Note to New Members ×

Guns

NateW

Guest Randy S.

Alright Fin. When are you going to build us a TD-12 Guage? :AR15firin

Two planker gets in your way? No problem. :AR15firin Someone steps on the nose of your board in line? No problem. :AR15firin

Come on Bob Jenney. Mock one of those up for us, will ya?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first gun: Daisy Champion 99 BB Gun http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7140271441&category=71 132#ebayphotohosting Despite my dad's extensive hunting rifle collection , I never really got the gun bug. Riding skateboards was just way more fun than plinking beer cans.

I think I'm gonna pack heat @ SES next year, those lift rides up can be boring, and I need to put more stuff into all the pockets of my baggy pants, and if anyone cuts me trouble on the slopes, I'll be prepared :). So if I pull out a gun on the chair, I'm just messin' wit ya! I have a crazy sense of humor like that.

:confused:

Okay, you're just playin' around.

First, you couldn't legally do that. If you put it in your pocket, out of sight, it becomes a concealed weapon. If you have a "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" permit, good to go. I notice you're from the DC area, so in your case, no go. Colorado does not issue an out of state CCW permit. Take up residence, then you can. Second, if you did take a CCW course, which most "shall issue", states require, you would've learned that a permit is not a bullet proof vest or a vigilante card. CCW is a secret, you don't tell people you're packing, and you don't start walking down dark alleys. It's to save your life under the gravest of circumstances.

The ALPINE ASSASIN!!!!...Tired of wreckless skiiers or riders? Does enforcing to The Code just seem like a waste of time? If so, then The Alpine Assassin may be just the solution you're looking for. Instantly striking fear into the hearts of any rude riders / skiiers, the Alpine Assassin has different packages tailored to meet your problem. Ranging from the very public "Make a scene on the green" to the more low key "watch your tracks on the blacks," The Alpine Assasin will bring a whole new level to snow sports safety.

Coming to an SES near you....The Aspen Alpine Assassin.

In leiu of debating, I've decided to make it a joke :biggthump

Terror,

I was just stirrin the pot a little with the joke, although you can prolly figure out where I stand on the issue. Again, my last intention is to start a flame war, I have neither the desire nor time for such a dumb thing. and I love all my Alpine Brothers (even the few I wanna shoot...err I mean eye gouge).

Have fun while I'm gone (hopefully the rumors about Scandanavian women are true :) ),

Barry

...if i went into gangland and had to choose b/w going in with some dude who owns a gun and my unarmed combat instructor (who's not real big, btw, but has a lot of fighting experience and is trained in many techniques), I'd go with the instructor...

Barry

How about choosing between the unarmed combat instructor and an armed combat instructor who specializes in teaching firearms techniques to say SWAT/military? I definately go with the firearms instructor.

I think hand-to-hand fighting in gangland went out of style sometime after Westside Story.

However, I never venture into gangland.

I'm surprised nobody has a real pistol: a Colt M1911 .45 caliber --- which waxed more enemies than any other pistol in world history! I know lots of folks in the military who were hoppin' mad when the military went to 9mm pistols, since they aren't even very good for stopping dogs, much less people! :)...

The Model 1911 is still the mainstay for IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation). However, .45 is no longer the favorite round because you get larger mag capacity with .38 supers and .40.

For speed, accuracy and dependability you can't beat the single action Model 1911.

Cocked and locked BABY :biggthump

Uh oh.... if this turns into a 9mm vs 45 debate, I might have to suggest closing the thread. :-)

I don't own a gun yet, but my girlfriend and I got into target shooting this summer and now we're both looking for 1911s. There's something fascinating about trying to hold perfectly still while making something go BANG really lould and try to jump out of your hand. And there's something very satisfying about shooting a tight group. It's kinda like golf - minus the scenery and all the walking around lugging heavy stuff.

I went in to get a concealed carry permit a few weeks ago but they only offer them twice a week (for a two hour window each day). Basically it's all about making holes in paper, but I figure it's like a helmet - if I leave it at home the one day I actually need it, I'll feel like the world's biggest idiot.

Favorite gun is a Bear 9'2" single fin big wave gun shaped and signed by Laird's dad Billy.Looks like a longboard but rides much faster with thinner rails. We rarely get real waves here in NE so it hangs from the ceiling of the garage. It's got a hair trigger. :AR15firin

Handgun wise, I do carry, but not all the time. And, you'll never see it unless it's going to get used. Wintertime, usually it's my Glock 17 (9mm). Summertime, usually it's a North American Arms Guardian .32ACP. If I'm hunting and your allowed to carry a pistol, it'll be my S&W 4" Mountain Gun in .44mag. Of course there are others in the safe that get pulled out and carried when I feel like it....but these are the "usuals."

