Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

Guest Randy S.

The 6th grade science teacher, Mrs. Parks, asked her class, "Which Human body part increases to ten times its size when stimulated?"

No one answered until little Mary stood up, angry, and said, "You

should not be asking sixth-graders a question like that! I'm going to tell my parents, and they will go and tell the principal, who will then fire you!"

With a sneer on her face, she then sat back down. Mrs. Parks ignored her and asked the question again, "Which body part increases to 10 times its size when stimulated?"

Little Mary's mouth fell open. Then she said to those around her, "Boy, is she going to get in big trouble!"

The teacher continued to ignore her and said to the class, "Anybody?"

Finally, Billy stood up, looked around nervously, and said, "The body part that increases 10 times its size when stimulated is the pupil Of The eye."

Mrs. Parks said, "Very good, Billy," then turned to Mary and

Continued. "As for you, young lady, I have three things to say:

One, you have a dirty mind.

Two, you didn't read your homework and

Three, one day you are going to be very, very disappointed.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Export? How about you export yourself and Michelle over here??? Might even make all your local guys realise what they have been missing out on right under their noses! Otherwise, come to SES. I will be there (for what that's worth) along with one of my best mates who all the girls here reckon is great.

I would LOVE to export myself over there! And Dan, I am a sucker for a man with an accent:1luvu:

Government grants for American chicks looking for guys with accents??? WOW, Australia is sooooo cool!!

And Michelle, if you are such a sucker for the accent, do you reckon you could rig the SES raffle for me this year again? A board would be just great

This is why Fin doesn't allow me to pick the numbers - I only get to show off the prizes....:rolleyes:

Guest Randy S.

Ladies, you don't need no stinkin' men. All you need is The Toy and a bluetooth phone. Designed to be "worn internally," the toy is controlled by SMS sent to your phone. When you get one, be sure to post your phone number so we can all send you SMS messages throughout the day (and night).

Don't you just love technology!

Off of MSN today - thought it may be of interest to theis post.

Every married person who has argued with a spouse about money has longed to be single again and in total financial control.

That wish usually subsides -- how quickly depends in part on the dollar amount in dispute. But that fleeting thought raises an interesting question.

Is there a time when being single is more financially desirable?

Sure, marriage has many economic advantages, such as pooled income, shared health-insurance coverage, although more companies now also offer this benefit to unmarried couples, and Social Security survivor benefits. Even the marriage tax penalty has been eased in recent years.

But in some instances, it's more practical to remain unhitched.

"One thing to keep in mind is that it's always a mix of financial and emotional decisions," says Scott Farber, a wealth management adviser based in Natick, Mass. "It's difficult to look at a relationship from a strictly financial standpoint."

"However, there are some general instances when it might be better not to be married."

That's how Sheryl Garrett, a certified financial planner in Shawnee Mission, Kan., sees it, too.

"There are definitely way more advantages on (the married) side of the fence," says Garrett. "But there are some clear ones on the unmarried side, too."

While there's no "typical couple" that should consider living together without official legal status, there are some typical issues. Basically, says Garrett, staying legally unattached could be financially beneficial for one or both partners when these five issues come into play:

• 1. Liability

• 2. Credit and debt concerns

• 3. Survivor's benefits

• 4. Taxes

• 5. Children

Liability for married and unmarried

One of the great things about marriage is you get to share everything. That's also one of the worst things about marriage, especially when it comes to liability issues. You could be financially responsible for judgments against your spouse, such as personal lawsuits or Internal Revenue Service liens and all types of legal actions in between.

Janice K. Hobbs, owner of Jan Hobbs Financial Group in Orange, Calif., says this is a concern of many of her clients who primarily are high-income individuals.

"We have a lot of doctors as clients, both partners are physicians, which is a high-liability profession," says Hobbs. If one of the doctors is sued, the other person's assets are just as liable -- if they are married. By staying single, Hobbs says, only the one physician's income and assets would be at risk.

The liability issue doesn't just worry still-working people who are making a good living.

Garrett says a book buyer raised similar concerns at a signing for her book, "Money without Matrimony," that she co-wrote with Debra Neiman.

The woman, in her late 50s, had a new man in her life and they were considering another go at marriage. She was in a good financial position, but a combination of previous marital and business problems had left him dealing with the aftermath of a divorce, bankruptcy and some lingering financial issues.

