Note to New Members ×

Have I ever mentioned how insanely awesome the Donek MK is?

jim_s

Sorry, I think I might've mentioned this once or twice before... but at the start of every season, I'm re-amazed by this board. It is absolutely freaking awesome. It brings a huge smile to my face on every run - the lifties must think I'm some kinda nutcase, as I'm usually grinning like a fool and giggling to myself as I plop down on the chair. 😂

Whew, I feel better having gotten that off my chest...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jim_s said:

It is absolutely freaking awesome.

Jim is yours stock or a mutant offspring like Corey's??                                How long you had it??   How long can you/do you ride it when on the hill? 

I was tempted by Sean's willingness to make me a 20w UPM MK mutant but I went with a Coiler Angrry 160 UPM (F PLate) that just arrived before xmas.

Really enjoying that as a step up from my Donek Rev 163 UPM (F PLate) in .......livelyness, velocity,  violent direction changes and ability to ride it all day long!

@barryj - I got the MK back in the 2017/2018 season, and have been riding it as my sole (soul?? :-) board since then. I ride it all day, every day, in all conditions. (Granted, I really never ride more than 3 days in a row - I suspect by the 4th or 5th consecutive day, I'd probably need a day off... I also never see more than a few inches of fresh snow at a time - the MK would be an anchor in truly deep snow, though I suspect that could be said for any skinny, flat-tailed, alpine board.)

It's a stock MK. I'm a lightweight (likely 145 by the time I'm all layered up, wearing my UPZs, helmet, etc), and I was concerned about my ability to flex the stock board. Sean said I was sorta right on the line of it being a usable flex for me, and I'm really glad I stuck w/ the stock board - it's a significant workout riding it all day, but it's a crazy dynamic board - lots of pop between tight-radius turns, but will also run huge, sweeping carves if I let it. It's a whole lot more work slowing it down than letting it run wide, but living in the mid-Atlantic, and riding at smaller places, the tight radius carves are the key to getting in lots of turns, but not taking people out nor being taken out by others. The other thing that cracks me up about it is it's ability to pump - I routinely blow by people on cat tracks, bottoms of trails, etc, as they're trying to keep moving or skating (on skis) - meanwhile, I'm continuing to carve up a storm as I whiz past them - the board just has all kinds of energy output in response to energy input. 

I've never ridden a board w/ a plate, but from what I know of them, I suspect it'd be a Soul-damning level of Sin to run a plate on a stock MK. It is a wound up, exuberant, full-feedback little beast. I think that to truly experience it, you probably need to be willing to naked-mud-wrestle with it on every run. 🙂

Cool to hear the Angrry is working well - I'd love to try one of those one day - it sounds a whole lot like the MK!

5 minutes ago, jim_s said:

full-feedback little beast

Hey jims

Thanks for the info.   Yeah I have always wanted to try one but the most  frequent feedback I heard is the MK has a leg numbing buzz which wears ya out and adds to it not being ridden more than 2-3 hours per session by most riders.

Sean and I discussed the use of a UPM plate could reduce this buzz and increase it's all day potential.  So I know what my next board is to be if/when I need an (even) more turny board!

With all the ft. of snow were getting out here  groomer days to let this little Coiler bandit run has not happened yet.  I've only had maybe a dozen  test ride runs in soft  afternoon chopped up groom....but it's lively!

Alas, were expecting another 60 inches over the next 5 days again so out on the pow board again tonight!  

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Her's the little bandit.........

4.jpg.2f8960700dd4783115b0df8061d5ee29.jpg1388401980_20230106_084345(2).jpg.153894827ccadfc20bb4e3c3133e58f4.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, barryj said:

Yeah I have always wanted to try one but the most  frequent feedback I heard is the MK has a leg numbing buzz which wears ya out and adds to it not being ridden more than 2-3 hours per session by most riders.

TBH, I've never noticed anything like this. The board does make a low growling noise when carving on solid snow - it's really kind of strange, and I've heard others mention it, as well. So, that's obviously the result of some type of vibration, but I've never felt it transmitting up into my feet or legs or such.  The MK can definitely vibrate a bit in the nose on hard or chopped up (but still hard) snow if you don't manage your fore/aft weight transition through the progression of the carve, but I've never found that to be particularly bad, either - it's usually a sign that I'm being lazy and static in my weight distribution, and getting back on top of my weight transfer largely makes it go away. (Frozen-solid corduroy and cat-chopped boilerplate tend to lead to nose chatter no matter what you do, it seems.)

