Note to New Members ×

just so you all know

bobdea

Oban is gooooooooooooooooood!

not smokey but has a sharp hint (of something?) to it that is unique.

Just had to tell someone, I am really enjoying a glass right now.

Who ever recomended it to me on here gets a big thumbs up.

I still am a Balvenie hard core, but Oban is right up my alley.

Any other fine malts I should try?

Bob those are both great selections. Tamnavulin is also a good one. Laphroigh (mis-spelled?) is another recommended selection. Oban and the Balvanie are actually my 2 favorites though. Unfortunately they have been cut from the budget of late. Enjoy!!

Laphroigh or however it is spelled is good, its another pricey one but damn its good

tonight I was drinking ghetto and went with Famous Grouse, mighty fine for a budget wisky $33 for the 1.75 litre

beats the pants off of johnny walker or dewars any day

Originally posted by bobdea

Oban is gooooooooooooooooood!

not smokey but has a sharp hint (of something?) to it that is unique.

Just had to tell someone, I am really enjoying a glass right now.

Who ever recomended it to me on here gets a big thumbs up.

I still am a Balvenie hard core, but Oban is right up my alley.

Any other fine malts I should try?

Right ON! Oban is very nice, indeed.

I dunno, but I just can't get into scotch at all. I've tried. Tastes to me like I am drinking out of an ash tray. Fine tequila neat in a snifter is my weakness. Chamucos, El Tesoro, Patron... (insert Homer salivating) It just seems so much more flavorful to me.

malts, there is no smoke to Balvenie and just a tiny hint in Oban, much less than any bourbon in fact

the closest things to compare them with are a very fine irish wiskey but with much more of a oaky character

now on the other hand the islay scotches are very smokey , I have a hard time with most but there are few that I enjoy they taste like tar but in the most incredibly yummy way

I have had the full johnny walker range other than blue and I disliked them all, I can't imagine blue being all that much better

Walker and Chivas are the two that actually are the reason I stayed away from scotch wisky for years

then one day I got talked into trying some of the double wood Balvenie, since then its been a love affair

They sure are smokey dirty and peaty, but most of them have a great sweet character to them too. Laphroag and Laguvilin have already been mentioned but both are excellent. 15 years and later only makes it better. Sooo smooth.

This might have to do with a bottle of Pomerol in me tonight too. :cool:

I'll probably edit this in the morning =P

bobd: i like the new avatar (open the pod bay doors HAL) but miss your dog! he looked like a good buddy.

I agree Jim. Ridge Lytton Springs is my favorite red. Usually only spring for it on Thanksgiving.

As for less aggressive whiskey, bobdea, my brother in law's favorite is Jameson's 1780. It's very nice, but it just doesn't light my fire like fine tequila. I'll try the Balvenie next time I'm in a bar I guess. How do you take it? Not that I <i>need</i> another kind of booze - rum is my backup. And let's not forget the Belgian and German beers!

The MacCallan (Sorry about butchering the spelling) Cask Strength is VERY tastey, too. Not for the faint of heart and un-initiated. Very strong. I can only enjoy it with a splash of water, or on rocks. Once you get past the sharpness by cutting it down some, there's quite an intricate flavor. Gosh, it's been a while ......

Originally posted by bobdea

but I like all most all my distilled spirits on ice including wisky

I got cured of that by working for some time in England, where they looked at me like I was from outer space if I asked for ice. I can't imagine liking Irish Whiskey of any sort, but then I've only had a couple of the commonly availble ones (Jameson's for sure) so I'm open to the suggestion that there are better.

As far as whiskey for beginners, I think you can't go wrong with the MacAllan or Oban. If you don't like those, I suspect whiskey is not for you.

For those who dislike Chivas - if you ever get the chance to try a glass of Royal Salute (the 21 year old), I suggest you put your prejudice aside. Yummy. Now pushing $200 the bottle though...

there are a few decent ones, middleton if you can hack the price on it for the same price you could have three bottles of another decent single malt

the higher end of the bushmills range is good as well, they just lack the amount of character that you would find in decent scotch but not all that much different either

some scotches are so damn close to their irish cousins its hard to tell the difference for example cardhu tastes pretty much like a irish single malt but a little sharper

I don't drown em on ice just a couple cubes that usually melt pretty fast and are gone by the time I am half way through the drink

I have had some great stuff, ice is just a habit I guess from drinking not so great stuff

A splash of distilled water in even the finest whiskey can "awaken" aromas and flavors that might otherwise remain hidden. Some prefer it, some don't. It's certainly not any form of training wheels though. Some "cask strength" scotch whiskey's are actually better off with the addition of a little distilled water - if that's your preference.

FYI, it's my job to know this stuff.

A salesman stopped by this morning offering to make me a Patron Anejo margarita (just to taste) at 10:30 AM - had to decline unfortunately.

Erik J

today, I spent way too much but picked up four single malts including one irish malt after trying them all I have to say that the bushmills 10 Y.O. is good, in fact right up there with some decent scotches

I got some of the 15 year old balvenie, its good but I prefer the double wood which is a couple years younger.

cask strength, mmmmmmmmm the way I like my bourbon, as of yet I have not had the pleasure of a scotch straight from the cask

If you like bourbon, bobdea, and if you can find it, you should check out Jack Daniels single barrel. Pretty rare but it's worth it. I bougt a barrel a few years back and sent a bottle to each of my clients...I just wish I had kept more than one for myself.

Hey - It's a bit pricey, but anyone want to go in on a Bomber Barrel?

Price us usually around $9000 and yields 240 bottles = about $37.50 per bottle

Hey Jack - we could get one for the ECES! that would keep everyine nice & warm!