Note to New Members ×

Somewhat O/T: snow-worthy cars

Mike T

do yourself a favor, and put a set (4) Bridgestone Blizzak's on it, for the winter!

I had a car I was scared to drive in 1" of snow (and not much scares me). I put 4 Blizzak's on it and plowed my way to work, no matter how deep, as long as the tires were making contact !

Now they'll go on anything I own ( keep them mounted on spare rims) for the winter, until I find something better.

They are an AWESOME winter tire, but get them off ASAP (really soft /wear fast on dry, warmer roads) and save them for the next winter season.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice ride dude!

About the Blizzaks recommended above, I have heard some good thing about them, but some bad things also. Yes, they do wear fast, but I have also heard some complaints that when the roads are dry (as they are not always covered in snow in the winter like we would wish), they have a really vague handling, which some snow tires don't have. That is the reason I had some Pirellis on my car last winter. I still don't know what I will put on my new car this winter.

But remember, like for your car, take the time to shop around for good winter tires. A good car is nothing on bad tires.

The basic rule for snow tires is that they are all better than none, and all are roughly equivalent to each other. The exceptions would be "special application" tires like various 'hardcore' snow tires from Nokian.

It's funny reading tire reviews on the internet. Manufacturers change compounds, construction, and tread every year, yet people are "reviewing" tires based on their experiences with them 5 or more years ago. Everybody likes to pass opinion off as fact.

• 1 year later...

A year has passed and I'm thinking about replacing my trusty Honda Civic and am 90% sure I'm going with a 2007 Subaru Legacy. I'm debating whether it's worth the extra $4k for the turbo version and the 5-speed automatic. Has anyone here driven the non-Turbo and though it was adequate for high mountain passes? Did everyone get it just for the fun factor? What about turbo lag, I've read that the cars have a bit of hesitation around dead stop and in the 60 mph range.

Currently my Civic seems to have trouble when loaded with 4 people and gear on steep roads and high altitudes. Ironically, the passenger cabin is actually larger in my Civic than any of the Subaru wagons.

The exceptions would be "special application" tires like various 'hardcore' snow tires from Nokian.

I cant see how I could miss this thread... but neverhtless, Im wearing my Nokian cap. I absolutely -SWEAR- by those Nokian tires, man. I got two set of 'em -- studded and summer tires. They -really- work. FWIW, I possess a Tacoma Pre-Runner Tacoma.

I don't have experience with that car, but turbos are the ticket for altitude. Or at least, my old Mustang with the turbo worked great. It never seemed down on power at all at altitude, and would easily pass other cars wheezing up inclines.
Right, that's what my friend told me. I don't need to pass every car going up the hill though... just the ones going under the speed limit.

A year has passed and I'm thinking about replacing my trusty Honda Civic and am 90% sure I'm going with a 2007 Subaru Legacy. I'm debating whether it's worth the extra $4k for the turbo version and the 5-speed automatic. Has anyone here driven the non-Turbo and though it was adequate for high mountain passes? Did everyone get it just for the fun factor? What about turbo lag, I've read that the cars have a bit of hesitation around dead stop and in the 60 mph range.

Currently my Civic seems to have trouble when loaded with 4 people and gear on steep roads and high altitudes. Ironically, the passenger cabin is actually larger in my Civic than any of the Subaru wagons.

I picked up my 05 Legacy GT last July and it was AWESOME this past winter. There is a significant difference in power with the turbo engine. Passing anyone is a breeze and you'll hit triple digits almost too easily so watch out. The 5MT works out a lot better than the 5EAT. For some reason the auto transmission is not matched very well to the output of the engine. Be careful though, there are so many available modifications for this car (engine, suspension, brakes, interior, audio) that you'll start dumping too much money into the car before too long. Its real easy to tune the engine to WRX STI power levels.

Regarding the wagons, unfortunately you will not be able to find one in a stick any more. Subaru is being stupid and not offering manual wagons! :angryfire Your option is getting an manual Outback, as it is essentially the same car, but it rides a bit higher, with softer suspension, and slightly smaller brakes.

For 07, the Spec B looks like a really great choice this time around as they offer a 6MT.

