Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm upset because I've realized class is an important factor when it comes to dating.

I always knew it was important to have similar family values, political views, and religious outlooks, lifestyles, and behavioral grooming... I guess I just never realized that to a certain extent a lot of this does fall within class culture. It just blows because it means that the circle of people that fit well into your own sphere of upbringing is smaller due to these factors.

Without a doubt, the most fun and fulfilling relationships I have had were with people from a significantly different backround ,class, or up bringing that liked me(or loved me)anyway.However,the parents often did not share our views.Hmm... Luckily,despite most of the rest of her familiy's trepidations,Maureen's dad (r.i.p.) did not mind her marrying a snowboard instructor/bike racer.Turned out as the story goes,I was the only boyfriend he ever pulled out his old skis to show and tell of his stories skiing Aspen in the old days.Cool guy;I miss him.

I'm upset because I've realized class is an important factor when it comes to dating.

I always knew it was important to have similar family values, political views, and religious outlooks, lifestyles, and behavioral grooming... I guess I just never realized that to a certain extent a lot of this does fall within class culture. It just blows because it means that the circle of people that fit well into your own sphere of upbringing is smaller due to these factors.

It depends on who you are. I have found this to be very true for me, but it certainly does not apply to everyone. It does reduce the number of potential partners, but when you do get a match, it can be really special.

skipup,

if you want a real challenge, get involved with someone from a different country that speaks decent english. You can both come from the same upper middle class background but an upbringing in a place like say, Brazil, is much different than it is in this country.You get similiar educations in decent schools and colleges, your parents are also able to teach you good social skills and manners but your perception of the world can be very different.

Marriage is something that requires constant maintenance and upkeep and when you throw the cultural backround into the mix, it can get real tricky.

If anything, it enhances one's view of the world.

Some would rather stay in a comfort zone, others can spent endless hours conversing about everything from parenting to holiday traditions.

You can even learn another language and enjoy watching the news on the brasilian cable channel everyday and see how another country perceives international news.

Hope that helps. Relationships are tough.Challenges can be fun and rewarding.

when superFINE becomes superPSYCHO....they ain't so fine anymore.

Seen it happen.

somewhat stable AND fine = much easier to live with.

pebu, grow a soul patch dude, and get some contacts :lol:

show me a supermodel and I'll show you a guy that's sick of her BS

post-123-141842239087_thumb.jpg

willy,

I'm already halfway there on the culture front. My mom is German and her english is far from perfect. A few weeks ago she was trying to say something was ****ty and said its the ****s. :biggthump

I'm also German and I've lived there and Geneva (broken french on my part) and will hopefully live in Argentina in a year. In fact, I would say that I am looking for someone who is not US American or at least raised by a non-USAmerican simply because I can relate. If they have lived in another country or are required to travel to another country thats a bonus too although then you get the problem of being over-extended which is how I already feel.

How do you make divorced parents (Reno and Vermont), and the respective grandparents (Germany, SoCal) and my friends from where I was educated (Boston, NorCal) work? And then add another person to it? And their friends and family? I mean, once you get married you are kind of expected to spend part of the holidays with your inlaws as well. What if they are divorced too? One suggestion was to hold a family vacation in a neutral place (Ibiza, Mexico, wherever) and simply invite everyone including the inlaws. Are there any other suggestions on time management .... other than becoming the black sheep of the family?

willy,

A few weeks ago she was trying to say something was ****ty and said its the ****s. :biggthump

I wanna get this, she said something was "poopy" but instead said it was the "mammaries"? they rhyme so I think I get it.

:rolleyes: :lol:

When my wife gets tired or lazy sometimes her english gets sloppy. If she's been speaking spanish and portugeuse all day, it's tough to just switch back and forth to english.

Always good for a laugh tho.

pebu,

Plus brazilian women are superfine. But I don't imagine you're interested in that. :smashfrea

my wife ain't too hard the eyes :cool:

post-123-14184223909_thumb.jpg

I mean, once you get married you are kind of expected to spend part of the holidays with your inlaws as well. Are there any other suggestions on time management .... other than becoming the black sheep of the family?

This is always a tough one. You can't please all of the people all of the time, everyone wants you at THEIR place for the holidays, and half the time you're states away (or continents away) and it takes hours and lots of $$$ to make it work. Then add in the fact that friends and family who have kids can't travel so you have to go there, elderly parents or relatives can't travel so you have to go THERE, they all get offended if you say you're going somewhere else, and it makes you want to shoot yourself!

My ex husband and I always took Xmas off. Rather than fight over who we were going to have dinner with, we'd just go away somewhere and have Xmas by ourselves. Much much easier!!

The other problem with having a foreign other half is that when you go and visit their country, they're expected to spend the entire trip visiting the relatives and all you want to do is go and sightsee. What a pain in the a$$... and a great reason for separate holidays!!