Note to New Members ×

MK Mutant Review Day 1

With my season not starting until March because of surgeries I've just gotten enough of my groove back to finally (have the courage!) to get out on my MK Mutant Sean created for me....as a reminder it's a MK variant that's 20W with UPM inserts and I put a Donek F plate on it with TD3 SW SI's on BP lowers.

As Sean suggested I did have it ground and waxed plus 1/2 edges.  Like me, it's been sitting on the sidelines since Nov. but since March I've been out quite alot on my more forgiving Moss PQ60 and finally moved up to my Coiler Angrry SST and have had a few semi good runs on the Angrry.

Anyway decided it was now or never to give the MK a trial run in our Spring conditions before we loose the freeze/thaw action on the groom that will prohibit any attempts at carving....  

So for my 1st day/3 hours before it turned to slop and chop I have to say.... Wow!  Now to be clear, I love my Coiler Angrry but this MK variant takes fun to a whole other level!    It tracks straight off the lift and picks up crazy speed!   In our semi firm morning conditions on the groomers it's quick edge to edge, even quicker than my 20w Angrry!   It felt very maneuverable but not overly temperamental to only be hard carving and was as happy cruising  as it was turning/craving...but when you even think about tipping it over it snaps around so quick (even with a isolation UPM F plate!) it will pop your dental filings out!

I expected some of the famously quick MK maneuvering but it came effortlessly and surprisingly quick and threw me in the back seat the first few times!  For general riding imo, with this MK variant  you don't have to stay ahead of it like you do on a Donek Rev to keep it from pitching you in the woods...unless your pushing the carving envelope....which I'm far from this season! 

I felt like I could have ridden it all day and I never experienced the dreaded MK buzz .....both of which was part of my decision (and supported in theory by Sean) to put a plate on it!  

But overall What A Blast!   Can't wait until next season to turn it loose on the Olympic run/lift over at Heavenly! 

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 1

What next season?  Go to Mammoth. It was very hot this weekend Kirkwood was good for just a couple hours, after lunch time to go home, but no people it was great. They closing next weekend. Another reason for Mammoth. Good you like your custom Donek. I found also board working best for my disability. I know people will be laughing 157 Kessler Alp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ladia said:

Kirkwood was good for just a couple hours

Hey Ladia

Just Damn glad to hear your still getting after it!   Keep it up my man!   Come up to Boreal for some night riding with me next season under the lights....you'd be surprised how bright the runs are lit up....even when it's dumping! 

2 hours ago, Ladia said:

was good for just a couple hours

Yeah, same here at Squaw/Palisades......by 11am I head out or switch to my Slush Slayer, Moss PQ60!  

9 hours ago, Ladia said:

not sure with my visiion

I here ya Ladia!  It seems the older I get the more the Planets have to align to have a good carving day!     

Uneven grooming, uneven lighting,  uneven snow quality....any of the above and there's a high probability I'm gonna have  a challenging day on the slopes!

15 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

a man having a great day!

Hey...... if a MK is good enough to be Sean's every day daily driver, then By God that's good enough for this mere mortal to give it a go!

12 hours ago, dredman said:

adding the Donek Secret Construction

Hey D,  yea Sean offered that as another variant possibility but that was an unknown to me I didn't want to risk.  With my experience as the last holdout of all things UPM I felt confident that adding UPM inserts and a plate  would  decrease the dreaded MK Buzz while increasing the ride time before the MK took it's toll on the rider....not to mention the reduced impact on your knees a plate provides!

So far I think I proved my hypothesis correct.....And it will still turn on a dime and leave  .09 cents change!   ....and maybe a case of whiplash!!

I will say the day of my barely 3 hour test drive I stopped before I got tired, so I  know I didn't overdue it but the day after and today I feel really beat up...my  knees and thighs are really tight! 

Which is strange as my Angrry never beat me up this bad!  Well I knew/expected the MK to demand and produce more muscle fatigue but this MK is teaching me I got muscles I didn't know I had!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Day 2?

Hey Shortstuff,

Oh yea, there was a day 2 and a day 3 but with the freeze  thaw timeframe of Spring skiing conditions to contend with out here in the Sierras it was basically an hour on day 2 and  an hour+ max on day 3 before the conditions  turned to mush each day.

I might not have had the best conditions to evaluate this MK mutant but the UPM F Plate dampens the ride so much the  ride isn't much different than my Coiler Angrry 160 SST..... I will say the MK is much quicker edge to edge even though both boards are 20w, and therefore the MK is more exciting....when you tip it, and I mean barely tip it and it will launch you!   But imo my Angrry gives an overall more lively ride....if that makes any sense at all!

I'll let the MK go unless I  find another aspect to the MK ride  that outshines my Angrry in a majority of riding experiences.....not just turning.

Interesting. Sounds like a different approach to nose sidecut/design. I always enjoy those type of nuances on otherwise similar boards. I don’t think your Angrry is a Contra design (?) but I’ve definitely found Contra does have a slower initial turn hookup until you can get it high up on edge, it does not grab and spit you into the turn….

47 minutes ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Angrry is a Contra design

I said NO when  Bruce offered that "Contra" build option!                   I wanted a true authentic Angrry that hooks up when you just think about turning!