonus. :1luvu:

That subject is another poll. This poll is about finances and who's buying who what, when and where.

but skiing isn't really a date IMO. If asked, and she didn't have a lot of money, and going riding was all my idea, then I'd pay for her ticket.

IMO, it is the best date you can have! Even in marriage, it is still one of my favorite dates to go on with my wife.

Met my wife in a liftline and didn't use that line.

I had the season pass and I cannot remember on subsequent ski dates buying her passes but she's still with me. married in '84.

get 'em young. I think maybe her father gave her ski money so that she didn't "owe" me anything. She was a starving student and could not have been able to pay her way.

Guest Randy S.
Pick up chicks in the liftline. They're more likely to have a season's pass. Try lines like "I love every bone in your body ... especially mine." (that one outa work) :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Made the mistake of trying to teach her myself. With the last girlfriend, I was smart enough to get someone else to teach. If the next can board already, that would be a bonus.

This is why my match.com profile essentially says "don't contact me if you don't at least like going to the snow - and if you ski/board, even better". We can always hope. :1luvu:

When we do things my gal contributes to whatever extent she can. She's not flush with cash but doesn't want to be a freeloader. I'm happy to pick up the tab. excellent fringe benefits (she is a massage therapist specializing in neuromuscular pain relief) You may have seen her picture on the carving calendar thread. :rolleyes:

Buying her a season pass will win you points by implying long term plans, but as a practical matter it can be way cheaper than buying her day pass after day pass, even if you cut her loose after five or six trips. It's relationship economics (like letting her max out the credit card because it's cheaper to pay the monthly interest than allowing her to keep charging).

I know, Michelle..."Steve, I can't believe you are still single" :D

I'm dating someone who doesn't ski or board (fear again). I've offered to buy the ticket, pay the rental fees, buy dinner afterward, rub her feet... Maybe this year.

Next time (if there's a next time) I'm dating from the lift line only. Like this:

"Do you have any Scandinavian in you?"

[response doesn't matter, as long as there is one]

"Would you like some [more] ?"

well I still would like to share a t-bar lift sometime with a goofy footed girl which is a thing that has been on my mind ever since I started snowboarding in 1993 but it never actually happened I mean I would even buy the lift ticket for goofy footers okay I never tried Cindy's pick up line though

When I was dating I insisted she learn to board, otherwise I wouldn't have married her. She's ridden both hard and soft boots for about 10 years and does both equally well. She prefers the performance of hard boots but the comfort (walking around) of soft boots. I picked her up some Flow AMP5's and removed the instep buckle from her soft boots so we'll see this winter how that set up works. She definitely understands my passion for just getting out and riding by myself or with friends for the feeling of G's and the wind in my hair. I'm able to go just about whenever I want. I'm very fortunate to have found her :1luvu::1luvu:

Pick up chicks in the liftline. They're more likely to have a season's pass. Try lines like "I love every bone in your body ... especially mine." (that one outa work) :)

I think this is one of the signs of the apocalypse.....

Okay, I believe in global warming now :eek:

Actually, I too choked while reading this, but you gotta admit, it's pretty funny....

Actually, Sam and I split our trip expenses. If the plane trip went on his card, the lift tix go on mine....We did this while we were dating....

Or I buy dinner--or he buys dinner

That's not a bad idea, Cindy. Except for the part about speed suit photos. Some of us shouldn't be seen in speed suits. The idea, at least for us guys, is for us to get dates, not to make women feel better about not dating us. :-)

How about modeling the dating section of the site after ebay, where we could bid the dollar amount that we are willing to spend on the date?

And then afterwards we could leave each other feedback, like ebay.

It would be great to be able to check someone's feedback rating before bidding (or accepting).

That's funny, Nate.

Hi, of course there is one voting option missing: She pays for the lift tickets. ;)

In fact girls usually start asking me, if I would mind go snowboarding with them. If I say "mmaybeee" often enough, they start offering me to pay for the lift ticket, if I offer some carving training. I always refuse that, if I'm interested in her. If not, she has to pay the lift ticket to get a training (snowboarding of course, not what you might think).

skywalker