Note to New Members ×

Ahhh... Burton Pro Form! BUNK!

Bordy

If only I was trying to buy clothing. I learned that lesson a few years ago, and now rock non-snowboard company clothes. The ones that are, gasp, more concerned with function than fashion. I wanted padded shorts, i like how the padding is removable. oh well, if burton makes it there must be atleast 1 other company who made it first :D

I just need to add that style is very very important. Good style gear can turn someone into looking ok to Pro. Now this does not mean that his riding is anygood but at least you dont look like a hack. Alpine is allready going down the drain, style can make people want to do it. I dont care what anyone sais Style is just as important as your turns.

Let take me for eg. I dont care how good i am. If i am wearing super tight pants and a old non matching jacket that is too big, and lets not forget my hat that is 2 feet long with a bell at the end. You could be Pro and look like a fool.

PS burton still sucks

PSS look what started now :rolleyes:

Let take me for eg. I dont care how good i am. If i am wearing super tight pants and a old non matching jacket that is too big, and lets not forget my hat that is 2 feet long with a bell at the end. You could be Pro and look like a fool.

Actually, I disagree. If you're tearing down the mountain laying pencil-thin trenches on every turn, blowing the doors off every two-planker on the mountain (not to mention the park kiddies), it really doesn't matter what you're wearing.

In fact, if you're wearing comically out of style clothing, it's actually kind of cool. Because then the message you're sending is "hey, you know what? No matter what Burton wants you to think, this isn't about what you wear, it's about how you ride."

So the interaction between riding skillz and clothing goes something like this:

-Great riding+ugly clothes=cool

-Great riding+stylish clothes=also pretty cool

-Average riding+ugly clothes=oh well, at least you're not pretending to be something you're not.

-Average riding+stylish clothes=tool that bought into the marketing message from Burton and other major snowboard companies.

I've seen too many nincompoops drop the cash on top-end clothes and gear before riding a day in their lives. Screw that. I have a teal North Face parka with yellow trim from 1990 or so that's the ugliest thing you've ever seen on the mountain...cool.

I like black. I like short jackets. That means I need bib pants, because snow up my back sucks. I like stuff that is loose enough to allow movement, but otherwise trim-fitting. I don't ride 100 days a year like some of you guys, so my stuff lasts a lot longer, and I don't care to replace it just because fashion changes.

Does it show you're old when you like bib pants? I like bib pants way more than snow down my a$$ when I can off. But from above threads, at least I'm not alone... I feel better now ...

I have my eye on a new set of bibs from MEC this season - soft shell, lined and stretchy ones that look really comfy, and will be great as I'm not hardcore enough to board in colder than -10C.

I have a b***h with a lot of the girls gear. It seems like you can't be skinny and tall. If the pants are long enough in the inseam they're too big in the waist, and if they fit in the waist they're capris. What's up with that? Do you guys have the same problem???

I saw a skier in whistler about 4 years ago who won the award for best outfit on a skier. Tall guy, easily over 6ft. decked out in a leatehr cowboy hat, black skin tight jeans and a black leather ankle length trenchcoat that was unbutoned, so it more resembled a cape flapping in the breeze. I refered to him as the leather zoro.

What makes this even funnier,and ties it to burton is that the next year in the analog line burton came out with an entirely leather outfit, pants, jacket gloves, all that was missing was the cowboy hat.

Apparently leather zoro was ahead of his time, thus making him an awesomely gnarly skier, because if you have cool digs, the skills are sure to follow. And here I thought sticking your butt out while in a power wedge was a beginer move :biggthump

Does it show you're old when you like bib pants? I like bib pants way more than snow down my a$$ when I can off. But from above threads, at least I'm not alone... I feel better now ...

I have my eye on a new set of bibs from MEC this season - soft shell, lined and stretchy ones that look really comfy, and will be great as I'm not hardcore enough to board in colder than -10C.

I have a b***h with a lot of the girls gear. It seems like you can't be skinny and tall. If the pants are long enough in the inseam they're too big in the waist, and if they fit in the waist they're capris. What's up with that? Do you guys have the same problem???

Bib pants are great because of the reason you mention, no snow gets in. But it must much of a hassle when you go to the bathroom.

About soft shells, I am not so sure as they are (for the most) not waterproof, just water resistant (for additional breathability) and when you sit in snow, your rear can still get wet.

As for the girl's gear, my GF as the same issue. Sometimes, men's pants (for tall skinny guys) can fit her better than womens pants. But it does not work for everything.

Allee,

I bought bibs that fit around the waist with velcro to adjust the length of the shoulder straps, but they were capris and gave me a wedgie... so I went to Ikea and got some of the velcro cable wraps for typing up computer/AV cords and extended the straps to remove the wedgification and make sure the snow stays out of my boots. Think about extending the straps somehow.

Or just buy men's gear.

beth

No, because we don't have stupid sizes like "10", we have by waist and inseam. Guys who hit the gym a lot can have problems with the butt and thighs being too tight when the waist fits.

I take that back - was thinking about normal clothes, not snowboard gear which usually comes in s,m,l etc. MEC offers tall sizes for some of their gear which is helpful. I've got short legs but long arms, so a regular on the bottom is OK but I really like a tall size for the jacket. XL fits the arms but I'm swimming in the body.