Note to New Members ×

longboards ... T-boards ... carving on pavement

Cindy Kleh

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott,

I agree those guys are amazing. Two of them (Tony Ray and Ross Clarke-Jones) live here and they are the most laid back people you will ever meet, until it comes to surfing big waves, then they are just wired.

A company owned by one of my best mates makes the rescue sleds that they use behind the jetskis, so we get out there and play quite a bit. But don't get me wrong, I don't ever want to go out in surf THAT big!

If you ever make it to Oz, drop me a line and I will get you out there.

Dan

Originally posted by mtnpig

It is real funky getting used to that push/roll start. Do you guys plant your foot at the back wheel to push off?

It's more of a step forward and "pull" the board ahead of you, go to the first page and you'll see a photo that I posted that should help. I agree it's a little awkward, on the day I demo'd I just did a very mild kick and rely on my balance to keep the Dirtsurfer vertical until it picked up enough speed to balance itself.

It is real funky getting used to that push/roll start. Do you guys plant your foot at the back wheel to push off?

Alright mtnpig! Glad to hear you've got one of these! Yes, I plant my rear foot to push off. I've also found it's easier for me if I set my rear foot at a higher angle (say 45-50 degrees) for the push-off, then once I'm going, I turn my rear foot back down to a low angle (like 10-15 degrees). I find it easier to ride and use the brake with my rear foot at a low angle.

The biggest problem I've found is the "wobble" factor of the front wheel on the push-off. If I try hard to lock my rear ankle (so my foot won't tilt from side to side) it goes better.

It also helps a lot to learn on a slope that's just steep enough for you to build up some speed quickly---because more speed really smooths out the wobbles (think bicycle). I also discovered a simple Dirtsurfer rule: the sooner you get your front foot on the deck, the easier it is!

Oh, and one other tip: when you're pushing off, make sure you don't let the Dirtsurfer get ahead of you---because if you do, then your rear leg will catch the brake lever, which of course screws everything up! :) So make sure you stay centered over the board or even slightly to the front until you're on it.

Oh, and still another important tip---remove the Deadman's brake (if your board has one). I was actually told to do this by one of Dirtsurfer's US reps, even though Dirtsurfer doesn't officially condone it. I agreed with him after riding the first time---I think it's unnecessary and potentially dangerous. If you have one and want to remove it, email me directly and I'll tell you how. (It's pretty easy.)

I'm still working on this...but I've seen guys in the vids at the website kick the heck out of it, so I know it can be done!

Scott

Appreciate the tip, as soon as the swelling in my shin goes down I'll try again this Friday. I bought the Flex-deck off of The Big Canuk. Hey D-Sub I think it looks cool. Purpose built machinery has always held my attention. It's simplicity has a certain beauty. I really enjoy all the chatter on these topics. Thanks again, Gavin

I've ridden super soft, large wheels like the 3DM Avilas or the ABEC11 Flywheels which are as tall as your hand. While they are smooth and roll over rough surfaces great for a longboard wheel - they are simply no comparison to inflated rubber tires on the Carveboard and Dirtsurfer. The Dirtsurfer in particular uses any 20" standard bicycle wheel. Even without shocks (only available in the flexboard model) you can ride over rocks, sewer grade, curbs, soft gravel, dirt, down stairs...

I'm much more curious about traction than about ride quality... which would do better in skid-pad testing? :)

Originally posted by NateW

I'm much more curious about traction than about ride quality... which would do better in skid-pad testing? :)

Rubber wheels give you superior smoothness *and* traction... the drawback are that they aren't as lively or as fast (since traction is also friction).

Just got a flex 4 38 inch Vanquard demo from the guys at Loaded. What a great ride smooth flex thanks to a lamanet constrution just like a snowboard lots of feed back!

If you are looking for a sub $200 long board to cruz lots of stuff on the Vanguard is well worth checking out!

Thanks for all the comments guys ... I can always count on bomberheads to have something substantial to say. I have tried the loaded board, the mountain board and a few different longboards and hybrids and I still like the T-board best. It's a smoother ride and the faster it goes, the more stable it feels.

It may be because I'd never skateboarded and wasn't looking for the ride with the best trick potential. Maybe when I get better I'll look for other qualities in a skateboard.

Every snowboarder I've turned on to the T-board has started doing turns within a few minutes. Their first question is: where can I get one of these?