Go visit http://legacygt.com/ for way too much information. They're a helpful bunch so ask away.

Seems like everyone is seduced by the power of the turbo :) How hard would it be to modify a non-turbo automatic to make it perform a little better so it doesn't chug on mountain roads. Is it really that poor a performer? I really don't want to bother with a manual transmission.

The gains from modifying the non turbo 2.5i are minimal unfortunately. Go for the LGT Wagon with the 5EAT then. Its not bad in any sense, its just the 5MT is that much more fun ;)

I love my LGT wagon also and have a rare 05 5-speed manual . I bought it more for the thrill factor but it handles awesome in the snow too. Like nekdut said it becomes hard to resist modding the car. However a few small mods totally eliminate turbo lag and bring the car alive. These mods also net improved gas mileage (23-24 average) 28 best , 17 worst. I had a 98 outback prior to this with the 2.5l na engine and it was unstopable with 4x4 studs. I think a regular lgt would be fine if you could get it in a 5-speed as the auto might be a little pokey unless you get a turbo. The cons of the new subarus is poor paint that easily scratchs and chips from driving up the passes where they sand alot.

Jim

post-219-141842219172_thumb.jpg

The LGT with a manual transmission is a heck of a value. It's a pretty nice car which offers pretty reasonable (but not mind-blowing) performance when equipped with a stick. It is very good (but again, not mind-blowing) in the snow, especially with proper snow tires.

As has already been said, Subaru no longer offers the wagon with a manual transmission. You may still be able to find an 06 with one, but they're pretty rare. The manual transmission makes a very big difference in this car. The motor is somewhat laggy to begin with, and with an automatic you will have to deal with transmission lag as well. With the automatic, you could find yourself waiting as much as a full second between when you put your foot down and when you can make the pass. With the manual, you'll already be in 3rd and ready to go.

Definitely get the turbo 2.5. Turbos rock (heck, my car has two!) at all altitudes, and the gap between turbo and NA grows the further you go up. The other thing is that with an auto and the NA motor, the car is a real dog. The turbo is essential for climbing and passing, not just for going faster. With more power, you can make passes in shorter distances.

If you are a tweaker or don't mind dabbling in the aftermarket, the turbo is also a vastly better platform.

wearing my Nokian cap. I absolutely -SWEAR- by those Nokian tires, man. I got two set of 'em -- studded and summer tires.

Yup, the Nokian winter tires rock. I'll be rolling on a fresh set of Nokian RSIs this winter.

Never tried their summer tires before. I've been quite happy with the Kumho MX which is very grippy and also fairly cheap.

Seems like everyone is seduced by the power of the turbo How hard would it be to modify a non-turbo automatic to make it perform a little better so it doesn't chug on mountain roads. Is it really that poor a performer? I really don't want to bother with a manual transmission

If you go and test drive the cars, test out an automatic and then a Manual one. A smile will come across your face with the manual and you will make up your mind.

I did it with my old 98 legacy. Nicest car I have owned yet but not enough room for gear, dogs and the rest of the family. Its too bad but when we downgrade in a few years, we will probably pick up another one.

Yup, the Nokian winter tires rock. I'll be rolling on a fresh set of Nokian RSIs this winter.

I outfitted my '05 OB XT with last year's RSIs. WOW. We don't see a lot of smooth ice on the roads around here but in snow of any type they simply rocked. What's more, they held their own on dry and wet roads... no worse than the stock all-weather tires (which admittedly suck, but you'd think they'd be better than winter tires on dry roads...)

FWIW I've been very pleased with the OB XT manual. I'm not a car enthusiant by any means but I like to be able to pass when the occasion calls for it, and it's been fabulous in that regard. My wife bought an '06 OB H6, I definitley like the rubo better :)

A couple weeks ago I test-drove an VW R32, BMW 325xi, Subaru WRX, and a Subaru GT sedan. Before all of that, I wanted the 325xi (I have a 325iX now), thought I might like the R32 enough to rationalize buying a tiny car with a weak repair history, and figured I should check out the GT just on principle. The GT was the winner by far. The others were underwhelming, and the GT greatly exceeded my expectations. Way more power than I expected, no lag to speak of and super comfortable. The WRX probably is faster, but the GT felt faster, and the acceleration was definitely much smoother. And, as others have mentioned, lots of aftermarket goodies...

