Note to New Members ×

My Madd Tried to Kill Me

pmorita

Pulled my Madd 158 off the wall to take it for a spin the other day.  The inserts were stripped out when I bought it so I finally got around to inserting helicoils and was super excited to take some runs.  I can only describe my run as twitchy as every bump in the snow caused this thing to try and put me in the woods.  It was fun for the millisecond I had some weight on the edge, but the transitions were terrifying.  I finally caught a toeside and slammed so hard my fingers were tingling.  So that was my one run for the day.

I know I suck and it's not the charriot, it's the horse but, what's been other's experience on a Madd?  If there is something I can do to make it easier, I'll try.  For now, I'm scared to even look at this thing as I might burst into flames.

10 minutes ago, pmorita said:

Pulled my Madd 158 off the wall to take it for a spin the other day.  The inserts were stripped out when I bought it so I finally got around to inserting helicoils and was super excited to take some runs.  I can only describe my run as twitchy as every bump in the snow caused this thing to try and put me in the woods.  It was fun for the millisecond I had some weight on the edge, but the transitions were terrifying.  I finally caught a toeside and slammed so hard my fingers were tingling.  So that was my one run for the day.

I know I suck and it's not the charriot, it's the horse but, what's been other's experience on a Madd?  If there is something I can do to make it easier, I'll try.  For now, I'm scared to even look at this thing as I might burst into flames.

While the Madds have a cult following, there is something to be said for 21st century technology 😂😎👍

A 158 was my only board up until this season, so I only recently have had any basis for comparison, but it's definitely an unforgiving board until you get a feel for it. Mine has sent me into the woods on more than one occasion. I think I still prefer its liveliness over my new acquisitions, but it's brutal to put more than a few hours on it.

Mine is the reissue so my comments may be irrelevant, but I suspect it's a very weight-sensitive board. At 220lb I find it a very well-mannered if not sedate ride. I've ridden Doneks of the same vintage which had so much energy in the tail that they really would blast me out of the turn. The Madd is actually an easier cruising board than my Proteus 180 which even at my weight likes to be pounced on. I have the Madd set up at 20.25" stance width pretty close to the middle of the inserts. The board still has good camber.

original madd158 is a complete psycho if you ride it frightened and not quick in transitions. but else..... it is one of my lovelies past 2 seasons for icy moguls. on the strange side, ride is very similar to full-carbon SL/BX oxess that I have, seems like carbon reinforcement made it ride like modern rockered geometry

yes, you need to drive it boldly and don't forget to work THE nose boldly too, and then it was uber-fun. this board's ride age uber-well, for sure

Short/frantic boards are SOOO much fun when you're in the mood. Twitchy, energetic, snappy, etc. When you're not in the mood they're tiring and amplify any mistakes. 

My Donek MK makes me smile (and breathe hard!) at boring little hills. But some days it's too much for me. I don't take it when I go to actual mountains and only have room for 3 boards. 

Are helicoils ok in a Madd's brass inserts? I can't imagine there's much T-nut left in the board... 

• Like 1

T-nut it! 
bindings had to be waaaay forward to work for me… too narrow too! 

Just now, bobdea said:

T-nut it! 
bindings had to be waaaay forward to work for me… too narrow too! 

I don’t mean add a set to go more forward BTW just mean replace the coils in brass with steel.