Note to New Members ×

Anyone snow surfing?

lamby

Anyone out there enjoying riding without bindings? My brother and I had Snurfers when we were kids. I'd like to give it a try again. These look like nice decks:

https://www.jonessnowboards.com/mens-snowboarding/505-3414-mountain-snowskate.html#/86-size-115

https://www.jonessnowboards.com/mens-snowboarding/510-3434-mountain-surfer-snowboard.html#/76-size-142

21 hours ago, pmorita said:

We have some lib tech snow skates and take them out at the end of the season, after the lifts shut down for the year.  It's actually a blast.  I would be scared to ride around skiers when the mountain is open though.  

Looks so fun. You're approach sounds spot on. Our mountain allows some limited uphill travel, so I'm thinking it would be fun to walk up after the lifts close, or before they open. Or just to play on some nearby low angle terrain:-)

I've done a bit. My "tool" is a helicopter, because then, you don't have to deal with hard pack at all, ever. I was on a Burton Skipjack, which came from the factory with a leash and something to stand on. It worked ok but the tail was too square for my liking; that's not what I'd recommend.

The transition process I remember fairly well. I was using Sorels. The first run I was ropey, just trying to figure out where to put my weight and how to shift it, and what stance worked best. I fell over a bunch of times I think. By the second run I could confidently ride in what was very friendly deep snow on easy terrain.

What causes me trouble - in the back country - is anything crusty. I've not [yet] done enough to mix it with good riders on standard gear. For me, at my numpty level, I can see why snowboard bindings were invented: there's a lot more creative things I can do with my feet if I have bindings.

But I think it's the best thing ever for hardbooters to do. Next time someone asks why you're not on soft boots, you can shoot back with "why are you using those binding things. More seriously, it's all practice.

• Like 1

67DF8115-3B96-4F72-AF79-B805A1A90F9D.jpeg.69e17632b04f9a0d7a560be82a194e60.jpeg0CFF18DD-1EB4-45B5-8265-DEC022E2A141.jpeg.e9191439f0e15e5f9ea0f13020a64fe0.jpeg@lamby

I’ve got a pretty big collection going. 

4 B fishes. One of which is a NoFish from when our NoBoard co. partnered with Burton. That’s Greg Todds’ pro model, we like to say. 

6 Asmo’s. One of which is a 170 Wolle and Steve made me with my name on it and everything!

A Grassroots I got from Jeremy Jensen when he came up to Canada a few years ago to take part in a story I wrote for Snowboard Canada. 

A Shark. I’d like to get one of Tim’s new ones with the fins. 

A Yes Clark I cut into an asymmetric swallowtail. I helped Alex Warburton from Yes with the Clark project. I also have a Yes 420 which I cut taper into. 4 cms of width off the tail… I call it the YesNo, or the “380”.

I had a Burton Resonator which was one of my favourites ever. I gave it to @dredman and the cause at Turner last year. I think @b0ardski got it. I’d like to get another… just so easy to ride, that one  

I still prefer snowboards over purpose built “pow surfers” for more challenging conditions. The flat base can be more predictable than profiled ones. Regardless, short tailed boards are the easiest to ride, as you can brake by pushing the tail straight down instead of having to pivot, but a full length tail in ideal conditions can really let you power turn.

If the conditions are blower, I’ll ride the big Asmo. The nose on it is massive… you can push as hard as you want on the front foot and it won’t sub.

I’m on the program with Stranda the last few years and will set up one of their “Tree Surfers” as a noboard this year.

For boots, Sorel Caribou’s are what I’ve used for most of those years, but have switched back into snowboard boots for more ankle support. 

Mostly, we snowmobile in the zones we ride. I’ve thought of getting a split setup, which I can ski, snowboard and noboard on, but haven’t done that yet. We also have a small cat skiing operation and I’ll sometimes lead groups on it. I’ve also been lucky enough to fly some 100’s of thousands of feet with CMH and Eagle Pass. The former doesn’t allow it anymore (a few people wound up being “that guy”, so I think they just made a rule), but the latter will still do it if the group is right. 

It sure has helped my snowboarding. Going back into bindings after getting pressure control dialed on a noboard makes it pretty easy by comparison. 

I’m really thankful I was introduced to it when I was in my early 30’s, as the terrible shapes and steep learning curve are best dealt with when you’re younger… I’m careful to pick my days now, where it really has to be perfect. 
That’s how I feel with it, as we ride in “regular” terrain. It is however, very fun in a foot of snow on mellow, golf course type environments. 

you should NoBoard  

Edited by Rob Stevens
  • Like 6

On 12/21/2023 at 6:24 PM, philw said:

But I think it's the best thing ever for hardbooters to do. Next time someone asks why you're not on soft boots, you can shoot back with "why are you using those binding things. More seriously, it's all practice.

Learning curve and conditions considerations well taken Phil, and your take on the advantages of cross training on all kinds of equipment sure makes sense to me.

22 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

I’ve got a pretty big collection going

You're not kiddin' Rob! You obviously love it and have a lot of options on tools to play with.

