Note to New Members ×

MountainCreek 2023/2024

jtslalom

10 hours ago, Kneel said:

@jtslalom, I love your enthusiasm and optimism. 👍 Somewhere in a northern NJ mall @Mr Wonton will be weeping tears of joy into his Orange Julius on said opening day...

I’m currently working with my sherpa on oxygen deprivation training to deal with the extreme elevation difference from the mall to the summit of creek. So far it’s going well and we anticipate an arduous but successful summit bid on the aforementioned day and until that day @kneel, keep your ear to the grindstone. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mother Nature seems fickle. Well, what started as great snowmaking temps seems to have turned into mild Mid-Atlantic sub-tropical temps. Well maybe that is an exaggeration but as long as the temps stay above 32 F, they might as well be sub-tropical. MC has done all it can to make snow but it just doesn't seem to get anywhere. These rain storms that roll in are absolutely killing the snow pack. Although most cold nights MC has the blowers running, the rain washes a lot of the snow away. I got to give MC credit for it's tenacity but it might be in vain because yet another round of rain is coming this Sunday 12/17/23.  Lets just hope that next week brings better temps for snow making.

Jt

It's finally here. MC's opening day is tomorrow Saturday 12/23/23. Another late start for no other reason but an uncooperative mother nature. MC has been making snow around the clock for the last day and a half. Tonight's temps are also favorable for snowmaking and I'm sure all guns will be firing away. Not much will be opened and for that reason I won't be there but I'm sure that by the end of next week MC will have more terrain open and maybe we can get the chance to make some curvy lines in the snow. See you there.

Jt

• 4 weeks later...

We finally have a week of cold temps and snow. We got about 3-4 inches of snowfall today. Enough to cancel our local schools. MC has been making snow around the clock for the last 36 hours. Combined with the new snowfall conditions this morning were pretty good. Visibility was about a 2 out of 10 mostly in part to the fact that MC had every snow gun possible blasting snow but I guess it is for the best. This weekend should be awesome. Take the trip out, it should be worth it.

Jt

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kneel said:

Will be there tomorrow for a frigid mini morning sesh. I'll be the guy ripping it up, albeit in tears because 1) I'll be alone as @Mr Wonton has to "work" 🤨  and 2) I have two more weeks till I'm back out west. 

Seems like it would be a nice day for Tanya. I’ll be crying at “work” which is way worser than crying at creek. 

7 hours ago, Mr Wonton said:

Seems like it would be a nice day for Tanya. I’ll be crying at “work” which is way worser than crying at creek. 

I had an excuse NOT to go this morning, which may or may not be betterer than going.  Dogs had a vet appointment.  I guess it's perspective. I've run out of excuses for tomorrow morning, unfortunately... 

3 hours ago, Kneel said:

I had an excuse NOT to go this morning, which may or may not be betterer than going.  Dogs had a vet appointment.  I guess it's perspective. I've run out of excuses for tomorrow morning, unfortunately... 

I believe you possess the ingenuity to come up with not only one, but several excuses if need be. It’s not like there’s a verification process for excuses at creek so you can feel free to use flimsy ones if you’d like. 

I had off today and rode first lift this morning. MC got it right! Conditions were excellent for carving and so should the next few days. MC has more terrain open now and it looks like Zero-G will be opened this weekend along with Great Northern. Its starting to get good. I'll be riding Saturday and Sunday early morning first lift.

Jt

• 3 weeks later...

I rode today with Tommy, Dave, Patrice and Troy. It's so nice to ride with other carvers that can actually carve good lines. Had a great time for the short 2 hours we rode. Conditions were good as MC made some snow last night and was able to grind it in to the frozen granular that was already in place. Trail width is still not to good but at least you are able to ride from peak to peak. All in all it was a good morning to ride.

Jt

Hey could I ever join you guys one weekend? Havent been to MC in ages and what better way than hardbootin it with others?

On 2/4/2024 at 5:29 PM, jtslalom said:

I rode today with Tommy, Dave, Patrice and Troy. It's so nice to ride with other carvers that can actually carve good lines. Had a great time for the short 2 hours we rode. Conditions were good as MC made some snow last night and was able to grind it in to the frozen granular that was already in place. Trail width is still not to good but at least you are able to ride from peak to peak. All in all it was a good morning to ride.

Jt

Hello Michael,
The times we all get together and ride are seldom. It's usually on the spur of the moment decision. However, I will post if we decide to all get together for a group ride well in advance but again, usually a spur of the moment decision.

Jt

• Like 1

Normally I would tell you to go to Blue or Belleayre over MC for carving but MC was one of the few resorts to get 13+ inches of snow yesterday. Belleayre got no snow from this last storm. Blue may have gotten some but MC got pounded. It should be awesome for carving tomorrow. Temps were in the teens last night and won't get much above freezing today. Tonight's temps will be in the low 20's so the snow should set up perfect. 

Jt

6 hours ago, jtslalom said:

Normally I would tell you to go to Blue or Belleayre over MC for carving but MC was one of the few resorts to get 13+ inches of snow yesterday. Belleayre got no snow from this last storm. Blue may have gotten some but MC got pounded. It should be awesome for carving tomorrow. Temps were in the teens last night and won't get much above freezing today. Tonight's temps will be in the low 20's so the snow should set up perfect. 

Jt

Sold. Will be there tmw thanks Jt!