Note to New Members ×

board size help!

AndyYT316

Guest Randy S.

Dang! You are one skinny dude.

I'm 5'10", but I weigh nearly 200lbs. Yeah, I'd say something in the 160s would work for you. I've ridden GS on my 171 and 185, both work.

Maybe look at the small Donek Freecarve. Unless you are really aggressive, you may not be able to flex their race decks well enough. If you really want a race deck, consider one of the soft flexing ones they've built. I'd strongly suggest you call Sean at Donek and discuss it with him. He'll be able to make a good suggestion.

Guest Randy S.

Oh, I just noticed that you are in Provo. Look up the guys at hardbooter.com. Tille and Bordy. They may have some demo boards you could try out. There are also some skinny kids on the Park City team so they'll have some experience there.

I'm only 3/4 of an inch taller than you, and I'm really happy with a 172 GS deck. (I do weigh 20 pounds more than you though.)

I'm riding an Oxygen Proton from I think the 02/03 model year (black with red/white graphics). It's pretty soft (not a criticism by any means - I love this board) and I think a Proton might be a decent match for your weight, either at 172 cm or the next size down. I've never ridden other GS-specific decks, so I'm comparing to freecarve and freeride decks, but I find the Proton pretty accommodating: very damp, nice and soft, and highly tolerant of operator error (I've been riding it a couple of seasons, so it must be used to it by now :-).

Whatever you end up with, enjoy!

Another vote for the proton in the 68 or so. I'm assuming you are new to racing? I race one of these in HS. I was a bit heavier then you, but not tons. I liked that I could skid the hell out of it if I was blowing out of a gate, something I have a harder time doing on my current 186. :nono: I'm heavier now, not much though. Lots of kids racing on better teams were pushing Rossi's (back when they distributed Bombers) and the like, and I don't think anyone was on a board over 172. I'm using them as weight to height comparisons. For GS I would look at stock equipment as far as good flex for your size, and try to keep the sidecut radius in the 14-16m range for GS. There is a good del on a Hooger in the classifieds, and Prior has a demo 171 at the moment.

Hey, I weigh about 135lbs 5'10" and I'm used to riding a burton 164 boardercross board. What would be a good size carving board to start gs racing on? Maybe a 164?

You are about the same size as my son - he is about 155 lbs. He rides a couple of boards quite well. His favorite is a Volkl GS 173. If you get a chance try the GS 168 by Volkl, It would do you very well in my ever so humble opinion.

Just saw that you are a Utah person, Billy and Dave from hardbooter.com should have something laying around that would suit you to start with, if you are planning on spending anytime riding at Park City let us know. Also our team will be putting on two USASA races this winter one at Snowbasin and one at Snowbird, go to www.pcsbt.org as it get closer to winter and we'll have the dates posted there.

Donek 167 Freecarve I. Maybe even a 171 (my personal favorite).

A carving set-up will always be longer then your freeride rig. Actually, for me my carving rig has become my freeride rig! Peace Out.

BTW - eat something for gods sake! I want to see you at 150 by spring or I'm calling Family Services!