Note to New Members ×

expected board life

ARCrider

Ray's thread about dream boards brought out some mention of expected board life. Just what is everyone's idea of how long a board should last?

and if the board is custom made for your weight will it last longer?

crashes and general board abuse should not be considered a factor for board life

I'm like Neil, I usually bang the edges and base up pretty badly before the core starts to fatigue. My favorite boards wind up becoming my rock boards once the base/edges have been sufficiently beat up. The longest a board has ever lasted me is about 120 riding days and counting... my '03 Donek Axis. It's been through quite a bit of base and edge damage, it's my rock board now, and the core is definitley starting to fatigue, but I am planning to use it as my rock board until either the base and edges are so beat up that it's not enjoyable to ride, or I really wear out the core, which I've never done.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a Salomon FRS 165 where the core was still in great shape but I destroyed the edges and base to the point where several base repairs on the edge would not hold, and it was noticable on literally every turn... after about 30 or 40 riding days... and I softened the core on a Burton Custom in less than 25 riding days.

Most boards I've had, are either speciality boards such as powder boards, broken prematurely via accident, or I decided to sell because my needs had changed...

Guest Todd Stewart

i've had my coiler for 4 years with about 30-40 days of riding per year with a few brutal crashes. Mid way through last year i could feel it starting to lose it's kick it use yo have.

My problem is that I always sell my boards after just a short time in still almost new condition (Yes, I agree, I have an issue here and I should seek counseling)… :rolleyes:

But what happened is that by doing this I really found more and more what I really wanted in a board… will it ever end, I don’t know… :confused:

I have a trick now! I started to get my personal signature for any of my new boards… yes, “under” the clear coat! This should make it more difficult for me to sell my new stuff… (not too many Ray’s out there on plates with my height and weight) ahhhh, only one board left without my name on it. HELP !

Ah, but it is - I usually wrack up the edges or base long before the life is gone out of the thing.

I guess I was looking for core life. I may get in touch with Bruce and try to measure the stiffness of my AM myself and compare it to when it was fresh. I must have at least 100 days on it now. it still felt great at the close of last season and no major edge or base damage. my first base grind on it will be to prep it for this coming season.

I think 100 days is a nice round number.

100 days? That's not even a full season for me. I've got that many days on my Prior WCR, and the difference from when I first got it is negligible.

I think that you have to take into consideration whether snowmaking at your resort is 100 percent coverage like most of the resorts in the east as opposed to the steeps and chutes like the majority of the resorts in the west. When I rode at Beaver Valley, I could see getting decades out of a board because the hill always had approx 1 m of coverage. When I moved out west (Best thing I ever did), You can encounter variable snow depths from a few inches on the steeps to 1-2 m on the flats. Out here, there is more of a chance of core shots and other damage due to rocks and stumps. Other than wearing out your core flex, I think the edge life and base thickness would wear out way before the wood weakens.

Let's see here...

88-92K2 Gyrator, no camber after ~30 days on it (foam core)

92-94 Aggression Tarquin - cracked after ~25 days (me being stupid)

94-96 Nitro Diablo - cracked after ~25 days (me still stupid)

97-98 Three Aggressions cracked after 1-4 days each (me smart, boards suck)

98-01 Sims Search 171 - no edge left, base trashed, 50 days, still has camber (damn rocks)

01-02 CustomCraft 170, ~10 days, still in good shape, one edge ragged (damn rocks)

02-04 Coiler 174 - ~65 days, no camber (I think it's the moguls)

04-05 new Coiler 174, no snow (friggin' el nino)

05-07 will beat the crap out of my new Coiler (prolly get another, too)

Dates and numbers are approximate, but not too far off.

You people with 100 days/season boggle my mind. I'm lucky to get 20.

(They're all 6-8 hours riding pretty much as hard as I can, though.)

Let's see here...

88-92K2 Gyrator, no camber after ~30 days on it (foam core)

92-94 Aggression Tarquin - cracked after ~25 days (me being stupid)

94-96 Nitro Diablo - cracked after ~25 days (me still stupid)

97-98 Three Aggressions cracked after 1-4 days each (me smart, boards suck)

98-01 Sims Search 171 - no edge left, base trashed, 50 days, still has camber (damn rocks)

01-02 CustomCraft 170, ~10 days, still in good shape, one edge ragged (damn rocks)

02-04 Coiler 174 - ~65 days, no camber (I think it's the moguls)

04-05 new Coiler 174, no snow (friggin' el nino)

05-07 will beat the crap out of my new Coiler (prolly get another, too)

Dates and numbers are approximate, but not too far off.

You people with 100 days/season boggle my mind. I'm lucky to get 20.

(They're all 6-8 hours riding pretty much as hard as I can, though.)

How much do you weigh Nate? Also - how long do your automobiles last?