Handgun wise, I do carry, but not all the time. And, you'll never see it unless it's going to get used. Wintertime, usually it's my Glock 17 (9mm). Summertime, usually it's a North American Arms Guardian .32ACP. If I'm hunting and your allowed to carry a pistol, it'll be my S&W 4" Mountain Gun in .44mag. Of course there are others in the safe that get pulled out and carried when I feel like it....but these are the "usuals."

Fish - I am curious why you carry a large handgun when hunting? When I go I like to be light as possible since I usually walk a long distance to get away from the road hunters. Also since it is a 4" barrel I assume you are not using it as a primary hunting peice. Anyway why carry it?

I heard an interesting statistic the other day, don't know if it is ture, but anyway...

It said that if you are being held up by a thug (whatever that means) and you have the opportuninty to run, you should, because most of the people who use firearms in that way don't practice shooting, so statistically they will only hit you 1 out of 100 times, and it typically won't be lethal.

Kinda interesting......

The mountain gun series are fairly light, if I remember correctly, as a .44 mag. goes. Don't want to go to the range and run 50+ rounds through it for giggles though!

John. Even if it is light, why carry one when Hunting if it is not your primary weapon to hunt the animal? what would you use it for? It is not like you need more firepower out there in the woods.

Fish - I am curious why you carry a large handgun when hunting? When I go I like to be light as possible since I usually walk a long distance to get away from the road hunters. Also since it is a 4" barrel I assume you are not using it as a primary hunting peice. Anyway why carry it?

C5 - I should have phrased that a little better. My main quarry when carrying the .44 is boar (which I hunt with a re-curve bow). If you have ever been charged by a wounded and pissed off 250+# boar with tusks, you would know why I carry. The .44 is for backup purposes. Whether I am in a preserve in NY or VT, or going for wild ones in FL or GA, I will carry on boar hunts. I do have my CCW in multiple states. I hunt boar probably 5 times a year. IMHO, it is the best pork you can get, supermarkets can't touch it.

I also carry the .44 when big game hunting in UT and MT. Safety and comfort I guess, in case of bear or other "unfriendlys."

Otherwise when hunting near home (deer, upland, waterfowl, turkey, etc.) I don't carry any backup handguns.

Guest johann

Since I'm doing my first long boston butt smoke as we speak, I'd be super interested in trying a boar shoulder , although its prolly not as fatty and would come out much less moist.

hmm, guess I need to make friends wiht a hunter.

I heard an interesting statistic the other day, don't know if it is ture, but anyway...

It said that if you are being held up by a thug (whatever that means) and you have the opportuninty to run, you should, because most of the people who use firearms in that way don't practice shooting, so statistically they will only hit you 1 out of 100 times, and it typically won't be lethal.

Kinda interesting......

The statistic I remember is that most gun fights occur at 7 yards or less. If police are involved, they usually have a 20% hit rate (1 out of 5). Civilians acting in self defense are usually higher than 20%. The bad guy is usually less than 20%. Sorry, I don't have any references at the time.

So, if you're the armed good guy getting assaulted, I say shoot first and only run if you miss all your shots and you run out of ammo :AR15firin

the trick is called the Curly Bill spin, named after the above said person who used it against a sherrif. Gun is presented butt first, with the pinky finger in the guard. Spun under and hammer cocked on the spin, and trigger is pulled with the gun upside down. Desperation move but effective at 7 ft. and under. Double action revolver variant is spin and pull trigger when gun upside down. Used to practice that one a lot, a long time ago. I'm suprised there are no 6 gunners who replied to that.

Hollywood and controlled training environments make people think that being a hero is easier than it really is. By trying to take the situation into your hands, you are assuming that the person has slower reflexes than needed and that they are not already jittery. If you are wrong about either assumption, even without training, a person can shoot you.

People like to think that they are more in control of their situation than they really are.

All of that being said, 99.99% of the time, if you are not looking for trouble, you will not find it. That is being said from someone who has spent a lot of time in the worst parts of many towns and has worked with a lot of troubled youth who were packing.

In answer to the question, I have a S&W snubby 38 that I do not carry. I have a license just in case.