Note to New Members ×

"New" Apex Ski Boot for a Universal boot for skiing, hardboot snowboarding, and softboot snowboarding??

cobrien

I was scrolling through Facebook the other day and an ad for an "innovative" ski boot popped up. The boot company is called APEX. Here is the link for the boot.https://www.apexskiboots.com/ Personally, I am NOT looking at purchasing it, but it did catch my interest and raised some questions I had, and I would love to know what y'all think.

Here are some questions that came to mind:

Has anyone purchased and used this for hard boot snowboarding? Ski and Softboot Snowboarding?C

Could this boot be a "decent" all-around boot for winter activities? (The one boot to rule them all)

What would be some concerns that you would like to voice?

PROS V.S CONS 

Any other thoughts that come to mind?

Thanks for the input!

Conor

I spoke with the Apex inventor years back when I was teaching boarding and skiing.  I also knew an instructor that swore by them.  They seem to do well for the recreational skier/rider.  Much stiffer than traditional soft boots and you can adjust the stiffness.  I'm sure you would get heckled at some point if you were skiing with them, especially at Alta or Deer Valley.

BTW, they guy I spoke with also invented the rear entry ski boot.

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

I spoke with the Apex inventor years back when I was teaching boarding and skiing.  I also knew an instructor that swore by them.  They seem to do well for the recreational skier/rider.  Much stiffer than traditional soft boots and you can adjust the stiffness.  I'm sure you would get heckled at some point if you were skiing with them, especially at Alta or Deer Valley.

BTW, they guy I spoke with also invented the rear entry ski boot.

I knew a guy that skied in Apex boots. He said they were the only boots he could wear all day long and not feel pain because of all the surgeries he’d had on his feet over the years. He skied well in them and was a good instructor, too, and never got any heckling. 

Snowboards do not need releasable bindings.  So understand that with this system on a snowboard you are basically using two bindings on each foot for no reason.  On a snowboard you would really want to just bolt the Apex exoskeleton to the board and not have another 5+ pounds and 2 inches of bindings in between.  But for the purpose of using a snowboard and a pair of skis in the same day without changing boots, these are an option.  Another would be K2 (formerly Full Tilt) ski boots, or UPZ snowboard boots with their DIN toe/heel blocks.  As long as sole length isn't a serious issue.

• 2 months later...

"Another would be K2 (formerly Full Tilt) ski boots, or UPZ snowboard boots with their DIN toe/heel blocks.  As long as sole length isn't a serious issue."

Even before those were the Raichle Flexon boots- I wore those when I was switching back and forth teaching skiing and snowboarding.  Before that I was jamming Koflach mountaineering boots into DIN alpine bindings, but that was kind of dumb.  I think the Apex design is great, but those look like some seriously long soles.