I still need to try an Audi Allroad, but in the meantime I'm keeping an eye out for a 5MT GT Limited wagon and I might probably grab the first one I see in a color I like.

I love my 325iX is really fun, so I was sure I was going to love the 325xi, but the 325xi coupe has less power and more weight than the Legacy wagon, and costs $10k more. And the interior seems to have been design by someone with long arms and short legs, it just felt weird. I'm still bitter.

The WRX probably is faster, but the GT felt faster, and the acceleration was definitely much smoother. And, as others have mentioned, lots of aftermarket goodies...

Actually, the 5MT LGT gets to 60 in 5.2, the quarter mile in 13.9, faster than the WRX. Thats stock, and damn fast for a "family sedan/wagon". :biggthump

Do you guys get diesels over from us euros now...? I mean a VW/Audi with quattro/4motion system fitted with a 2/2.5 liter turbo diesel just rocks and you can drive 26-27 mpg ... i read a paper on the US getting bigger diesel sales since the gas price raised up... what are they?

N.

Do you guys get diesels over from us euros now...? I mean a VW/Audi with quattro/4motion system fitted with a 2/2.5 liter turbo diesel just rocks and you can drive 26-27 mpg ... i read a paper on the US getting bigger diesel sales since the gas price raised up... what are they?

N.

America sucks for diesels. There are only two companies that sell diesels for passenger cars. VW and MB..We only get the 1.9L turbo diesel motor as an option in VW dont know about the MB. This year all diesels must conform to the emission standards of gas powered passenger cars...so for model year 2007 the only company that can sell a diesel in all 50 states in MB..VW has not been ceritfied yet...also all stations must sell low sulfur fuel....

America sucks for diesels. There are only two companies that sell diesels for passenger cars. VW and MB..We only get the 1.9L turbo diesel motor as an option in VW dont know about the MB. This year all diesels must conform to the emission standards of gas powered passenger cars...so for model year 2007 the only company that can sell a diesel in all 50 states in MB..VW has not been ceritfied yet...also all stations must sell low sulfur fuel....

Actually, MB's deisel just failed the test and will only be legal in 45 states. The new deisel emissions regs are strict, but they are not the same as for gasoline powered cars.

The Jetta TDi that we get right now does require low-sulfur fuel, but it isn't the latest & greatest deisel lump from VAG. Even so, it does get unbelievably good mileage - I think MotorWeek got 48mpg mixed duty in their test.

By the sounds of things here it seems everyone is a bit more sporty than I am. I need complete utilitarian with creature comforts. I chose the Honda Element, it's a love it or hate it by looks only but once you get used to the features it's hard to turn down. Works awesome in winter. I hit a huge storm last year on my trip going over Vail Pass and thru the Eisenhower Tunnel. The only other car staying with me was a Subbie WRX and we cruised the fast lane. It was dumping and the roads sucked but we were passing without any issues. But I need room for the toys and a cheap place to sleep on road trips and the Element is the ticket.

Pluses:

1)Goes from 2 seater van to 3 seater to 4 seat options in 2 minutes.

2)The little lady can hop to the back seat (living room comfort) to put on ski boots before we get into the parking lot.

3)I can hop into the back to put on boarding boots without ever getting out of the car in the parking lot.

4)The only board that needs to go between to front seats is the 196 when I don't use my roof box.

5)Seats flip down 100% to sleep in the parking lot waiting for the lifts to open on those big powder days when it's mandatory to be first in line.

6)SUV amenities with much better mileage. I avg 25 with my 2 Thule boxes on top.

7)to many other little things that come in handy for.

Minuses:

1) It's NOT a sports car.

2) A strong headwind will kill mileage (but a tail wind is welcome)

I have 2 boxes on top since I carry to many toys with me at all times and I like the organization the boxes give me and I can keep the inside open for sleeping. I do a 24 hour road trip each year and I find the car very comfortable for that.

More info than needed on the car is at elementownersclub.com

That's my thoughts on utilitarian.

Joel

post-242-141842219178_thumb.jpg