Note to New Members ×

ESES - Eastern Sierra Expression Session

nekdut

Will you attend?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend?

• Yes!
    • Yes, I would like to, but the date does not work for me.
    • Maybe, its too far out to tell.
    • No, I spent all of my $ on SES and/or ECES.

From oldsnowboard's thread, there seems to be some interested in an expression session at June and Mammoth this coming season. How many of you are intersted? TC'ers, head on down the 395! We're not that far away.

To avoid conflicting with SES or ECES, I am proposing April 1-3 as a tentative date. The crowds will have died off and we will still be in the heart of Mammoth's winter season.

Flights into the area are best through RNO, which is about 2 hours to the north.

I'd love to, but I have races that weekend. How about the following weekend? Or even the first weekend in May would be fun. There'll be no one there.

The weekend after the 1st would probably work too, like I said, it was just a tentative date I threw out there.

However, the first weekend in May is typically BAD, since it is the first weekend that new season pass holders can use their passes at Mammoth. I was there the first weekend this past May and the parking situation felt as bad as a holiday weekend. On top of that, half of the mountain closes from May onward due to lower attendance and staffing. Also, June Mtn closes at the end of April (even though there will likely be tons of snow) again, due to lack of staff.

Any time in early April would probably work, as long as we dont conflict too much with MHES if it happens again this year.

Guest Randy S.

I think the USASA National's are that first weekend, but I'm not sure. We should check on those dates. If we had the ESES session right after that, we might get some folks who come to Tahoe for USASA and get them to stay on an extra few days.

Randy

We rode June Mt. on March 31st and April 1 (Thu/Fri) this past season - the following weekend (8th-10th) was their last of the season. They still had TONS of snow :confused:

Actually, it does make some sense. This was at the end of spring break for students in the entire LA basin area (which is why Mammoth was a ZOO :mad: ). Even then, there were NO crowds at June. Tells me that business had already tapered off for them. All about the bottom line :rolleyes:

I say late March/Early April - but still beware of spring break. Those two days at Mammoth were ok - but the spring break crowds really took a lot of the fun out of it :barf:

I would love to go - but don't know if ankle will be healed by then - I hope so. Keep in mind that in addition to MHES, USASA North & South Tahoe Races, there is also the CNISSF (Calif/Nev high school) Championships will be held a Mammoth from March 5-10 ( http://www.cnissf.org/champs.html ). USASA Champs at Northstar March 27-April 1.

2nd weekend of April looks awesome for me.:lurk:

Long drive from WA! However, I did it twice last season. Love to do it again if at all possible. I was down for The Donner's Legends event and if they have that again this year I could only hope to make the same route work again!!

More Alpine Events!!!

PS. MHES? Mt Hood Expression Session?

I think the USASA National's are that first weekend, but I'm not sure. We should check on those dates. If we had the ESES session right after that, we might get some folks who come to Tahoe for USASA and get them to stay on an extra few days.

Randy

If the dates work out...I'm there...I expect to be at nationals again this year...

I plan to organize a session but NOT at Timberline during May. Too much weather risk, and too much risk at that Timberline will screw us with shutting own lift ops on all by Fri-Sun.

I floated the idea of doing it at Bachelor, obviously because it's my new local hill, and also it's better equipped for carving in cloudy / foggy weather.

I was thinking late March, after spring break.

Bryan - what did you have in mind for PNWES? Let's compare notes.

Okay based on feedback so far, the 2nd weekend of April is looking like a good date for most of us (7th-9th). This could work well for those at Nationals, as well as not conflict with Mike's session at Bachelor.

If we get enough interest, I can see if the mountain has any package deals that we could work out. Otherwise this might be a "show up and carve" sort of deal.

ESES? Or Sierra Nevada Expression Session (SNES!! :lol: )

Guest Randy S.

I just looked at the USASA schedule. It ends on April 1. So if you want to have people be able to stick around, perhaps that first weekend in April is the best. I have races at Alpine Meadows that weekend so I couldn't make Mammoth.

Or another idea: Do something at Alpine Meadows (yes, I'm being selfish here) on April 1-2 and Mammoth on April 3-4-5. I might talk myself into taking those extra days off, since my Birthday falls in there.

I just looked at the USASA schedule. It ends on April 1. So if you want to have people be able to stick around, perhaps that first weekend in April is the best. I have races at Alpine Meadows that weekend so I couldn't make Mammoth.

Or another idea: Do something at Alpine Meadows (yes, I'm being selfish here) on April 1-2 and Mammoth on April 3-4-5. I might talk myself into taking those extra days off, since my Birthday falls in there.

what are the alpine meadows races? I may have some racers who would like to extend trheir trip...

Hmm.. This may be tricky to plan to accomodate everyone. When you say "ends on April 1", that means you guys wouldn't be able to get down to Mammoth until Sunday at the earliest, right?

I'm basically a weekend warrior and will probably be burning my 1 long snow trip of the season in Aspen at SES. Not sure how many people would be willing to make a mid-week trip.

even in the early spring isnt a bit of a bitch to get from tahoe to mammoth? its definitely not a bad road once you get out of tahoe...only what...3 hours or so?

guess thats not so bad

When the roads are clear its 2-2.5 hrs, however early April can still bring some big storms so its hard to tell at this point.

Guest Randy S.
what are the alpine meadows races? I may have some racers who would like to extend trheir trip...

Local weekend-warrior league. You guys wouldn't be interested. Probably not welcome either, since it'll be the league finals.