Note to New Members ×

Recommendations for soft boots & bindings

lamby

@jburk i think you'll be happy with that setup to get back into softboot carving. i have some basic riser plates if that's something you may want to explore. jut hit me up. one thing i don't like about the Soul is that the pow inserts are "missing" (omitted) a set of inserts between the last set of 4x4 and i'd like to see it a 6x6 at the most rear inserts. they took away that option of running one set up from the most set back option. eh. i prefer the pow insert set as the 2cm setback spec just doesn't do it for me. probably the half-warp speed as the standard situation. i feel ya there. feels too far forward unless all the way back. just another personal preference. with your alpine background, you know how to set it up. trial and error. enjoy the new kit! happy turns. it's like riding a bike.

i've seen a few folks get back into softboots and not like it. maybe getting that "ideal" kit and feeling good. with a current seasoned alpine snowboarder who can make good turns already coming from the 90's era and/or prior, a little toe/heel at the edge isn't going to hurt. if anything, it'll provide confidence on edging. it may be nice to have the option to tip a board high on edge at 90 degrees to carve without any drag if one has the desire/ability to do so, but this is not necessary, nor mandatory. some folks wear jeans, take a schwinn to the start gate and smoke all the redlines and haro's with the checkered vans. run what ya brung. i think there's some solid recommendations on this recommendation thread, but what works for some may not for others. i'd encourage either and we all have our preferences. choose accordingly. start somewhere. explore and test. progress at ones own desire. have fun.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dhamann said:

i've seen a few folks get back into softboots and not like it. maybe getting that "ideal" kit and feeling good. with a current seasoned alpine snowboarder who can make good turns already coming from the 90's era and/or prior, a little toe/heel at the edge isn't going to hurt. if anything, it'll provide confidence on edging. it may be nice to have the option to tip a board high on edge at 90 degrees to carve without any drag if one has the desire/ability to do so, but this is not necessary, nor mandatory. some folks wear jeans, take a schwinn to the start gate and smoke all the redlines and haro's with the checkered vans. run what ya brung. i think there's some solid recommendations on this recommendation thread, but what works for some may not for others. i'd encourage either and we all have our preferences. choose accordingly. start somewhere. explore and test. progress at ones own desire. have fun.

It was said elsewhere that 90 degrees of edge angle is vanishingly rare to generate. 
To @dhamann’s point, having your setup in an ever so slightly overhanging position will give you greater edge control in a “normal” flex softboot. It’s a fact that if you have underhang, you need a stiffer boot to overcome the decreased leverage you’d have. 
My boots are ever so slightly longer than my board is wide, but my toes and heels themselves are bang on the edges. 
Even then, I can generate enough edge angle to do speed controlling carved turns. To the point @crackaddict can? No… he carves where others slide, but he changes boards to freeride, so nyahhh nanaa. 

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a day in a pair of Burton Driver X's with some stiff Intuition liners and I'm satisfied so far. I think the liners are stiffer than the boots, at least at the cuffs. That said, you can probably get away with most any pair of boots as long as you can get a liner (likely a ski-oriented one) in there that has a suitable flex.

I like that I can apply forward pressure on the shins now without the the boots just folding.

thanks @crackaddict. that combo of shell/liner appears pretty solid. probably one of the most solid for softies actually. i considered plug race, but i just ordered the fx race to try this year myself. plug wrap in upz. when and if additional support/stiffness may be desired, check the inventory. feel free to PM with any questions. meanwhile, enjoy that kit!

EDIT: not to highjack here and/or come off like i'm pushing anything, but liner choice is important whether running POWERRIDE or not. if it hasn't been said yet (definitely has somewhere), changing a stock liner to an intuition or other aftermarket liner is a great recommendation for those looking for more than what a stock liner can offer. they break down, pack out etc. as mentioned. furthermore, these stock intuition liners that come with boots don't necessarily have the same foam makeup as a liner direct from manufacturer. ie, not all foam may mold in a moldable stock liner. if running a stock liner and thinking that a POWERRIDE insert is going to turn your boot into a hardboot, this is simply not the case. it can be close, but also can be objective. they will help and provide additional support/flex but not really make it ride like a hardboot. therefore, the technique of simply turning by leaning into the shins of the boot is a method to engage the edge/sidecut of the board, it's not the only way. it can be nice to have that option with such a kit though, if that's your flavor. there's a lot more going on and can be rather complex, especially with the alpine turn focused crowd. we're a bunch of nerds. point is, get and test what the rider thinks may be best as we all have different needs, but liner choice is pretty key. the inserts may enhance. intuition should make a comical video about 'what does liner choice say about you?'. liner descriptions are so vague to leave it up to the rider i suppose, as liners can be objective just the same.

Edited by dhamann
liner choice emphasis

I'm a Union man, but Id like to see if there are better things out there.

I rode a 2007 Force DLX and loved it. They were ragged with duct tape and replaced buckles at the time this was shot on a crappy Rossi Judge 168 and Burton Andy Warholds. The force DLX can be put way up on heel side without having a lot of drag. This was a late afternoon shitty condition day of looser snow on stripped, and it can be ridden a lot harder than shown.

I got 2014-2015 ISPO winning Union FC bindings. And after broken highbacks and replaced buckles and straps  they are now almost 2019 FC as only the baseplates have not busted. A lot more chatter on hard snow and frankly less grip than the DLX , but better response and you can put a lot of power through them if the snow is not too chattery.

I typically ride bindings a few sessions until nearly everything has broken and been replaced except the baseplates. Then I replace it all as it has typically become a frankenbinding of whatever replacement parts they had.

The only real benefit of the FC (but important to me) was making the board lighter to carry. The DLX were boat anchors. I often ride an electric unicycle to the lifts in my boots while carrying the board.

I AM NOW ACTIVELY looking to replace them.. thinking about the Atlas FC or oddly maybe even revert to the union force classic. The new union force highback is mush. I was even thinking of moving the classic highjack onto the Atlas FC for carving and comfort and still having light weight.

I ride the Thirty two TM-2 double boa now and even though I greatly preferred the flex pattern of the softer 32 Double Boa from 2019 the 2023 TM-2 do a much better job at preventing ankle sprains and preventing binding boot crush which over a long season kills my feet.

Edited by John Gilmour