setup tweak - can't seems to make turn with rear upper cuff buckle

pow4ever

regular rider
951 MS WC boots
Big calves 
TD3 STD binding 60(6degree lift)/60 (3 degree lift
50.5 cm between binding
some forward lean on back foot.

When put away last season:  everything seems to be working well.
I notice it last year; when i have a bad start; loose the upper buckle on back foot and it help at the cost of response time.
Then bucket it snugged and life is great.

Fast forward to this season:  I can't ride with the upper cuff buckle(just the rear) at all.  front upper buckles are nice and snugged.

Naive way of thinking ; getting longer ladder for the upper cuff but front boot/leg is fine; no problem so it's tight but my leg/calves size are symmetric.

Another data point - heel side seems off (not 100% but good enough).  toe side is ok.

Any ideas on what direction to go?  Does this happen to anyone else?
more/less splay?  narrower/wider binding distance?  canting? blood sacrifice? 

Do one adjust at a time.  Try more forward lean on rear boot, puts your rear leg in better angle before you put more forward pressure  and drop rear angle 3 degrees that will put more pressure on heal edge good luck  Is that 3 degree toe lift front   6 degree heal lift rear ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ibrussell said:

Do one adjust at a time.  Try more forward lean on rear boot, puts your rear leg in better angle before you put more forward pressure  and drop rear angle 3 degrees that will put more pressure on heal edge good luck  Is that 3 degree toe lift front   6 degree heal lift rear ?

What! like a control science experiment? 😉. that's too much logic.
6 Degrees Toe Lift and 3 degree heel lift. 

The good part is that i am start to be more sensitive about setup which does help when trying to dial stuff in.

I remembered trying more forward lean last year and more splay didn't help.

When I switched to MS I had to remove the outward canting I was previously using on my back foot.  If you are using outward cant, maybe remove it.

Maybe swap 6 degree cant disc from front binding to back binding.  Or replace back binding 3 degree cant disc with a 6 degree disc.

Remind me how tall you are, and your inseam?  IIRC, stance width seems good.

• Thanks 1

If your toes point at 12 o'clock, what angle is the pain on your leg/shin on that clock face? Find a way to move the cuff/boot that way. 

Mine was always at 12 so I increased forward lean, and finally added a 6-degree heel lift once I bumped up against the limit of my ankle joint with lean alone. YMMV

• Like 1

@pow4evero Compare your Mountain Slopes to your previous boots that presumably worked well. Both sole ramp angle and heel position are significant variables that may affect your relative position to the board edge.

I've just been trying to find a thread where @Coreytalks about the technique things he reminds himself of when his riding isn't going the way it used to. New season and new equipment not riding well makes it a good time to remind oneself of the foundation of technique.

Merry Christmas from NZ.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

I've just been trying to find a thread where @Coreytalks about the technique things he reminds himself of when his riding isn't going the way it used to.

My internal cues are:

- Tip the board high with ankles/knees/hips

- Reaching for your front boot cuff with the outside hand can help drive the above

- Drive the board sidewall into the snow, hard at the start of the turn

I didn't ride at all last season, so I'm going to be putting these into practice as soon as I get on the snow again! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 5:15 PM, Jack M said:

Remind me how tall you are, and your inseam?  IIRC, stance width seems good.

Thanks Jack!  I got long torso but short leg.  6 feet height with 32 inseam.
Remove back foot canting seems to be working toward the positive direction.

Thank you Allen/Corey!!  will 
This times seems to be dialing in the setup (fingers/toes crossed).  I am hitting some sort of hard stop.  
I do have a snowboard journal on technique cheatsheet :-)
dear diary:  mountain spank me hard today and i like it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all!! 

19 hours ago, Corey said:

If your toes point at 12 o'clock, what angle is the pain on your leg/shin on that clock face? Find a way to move the cuff/boot that way. 

Mine was always at 12 so I increased forward lean, and finally added a 6-degree heel lift once I bumped up against the limit of my ankle joint with lean alone. YMMV

YES!  the back foot cuff seems to have mind of its own.  wandering boot cuff syndrome.
That goes away without the boot cuff buckles.

maybe mystery solved.  it's all in the boots.

liner - booster strap - tongue - buckle
Boost strap move around and wrecking havoc on everything.  Goldilock positioning. 
at least One season wasted....   but the detour is an interesting one.

not sure how to solved it.   starting with maybe longer ladder on the boots.