Note to New Members ×

Helmet, goggles and my big nose...

fallen

Hey folks,

Not sure how strange this topic/question is, but here goes.

So back in the 90's I rocked the Leedom full helmet (photo attached). I loved it because the top of the helmet was high enough that it did not push my goggles down, allowing my big nose to breathe nicely. The helmet died due to much use (RIP). Went out and got a typical ski helmet that fits nicely - without the goggles. But it pushes the goggles down and squeezes my nose to the point of extreme uncomfort.

So the question to this community is this. Is there a vendor that makes helmet/goggle combo that fits nicely without the goggles getting shoved down? Or are the low profile goggles?

leedom.jpeg

I suspect that just as there are noses of varying sizes, so there are skull vaults of varying shapes and heights. In the absence of your identical twin telling you what works for them, trying various helmet and goggle combinations before buying may be your best option.

I have the complete opposite problem....

Need a helmet that sits down far enough, combined with big goggles (both wide and tall). And asian fit (low bridge fit).

You're going to have to go to a helmet/goggle shop and try everything on in person. I literally have spent probably 1, 2, or 3 helmets worth of shipping costs returning helmet/goggle combos. And there is zero tell-tale sign to see how something fits, even if you really dissect reviews/photos. I probably would be about even or coming out ahead if I just bought full price every time in person....

I agree with what SunSurfer and Odd Job recommend. Your best bet is to try on helmets and goggle combinations.

I was just trying on helmets at a local ski/snowboard shop. Trying on mostly Smiths, the mediums fit my big head pretty well, but I often wear a light wool scull hat under my helmet on extra cold says. Medium might be a bit tight for me when I go for that underlayer. Large Smiths fit, but feels a bit big on me. Large tightens down to my noggin, but seem to flop around a bit. Certainly room for a hat underneath. So, even after spending some time trying on helmet, I remain on the fence as to what size is right for me.

Smith has an interesting offering in its Survey line of helmets. I tried a large and medium, same issues on sizing for me, but the medium seemed to fit my head better, and the flip down goggles seemed to fit quite well to my face. Large was too big on googles to face fit for me.

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/helmet/survey-mips-snow-helmet/E005300B55155.html

• 3 weeks later...

You might look at French goggles which should fit a more aquiline nose. That partly deals with the fit on each side, a gap in the case of a rounder face. The cut of a helmet over the forehead changes with brands too. A Salomon helmet fits me well but is so deep that the brow pushes down on goggles that also fit as you have found. Having said that the Oakley helmet works well for me and my existing low bridge goggles. Best is to go to a shop to buy both at the same time. 

Sometimes I prefer sunglasses over goggles and I have been a longtime fan of BOMBER eyewear.  They do offer safety-glass lenses and photochromic.  Good selection of styles and sizes to choose from.  Most of their frames offer padded sides (for flotation) but it also helps reduce wind infiltration.   Usually have promotions through out the year when you sign-up.  https://www.bombereyewear.com/?al_pg_id=80be8694-32a4-49db-9938-ad04084d8c31

A few years ago I had a helmet that sat low, which was fine until I got new bigger goggles.  The helmet then pushed my new goggles down on my nose. Super annoying but I otherwise liked the helmet a lot. I ordered a set of helmet pads from AliExpress. I stuck them between the Styrofoam and fabric helmet liner. It solved the problem as the helmet then sat higher on my head.  But I learned my lesson and my most recent helmet purchase involved visiting tons of shops and trying on dozens of helmets along with goggles.

Edited by DMKW