"He hadn't had much of a chance to recover financially, although he had moved on emotionally, and he had a terrible credit score. He was a great guy with completely understandable credit problems," says Garrett.

"Her question was, 'If we did get married, would that be a bad idea?' My answer was that if they keep things separately, depending on the state (of residence), his debts in his name and her assets in her name, you're fine. But if he gets sued. ...

"She said, 'Stop. I think we're going to wait.'" Back to top

Commingled credit and debt

That cautious woman's remarriage query also raised the issue of shared credit, which Garrett says can go hand in hand with liability worries.

The credit-reporting business has evolved so now each person has an individual credit score. So unless you borrow money together, getting married doesn't automatically hurt you from a credit standpoint, says Garrett.

Debt is a slightly different matter. That's because in some states, when you marry you also marry your spouse's debt, especially if post-marriage payments come out of a joint account.

"If you have a situation where one partner is heavily in debt, especially if the one in debt has fewer assets, marriage could potentially expose the nondebtor's assets," says Farber.

Where you live also could affect your debt status. In community-property jurisdictions -- Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin or Puerto Rico -- community property includes the earnings of both partners while married, as well as everything purchased with that money. If separate property is commingled with community property during a marriage, it could be viewed as community property. Similarly, all debts incurred during marriage, unless specifically noted as separate, become community-property debts.

It's easier to avoid responsibility for a spendthrift partner's debts when you simply live together. Just be sure you don't inadvertently invalidate this unmarried advantage. Don't take on joint transactions, such as helping your financially struggling partner pay an overdue loan

Al, it should read as follows:

Sure, marriage has many economic advantages for the woman , such as pooled income, shared health-insurance coverage, although more companies now also offer this benefit to unmarried couples, and Social Security survivor benefits. Even the marriage tax penalty has been eased in recent years.

the benefits go both ways. several couples I am friends with are examples of the woman wearing the pants. a Nurse and line cook. A UPS guy and a Nutritionist. A ski shop employee and the VP of the insuance company.

to say it is just beneficial to women is sexist.

As long as the woman is the nurse, and the man is the line cook, he's fine. A man is defined more by what he does than how much he makes. Any man who does a man's job, be it a line cook, a tow truck driver, a stick welder, even if it doesn't make a lot of money, is still a man and in charge of things just the way god intended.

:lol:

Any man who does a man's job, be it a line cook, a tow truck driver, a stick welder, even if it doesn't make a lot of money, is still a man and in charge of things just the way god intended.

Ouch man. I totally disagree. There was a study (which I can not quote- you will just have to find it) where they took two eggs from two women and created a fetus. I think this means that sooner or later, men will not be needed for reproductive purposes. Since more women are going to college now, we will slowly take over the world. You will only be there for our physical pleasure and grunt work.

MuaHAHaHAaHaaaa!!! :flamethro

You will only be there for our physical pleasure and grunt work.

And we thought we had this whole supremacy over women thing wired, and you go in and play the ulitmate trump card :eek:

If the grunt work means lugging your gear to the top of the mountain, as long as I get to board back down, well, I'll cop that sweet. :D

You will only be there for our physical pleasure and grunt work.
Ha ha! I can live with the first part, and if the grunt work just means moving things around the house and changing the oil in your car, that's probably OK. If it means having to listen for hours while you complain about that witch at work who is making your life miserable, or going shopping for hours for a couch, or anything that involved picking out a color, then no way...we are only men, we are not machines.

You guys are great!!! The grunt work was naturally referring to the occasional help in moving heavy stuff or just being a gentleman and carrying my wonderful board. :p FYI- I'm a fast shopper and prefer doing it by myself. I also don't hang out with that many women so I won't be bitchin' about petty gossip.

I think that if a guy were to be my slave he'd have a pretty peachy time. :1luvu: I like to play.... a lot

I think that if a guy were to be my slave he'd have a pretty peachy time. :1luvu: I like to play.... a lot

Marry me Skipuppy. I take back everything I said about marriage being awful and how it's cheaper to let the woman max out the credit card and just pay the interest, instead of paying it off every month and letting her continue to spend. I will gladly carry your board. Oh, I don't live with my mom and my house doesn't have wheels either. :biggthump

Dearest, I can't marry you. I just recently stopped being jailbait!

I'll be in california and carving tahoe for a few weekdays after new years before I need to return to Boston for ski team training. Maybe you will see me on the slopes being cute and showing off. :D