Note to New Members ×

After being dormant for a bunch of years, what board should I be buying?

fallen

A little background...

I rode a LOT all through the 90's and through 2002ish. Was very decent at it. Had all sorts of boards - F2, Sword, Oxygen, etc. Life happens (i.e. family, work, etc.) so I stopped.

I'm ready to get back to it, however, I'm a lot older with multiple knee surgeries, constant knee pain, etc. Since almost everyone I go to the mountains with is a skier, I thought I should consider an all-mountain board. Something I can carve the groomers with, yet still be comfy in crud, powder and such. I am 6 feet tall and 180 pounds. Still going to rock my hard boots with step-ins. What board brands, size and models should I be looking at please?

Thank you in advance.

Hi fallen, Welcome back to the slopes and best wishes on finding an all-mountain board that fits your needs. I'm sure you will get lots of great info and suggestions here. I'm old with several ailments and I've  moved away from leaning it way over and leaving trenches, but I still love mellow all-mountain snowboarding in my hardboots. I love my Lib Tech Orca 153 for such (I'm 5'-11' and weigh around 150 lbs). Too tight of a sidecut radius for many, and perhaps too "powder" focused for others, but a fun all-mountain ride for me. For a more traditional type of design you might consider a Prior 4WD. Best, lamby

Welcome back! 

A traditional big Tanker would be awesome if there is no steep moguls or tight tree riding involved. It gets to cumbersome for that. 

Donek and Coiler have their hybrid models, that are somewhere in between the alpine and soft boot boards  like Flux, BXFR and similar. 

Other than that, any beefier production freeride board mounted with plates would do. 

A big factor would also be your boot size and the angles you wanted to ride. That night determine if you needed to go custom, or just stock. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you to those who replied. Time was of the essence when I posted, so after quick  research I decided to go with a custom Prior 4wd. I was going to try a Donek board, but they told me they don't have time for a consultation on the phone and told me to just order online. Prior spend a ton of time on the phone with me, and we decided on a 4wd. There were some issues with UPS and Prior was on top of it, making sure I get my board before I went off on my trip. I went with a shorted board (169) vs what I was used to riding 15+ years ago (172 and longer).

Love the board and love the human support the company provides. I am thinking of getting another board made for me next season and I'm going with them, even if there are better options. Why? Customer service is why. In a niche market like this I really appreciate the ability to speak with someone who cares.

• Like 6