Note to New Members ×

Is this a new deelux boot ?

BobD

But then the flames would melt the snow!... oh! you meant the Supermoto's... nevermind... :)

Yeah but when your butt gets numb from waiting in the snow for your slow friends, you can turn on the flames to heat it back up. Also I would like to see the faces of the Groms that step on your board when you blacken the nose of their board and shins. :flamethro

I think I'm gonna pick up a STIFF softie setup and learn how to ride fakie again. Any suggestions ?

One suggestion: forget about the softie stuff, just get an all-mountain alpine board. (I'm told it's possible to ride switch well on a "true" alpine board the but square tails frighten me). Since if you are (were?) already comfortable riding fakie in soft gear, I bet you can do it 90% as well on hard gear, and fully as well after a few days (just a couple days if you really focus on it). It's different, but not really harder.

Oh, and r.e. stickers on computers - I read the other day that Dell was negotiating with Intel and Microsoft to build machines without stickers because it would make their assembly line just that much quicker.

I'm told it's possible to ride switch well on a "true" alpine board the but square tails frighten me

My jaw dropped while I watched Sean Cassidy rockin' it switch on a Donek 186 GS stick, two Mays ago @ Timberline. I have a tough time riding switch in hardboots, period, even on my trusty and freidnly Axis 172...

I have been riding switch for over a decade and still have a hard time in some snow! Its not as easy as you would think in soft snow although I rode around most of SES switch and very few people even noticed. I even put a run under the limbo bar in switch and was the only guy to try... and make the limbo bar switch and heelside. There is some teaser video at the end of Our first video at the hardbooter siteBottom of the page here . We have gotten a lot of smack for the riding quility but keep in mind we are riding in 2-8 inches of slush most of the day on gear we never ride(kessler excluded) Less in the Am more in the PM and for all the switch riding also. I feel very comfey switch and can ride any terrain that way but it does not look so pretty.

Nate W says

"Since if you are (were?) already comfortable riding fakie in soft gear, I bet you can do it 90% as well on hard gear, and fully as well after a few days (just a couple days if you really focus on it). It's different, but not really harder."

I would be very impressed by the rider who could make it happen in a few days I have been trying since the early 90's and generally get mad props when I rock the tail end first. :D

Hey Willywhit,

I use Vans boots with the BOA system for my soft setup and I like them alot. I could never seem to get me laces tight enough before I got those. Now I can just twist the dial anytime I need to. As for the bindings I've been using Switch for several years and like those too but I'm also a sucker for the SI's.

I'd really like to find a STIFF soft setup or even a dialed down boot like that supermoto. I've chased PSR around on his RadAir Tanker with softies and he makes it look wicked fun since he's a carver at heart.All the kitesurfing I've been doing, it's made me get pretty good at riding switch and flipping to toeside at speed.I've always envied the guys that can pop to fakie at speed and basically carve backwards in softies. Being regular, it's too easy to ride with my right foot in the back all the time, surfer style. What's a good stiff twin tip BX type board for aggressive switch riding ? btw, I'm 6'1" 225 pounds and a pretty strong rider

and as comfortably as you ride facing forward?

I just dont understand this...people claim to be able to rock bumps, fakie, etc...on flat tailed boards, and honestly until I see it Im not buyin it

besides..>WHY? theyre not made for that!

:)

at least you clarified groomed...but I still cant see how you could ride equally as good when youre facing 50* or more _away_ from the direction of travel.

the first person that claims they can rock 3' of fresh, fakie, on a flat tail gets a kick in the pants

I'm liking the look of the new BOA system with the cable in the lace up. Flow seems to be the softie binding of choice. I haven't had a softie set up in years but I think I'm gonna pick up a STIFF softie setup and learn how to ride fakie again. Any suggestions ?

The new DC soft boots that I ordered yesterday have the cable system in them and it is pretty awesome. A friend of mine doesn't like them though because he has a big calf and the system cranks the lace at the same pressure all the way up the boot, which he doesn't like. Me on the other hand, I think it is great.

I also have a set of 3 year old Flow bindings, which I am due to replace this year. For our hills here, which are short runs and have crappy snow, the step in's are great because you don't waste time at the top of the run strapping in. But there is way too much flex in the binding (particularly side to side) and they are hard to get really tight across the toe. They are also a bugger to get into in powder. As much as I hate the hassle of ratcheting in at the start of every run, I am going back to a stiff set of straps this year for sure.

Guest dragon fly jones

Where was this found? Maybe I missed the link. Or was the thing photoshopped?

Just wondering.

Billy you should not be even thinking of riding backwards, get healthy first and then start plotting your doom - kidding - I love ya man.