Note to New Members ×

Equipment Malfunction

brokecollegekid

Hello!

Yesterday was my fourth day out on the setup I acquired recently, the carves were feeling great, finally got my forearm on the ground consistently, but at the bottom of a carve, my forward binding ripped off my board. As I was falling, my rear binding ripped off too. I'll throw some photos of the mounting holes if I can figure out how, but there are cracks in the topsheet around most of the binding holes now. I guess my question is, has this happened to anyone else and what could be some reasons? The only things I could think of was it may be time to upgrade to a more intermediate board with deeper binding inserts, or the board was outdated. Also, I wanted to know if it was safe to assume this board should be retired at this point? Super bummed since the season has been treating me very well, hit me with some thoughts!

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

Shall we assume (by the graphics) this is an old Rossi board?

What bindings were you using?

Reason I mention is, older boards and as board age, the fiberglass and composites do get weaker. An old Rossi board would be old enough to where it would be significantly weaker than when it was made. This being said, the bindings also do make a difference. A binding with a small surface area will put more stress on the board than one with a wider area. As an example, this was common with the TD1 series and was the reason they widened their base connectors. Although you will probably be looking at another board, looking to be sure your bindings don't stress your next board is a good idea as well. 

In either case, unless you really have an affinity to that board (like a first world cup win or something) it really is time to make some art and that being the center of your masterpiece. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TVR said:

Shall we assume (by the graphics) this is an old Rossi board?

What bindings were you using?

Reason I mention is, older boards and as board age, the fiberglass and composites do get weaker. An old Rossi board would be old enough to where it would be significantly weaker than when it was made. This being said, the bindings also do make a difference. A binding with a small surface area will put more stress on the board than one with a wider area. As an example, this was common with the TD1 series and was the reason they widened their base connectors. Although you will probably be looking at another board, looking to be sure your bindings don't stress your next board is a good idea as well. 

In either case, unless you really have an affinity to that board (like a first world cup win or something) it really is time to make some art and that being the center of your masterpiece. 

The bindings I use are Raichle X-Bone step ins that came with the board. I'll attach the only photo I've got of them

IMG_3358.jpg

Edited by brokecollegekid

I’m sorry to hear that your board failed..but I’m happy to hear you weren’t hurt when it did.

It looks like one of the very old foam core Rossignols and and they were very poorly designed and produced. I worked at a Rossi dealer back in the day and I think the only ones that didn’t fail where the ones that didn’t get ridden. Please consider yourself lucky to be uninjured and make a bench out of that thing. They never should have been sold to the public and you got much more mileage out of it than most did. You got lucky that both binding ripped out - that saved you from a likely injury.

These boards failed when ridden hard because as the board flexes into an arc the binding can’t flex with it and the inserts will get pulled upward with a huge amount of force and they will fail. 

Modern boards are orders of magnitude better than your old Rossi…your riding will instantly improve, you’ll have more fun, you’ll smile more and you’ll be safer with a modern board. It’s a day and night difference. This would be very difficult to overstate.

Have fun buying something modern. You will not regret it.

dave

Edited by David Kirk
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brokecollegekid said:

The bindings I use are Raichle step ins that came with the board. I'll attach the only photo I've got of them

IMG_3358.jpg

Although the bindings are not a new design by any aspect, it looks like the board was the issue. These bindings are not the reason it failed, or it is unlikely these are the reason. You can get newer ones, but these were most likely not what killed your ride.

I am sure you will find another board you love. Looking over everything, it most likely is the board could not handle the fun you were pushing it with. There are an awful lot of stresses going into turns when you power into them.

Anyway, you didn't get hurt, which is the best part. best of luck and we will look for you on the hills man....

• Like 1