Living in the middle of nowhere (near Winter Park) where there isn't much pavement hasn't been a problem. There are some awesome country roads with beautiful long winding hills that rarely see traffic. It's kind of a waste of gas, but we have one person drive and three or four ride. GOOD FUN!!

Now when I get stopped for construction on Berthoud Pass, I pull out my board, and all the rednecks smoking cigarettes outside of their car are like "what the hell is that thang?"

This is going to be a fun summer ....

Hey guys, I came across this picture of Cliff Coleman on silverfishlongboarding.com. He's doing a coleman slide, and it looks like he's going pretty fast.

I thought this picture really captured the speed and angle of his body. It reminded me alot of the pictures I've seen of carvers here on bomber. Betcha can't do that on a dirtsurfer

You can see behind him there is a trail of stuff (don't know what) being kicked up behind him, reminded me of snow.

Anyways, thought I'd share!

post-1396-141842204094_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Cindy Kleh

Thanks for all the comments guys ... I can always count on bomberheads to have something substantial to say. I have tried the loaded board, the mountain board and a few different longboards and hybrids and I still like the T-board best. It's a smoother ride and the faster it goes, the more stable it feels.

It may be because I'd never skateboarded and wasn't looking for the ride with the best trick potential. Maybe when I get better I'll look for other qualities in a skateboard.

Every snowboarder I've turned on to the T-board has started doing turns within a few minutes. Their first question is: where can I get one of these?

Living in the middle of nowhere (near Winter Park) where there isn't much pavement hasn't been a problem. There are some awesome country roads with beautiful long winding hills that rarely see traffic. It's kind of a waste of gas, but we have one person drive and three or four ride. GOOD FUN!!

Now when I get stopped for construction on Berthoud Pass, I pull out my board, and all the rednecks smoking cigarettes outside of their car are like "what the hell is that thang?"

This is going to be a fun summer ....

Sam, the kiddos, and I will be up your way in July-Sam wants to bring the bikes and ride WP sans snow!!!

Our cabin is in Grand Lake...

Like the other dirtsurfers, I find this contraption encourages you to ride as fast as you possibly can. This is going to have a seriously negative effect on my well-being in the near future, but I'm already kind of hooked.

I took it up Mt. Tabor in Portland, a car-free road that's got a decent slope to it. Rode the brake my first time down, then I went back up and rode it without braking at all, going much faster than I could have run it off if anything happened. I've never gone down that hill on any other deck without braking (or bailing, heh). The Dirtsurfer is just really confidence-inspiring: feels rock-solid at speed...even though I know better, I want to keep pushing it.

It's such an interesting feeling, I feel compelled to probe the limits of the board's performance. I'm going to keep riding fast, try to lay out turns and try to figure out just how sharp I can cut it (the front wheel's range of motion is limited by the frame, so there's a pretty definite limit to how hard you can turn)...just the kind of behavior that leads to munching asphalt.

Depending on timing, I may make it out to the Gorge this weekend: my roommate claims there's a 4-mile downhill around Mosier that his friends ride on longboards with a chase car. Wish me luck. I'll post pics of the aftermath (if any).

Originally posted by Dan

It's such an interesting feeling, I feel compelled to probe the limits of the board's performance. I'm going to keep riding fast, try to lay out turns and try to figure out just how sharp I can cut it (the front wheel's range of motion is limited by the frame, so there's a pretty definite limit to how hard you can turn)...just the kind of behavior that leads to munching asphalt.

Sweet that you are enjoying the Dirtsurfer... try going down some grassy slopes! I went down a some municipal golf course hills to see how far I could lay out the carve... you can actually slide the frame on grass a little before the tire slips out... I only got that far in my demo runs (ended up just "eurocarving" on the grass... minus the getting back up part). For me... I find two lane roads to be a little bit narrow and restricting to me... I like being able to freecarve in any direction I want... plus grass is a lot more forgiving than pavement.

Mine got away from me and took off. I think it's like a horse where once it throws you it then eventualy makes it's way back to the barn. The thing is a cruise missle once it gets going.

Really? I haven't experienced that yet. Do you still have Deadman's brake in place? Or did you remove it? (The Deadman's brake automatically locks the rear wheel if you come off, but most Dirtsurfers take it off, including me.) Even w/o the Deadman's brake, I've found that if I fall off, the Dirtsurfer's frame pretty much stops it quickly anyway (if just falls over on it's side).

