Note to New Members ×

Don’t do stoopid sh*t

Eboot

I never got to posting this last season.  I had recently put a set of hard bindings on my soft boot carver.  For some reason I had used the F2 Intec center plates on a different set of binding that I had sold and had to use plastic ones that I had lying around.  It’s a soft boot carving board, right?

The first run was about getting a feel for the angles but the second run was amazing.  Good conditions, I was carving like anything.  Until … front foot came out of binding and then back foot, while on my heels!  Half expecting to twist my leg into a pretzel I suddenly found myself sprawled elegantly on my butt, board screaming away down the trail.  Confused as to how that was possible, given that I was leashed, I looked down to find both bindings still firmly attached to my boots.  The bindings had pulled through the center plates!

Happy ending, board landed up in the trees slightly scratched, nobody got hurt, I was able to walk, slide down the mountain, ego in tatters, laughing.

What have you done?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Reminds me of a time I ended up on Ladies at Skiing Louise when the fences were going up in advance of the world cup.  Had to climb over a fence to get off the course.  Put my board over first and watched in horror as it fell over and slid away...  Similarly lucky it didn't hit anyone but it did flip up into a tree and suffered a bent edge. 

I sold it later as-is but have regretted getting rid of that board ever since.  It was a Burton warranty for an original M6...  they had sent me an Asym Air as replacement.  I'd love to get another of the same board today.  At the time, I didn't appreciate it...

• Like 2

Made a big mistake and ended up hitting a rope retention fence at 90 degrees. Was horrifying as I only saw the trees on the other side. Fence worked great with a gentle caressing stop that was downright peaceful - especially considering the violence I was expecting. But it wrapped me up like a burrito. Took forever to free myself. 

Riding down the front face of Buttermilk with a new board in my hands that I bought at the SES demo tent on the other side. Didn't think about how much of a sail it would be, steered me right into the moguls under the lift as soon as a crosswind hit me.  

My first time riding powder in actual mountains: I saw a big powder mound so I did a big heelside slash just like Craig Kelly would do. Yeah, that's a rock you dumb &$#%! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

During a CASI level 4 exam, I set my plates super loose, so I could have extra lateral mobility in the park. I slid down a big, high box, did a nice high pop, absolutely stomped the landing. On impact, both bails flipped open, board parked there, while I ended up running few steps before tripping into snow. You   should have seen the faces of rhe evaluators and other candidates 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

6 hours ago, BlueB said:

During a CASI level 4 exam, I set my plates super loose, so I could have extra lateral mobility in the park. I slid down a big, high box, did a nice high pop, absolutely stomped the landing. On impact, both bails flipped open, board parked there, while I ended up running few steps before tripping into snow. You   should have seen the faces of rhe evaluators and other candidates 🤣

Given your signature shows L3, does that mean you didn't pass?  No disrespect intended 😄

• LOL 1

22 hours ago, Corey said:

Yeah, that's a rock you dumb &$#%! 

That's a good one Corey!

Speaking of boards flying away, there's also Don't Be Stupid!......Was riding up the lift at Boreal for 1st lap night riding and it's a deep pow night and for some reason I decide it's imperative to check I'm solidly attached to my front TD3 SW SI....so what do I do......In a brain fart moment I pull the friking release lever and in shock and embarrassment I see my board drop like a bomb and nose over an auger in nose first in the ungroomed steeps under the lift towards the top.......and disappear!  Gone, Vanished.

So I get to the top and just casually walk off the chair and the lifty just stares  but doesn't say a word.   So I start walking sliding, wading back down to where I last saw the board and spend a hour+ digging here and there for buried treasure until I was about to give up and actually sat down on the tail of the board!  All my pit digging had drifted me downhill and away from the groom, so once I got the board out the real work started.....it was so deep to get back out to the groom I had to lay on top of the board and surf paddle out of the pow.   I was so spent from all that when I finally got back down I was toast and just  went straight to the car!  Not even one!....and Done!!

On 1/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, Eboot said:

I looked down to find both bindings still firmly attached to my boots.

Yikes!  That's scary beyond belief E!   You one lucky dude!! 

Edited by barryj
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, barryj said:

That's a good one Corey!

Speaking of boards flying away, there's also Don't Be Stupid!......Was riding up the lift at Boreal for 1st lap night riding and it's a deep pow night and for some reason I decide it's imperative to check I'm solidly attached to my front TD3 SW SI....so what do I do......In a brain fart moment I pull the friking release lever and in shock and embarrassment I see my board drop like a bomb and nose over an auger in nose first in the ungroomed steeps under the lift towards the top.......and disappear!  Gone, Vanished.

So I get to the top and just casually walk off the chair and the lifty just stares  but doesn't say a word.   So I start walking sliding, wading back down to where I last saw the board and spend a hour+ digging here and there for buried treasure until I was about to give up and actually sat down on the tail of the board!  All my pit digging had drifted me downhill and away from the groom, so once I got the board out the real work started.....it was so deep to get back out to the groom I had to lay on top of the board and surf paddle out of the pow.   I was so spent from all that when I finally got back down I was toast and just  went straight to the car!  No even one....and Done!

Yikes!  That's scary beyond belief E!   You one lucky dude!! 

Senor moment? Lol....