It could also be that I benefit from being pretty lightweight, as well as the fact that I have a near-obsessive biking habit, so my legs and lungs are used to long hours of abuse. (I will say that when seriously pushing tight carves on a long run, riding the MK becomes a genuinely aerobic exercise.)

I dunno, @Odd Job - I rode an SL board for about 10 years before getting the MK, and I find the MK an overall better ride in pretty much every respect. (It does need be ridden differently than the SL, though, for sure.) I LOVED that SL board, and I honestly expected I'd probably switch back and forth between it and the MK from time to time, but I literally never rode the SL board again after getting the MK. 🙂

I could see the MK being a different experience for someone who weighed more than my skinny self, though. While Sean said I was on the lower end of the weight range for the MK, I wouldn't really want it to be any softer than it is. I could see it being able to be overpowered by a heavier, stronger rider.

I remember when I was a much worse rider, turning the MK pretty much about my height as a turn radius on a steep(er) run. I really wouldn't want to try riding one now, I would just hold back a crap ton. 

I distinctly remember the nose just giving in like some kind of rubber eraser or memory foam padding compared to the rest of the board; probably why it turns so tight and is "so good" on ice.

I'm also over 200 lbs though.

10 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I distinctly remember the nose just giving in like some kind of rubber eraser or memory foam padding compared to the rest of the board; probably why it turns so tight and is "so good" on ice.

I'm also over 200 lbs though.

Yeah, I suspect the MK would be noticeably different ride for someone over the 150-160lb range, and way different for those over 200lbs. I would personally classify my weight as being pretty close to the sweet spot for the MK - it takes a fair bit of work to ride it and bend it, but it's flex, dynamic response, and ability to vary the carve radius at my weight is what I love about it. If I were heavier, or it were softer, I could see it being too floppy for me in some situations.

I wonder if the comparatively flexy nose (WRT the mid-section and tail) is a trait of the original Madd, and thus replicated by Donek, or if it's some sort of secret sauce that Donek added? My Donek SL board actually had a very flexy nose - even at my low weight, I could over-flex the SL board's nose if I really got forward. There were a number of times where I'd get too far over the front of the SL, and it'd just about fold up, then unleash and fling me over the bars, LoL. Man, I loved that board! (But I love the MK even more!! 🙂

I could see a tamer, calmer board in my longer-term future (I'm 57 now, so if I can make it another decade or so on boards that demand a lot of attention, I'll be pretty satisfied 🙂 (I sometimes wonder if skiing might be more sensible over 70, but I just can't mentally/emotionally go there yet...)

I rode my 20cm waist MK variant for 3 hours yesterday. Was absolutely perfect for a terribly boring ski hill! I could just do wall-to-wall carves on the widest run with its tight radius and could do tight pump carves down the side of the bunny hill back to the lift line. 

I definitely notice the added high-frequency vibrations that the MK passes through when compared to any of my other boards. It's not bad on good groom, but when as it's yellow man-made ice my knees get tired quick.  

It does have a sweet spot. If you load the nose too aggressively in the mid to late turn, it'll wash out. If you feed the board forward through the turn it's epic. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Corey said:

and could do tight pump carves down the side of the bunny hill back to the lift line

OMG, I know - that's one of my favorite things - the ability to just keep pumping out endless short-radius carves on flatter terrain that you'd otherwise be trying to get all tucked down for to just try to manage not to grind to a halt on! 🙂

Interesting about the vibrations you guys have mentioned - I guess as this is the only board that I ride, I have nothing to really compare it to. Doesn't bother me at all, but I perhaps it's just what I am accustomed to. Whatever it is, I wouldn't trade it for the world! 🤣

On 1/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, Erik J said:

don't find the nose too soft at all. Give the nose some attention and it hooks beautifully. I'm 185 or so before any gear.

Awesome to hear it holds up for 'real man' sized people. I'd love to one day get out and ride with some others on an MK, just to see how the different approaches, techniques, etc play out. (Maybe I can make MCC next year...)

Love the comment about it going to 11 - I wholeheartedly agree! Life is too short to spend time relaxing on a snowboard! 🙂