I still want to try the footstraps...but I'm gonna wait a bit longer before adding those.

Dan, I agree---the Dirtsurfer definitely encourages you to haul a**! :) I plan to take mine up to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, where there are some epic, 4-5 mile long downhills. The park staff will probably bust me for it...but I plan to say "Hey---it's no different than a bike, and you allow those!" :)

Scott

Originally posted by bobble

anyone try mounting a speedometer or odometer to their dirtsurfer?

Somewhere (can't remember where) I saw a photo where someone had a normal cyclometer mounted on a Dirtsurfer. As long as the computer accomodates the small wheel, it shouldn't be an issue!

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

I was out all days slalom skateboarding and riding a freebord... so I didn't see this article about the Dirtsurfer in the Bay Area. I was like "hey I know those guys" when they interviewed two local Dirtsurfer riders (basically the only two). Pretty cool... I was annoyed by the generalization that Dirtsurfers are too *extreme* for most people... but now that I think of it... it's probably right - I mean 2 riders in the Bay Area?!?!

I knows its been brought up but we have been playing with the entire Loaded Line at Hardbooter and are very pleased. Loaded is trying very hard to get demos out there, if you check around you may find one locally. They make a hill only board called the hammer head that really feels like a snowboard at any speed over 5mph or so and lots of very livly flexes and feels in othe shapes and truck set ups check em out!

Its a skate board for people with no balance ---No wait its for elderly riders you let go of the walker with the left hand then you grab the handle bar of your skate board with your left hand, there is even a place to hang your hadicaped placard.

I should get one now since I am sure going to need a walker later. I could put a wicker basket on the bars and still skate to the store for groceries!

I totaly want to try one. Locally we all laughed at the Diggler scooters when they first came out years ago, and after one switch back we were hooked.

Originally posted by lonerider

I was out all days slalom skateboarding and riding a freebord... so I didn't see this article about the Dirtsurfer in the Bay Area. I was like "hey I know those guys" when they interviewed two local Dirtsurfer riders (basically the only two). Pretty cool... I was annoyed by the generalization that Dirtsurfers are too *extreme* for most people... but now that I think of it... it's probably right - I mean 2 riders in the Bay Area?!?!

That was a great article, except I was disappointed there was not a single mention that the Dirtsurfer has brakes, and they work! So the article more-or-less portrayed the Dirtsurfer as a "death machine" when (in my opinion) it is safer than a skateboard. (Yeah, I know---some will debate that, but I still believe it!)

So far I've only hit 30mph on my Dirtsurfer, but I've been riding pretty conservatively and haven't been to the LONG hills yet! :)

Scott

Originally posted by SWriverstone

That was a great article, except I was disappointed there was not a single mention that the Dirtsurfer has brakes, and they work! So the article more-or-less portrayed the Dirtsurfer as a "death machine" when (in my opinion) it is safer than a skateboard. (Yeah, I know---some will debate that, but I still believe it!)

Scott

Good point! I just fired off an email to the author pointing out the omission of the brakes in the article.

I agree that a Dirtsurfer is safer than a skateboard for downhill riding *if* you ride it at speeds you would on a skateboard at a comparable level of ability (< 30 mph). It never has speed wobbles and you can easily control your speed and stop without difficult. However, if you are hitting 45 mph because you feel so confidant on your Dirtsurfer compared to a skateboard, the added speed makes it more dangerous I think.

I remember my friend mentioning a study done by the NHTSA trying to figure out why coupes roll over more... they put it into a machine that kind of computes the center of balance and confirmed that physically a coupe model and it's sedan counterpart are identical... the difference was that the drivers of coupes tends to drive more aggressively... and hence get into more trouble. I'm actually pretty sure that SUV also more likely to get into a higher percentage of car accidents in the snow despite having 4WD - mainly because it makes drivers over-confidant, where as 2WD drivers tend to be more conservative on the snow (and hence safe).

Update: the author replied to me... I write incredibly poorly, so I deferred on the chance to write a letter to the editor. Scott, you are very good with making you point clearly and concisely... wanna send them an email as a Dirtsurfer owner?

Dear Arvin

Thanks for the note. I think you're right. I should've included that info. If

you'd like I can send this to the Magazine editor who could publish it as a

letter to the editor.

thanks again for reading the story

Del