23 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

I still prefer snowboards over purpose built “pow surfers” for more challenging conditions. The flat base can be more predictable than profiled ones. Regardless, short tailed boards are the easiest to ride, as you can brake by pushing the tail straight down instead of having to pivot, but a full length tail in ideal conditions can really let you power turn.

Do you mean you prefer to use snowboards that you have mounted your own grippy pads or traction devices to, versus purpose built "pow surfers? That one's with shorter tails are easier to ride is good to know.

23 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

It sure has helped my snowboarding. Going back into bindings after getting pressure control dialed on a noboard makes it pretty easy by comparison. 

I’m really thankful I was introduced to it when I was in my early 30’s, as the terrible shapes and steep learning curve are best dealt with when you’re younger… I’m careful to pick my days now, where it really has to be perfect. 
That’s how I feel with it, as we ride in “regular” terrain. It is however, very fun in a foot of snow on mellow, golf course type environments. 

you should NoBoard  

I should NoBoard. I was a Snurfer back in the day, so I guess I was fortunate to have an early introduction to this form of snow fun, but now, I will be reapproaching as someone much older. The nearby mellow golf course slopes will be calling me when we finally get snow. For now, I will be keeping my eyes open for a NoBoard.

Can I take a snowboard and put traction pads on it to give it a try, or better to look for a new or used NoBoard?

Interesting on flat base versus profile base, from someone with a lot of experience with those things. I watched Terje play with an Asmo, which had a very profiled base, and he wasn't that comfortable on it. I wasn't sure why exactly. The Asmo is pretty, of course. 

At Wiegele you'd probably not get into a public heli as a no-boarder, unless your father in-law owned the company.

@Rob - if you're good enough, which I've no doubt you are - can you ride anywhere people with bindings can? I mean, are you good on traverse lines, pillow lines, chicanes through the forests (run-outs), all that stuff? 

When I rode no-boards in a heli we were "Private" - we had the whole machine, so no one else minded us.

Short tails... I brake my ordinary length tail snowboard with the tail all the time, which is why I'm very fussy about the tail flex. The Burton SJ I rode had a short square tail, which I think isn't as progressive as I'd like.

23 hours ago, lamby said:

Can I take a snowboard and put traction pads on it to give it a try, or better to look for a new or used NoBoard?

Make yourself a home made short tail or swallow tail. Taking length off will create taper as well. 
Any popsicle stick freestyle board will do… if it’s not too old, you can avoid full camber profiles. 
For traction, a mountain bike tire with the bead and sidewall cut off can be glued on where you’d put your feet. Around where the inserts are will do. 

Edited by Rob Stevens
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, philw said:

Interesting on flat base versus profile base, from someone with a lot of experience with those things. I watched Terje play with an Asmo, which had a very profiled base, and he wasn't that comfortable on it. I wasn't sure why exactly. The Asmo is pretty, of course. 

At Wiegele you'd probably not get into a public heli as a no-boarder, unless your father in-law owned the company.

@Rob - if you're good enough, which I've no doubt you are - can you ride anywhere people with bindings can? I mean, are you good on traverse lines, pillow lines, chicanes through the forests (run-outs), all that stuff? 

When I rode no-boards in a heli we were "Private" - we had the whole machine, so no one else minded us.

Short tails... I brake my ordinary length tail snowboard with the tail all the time, which is why I'm very fussy about the tail flex. The Burton SJ I rode had a short square tail, which I think isn't as progressive as I'd like.

The Asmo is a very fun profile when snow is good and run outs are soft packed. If you’re running straight and more or less carving, the rail really hooks up and can make it very controlled on cat tracks. 
If you have to side slip, it’s a bear… the channel makes the board want to lift out of the snow like the flap on an aircraft wing would. 
So for pivoting around, I like the flat base. 

As for heli, if the snow is right and I can keep it on the ground, I can go pretty much anywhere. 
With the rope on a noboard, you can deal with just about any scenario. 

On 12/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, Rob Stevens said:

Make yourself a home made short tail or swallow tail. Taking length off will create taper as well.

Hi Rob, Am I correct in my understand that you do not suggest converting a board with traditional camber underfoot?

Also, do some people put a rope on the front to learn to ride, or are ropes for dopes.

Enjoying your Instagram reels very much.

1969-Brunswick-Advertising.jpg

1 hour ago, lamby said:

Hi Rob, Am I correct in my understand that you do not suggest converting a board with traditional camber underfoot?

Also, do some people put a rope on the front to learn to ride, or are ropes for dopes.

Enjoying your Instagram reels very much.

1969-Brunswick-Advertising.jpg

It’s easier if it’s not cambered. 

You don’t need a rope… pretend you’re snowboarding and steer with opening and closing your torso at the same time as your knees and ankles follow that movement. 

I have Instagram? 

6 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

It’s easier if it’s not cambered. 

You don’t need a rope… pretend you’re snowboarding and steer with opening and closing your torso at the same time as your knees and ankles follow that movement. 

Understand. Thanks Rob.

6 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

I have Instagram? 

What a dope I am! I was confused. I've been enjoying Harrison Bell's Instagram posts and for some reason I was thinking it was you. Sorry for my brain freeze:-)

• Like 1