Note to New Members ×

any experience with steepwater ?

raj

Looking to replace my main softboot ride, 5 year old Donek Incline 164 (got lots of core shots this year on rocks with the PNW winter).

Have heard a lot about steepwater snowboards but not seen them so have to get online. I am looking at the steepwater steep 164. Seems to have the largest sidecut of any freeride board out there (like that) and has a pintail which is why I am considering these.

If anyone has ridden these, would like to hear about the durability, construction and the ride: especially crud and is it stable at speed.

My specs, 5'8, 145-150, ride Hood meadows and Timberline. Want to get it now to do some hiking higher up on Hood, Adams etc to make up for our lost season.

I ride a 171 and absolutely love it. carves beautifully, handles nimbly, and seems solidly built. cant comment on the 64 as I havent ridden one, nor on durability since mine is pretty new.

my dealings with Steve Klassen have been far beyond favorable, so based on that alone Id say youre golden!

Now’s the time to pick one up! They ride all conditions well! Powder, crud, speed and it carves better than some of my alpine boards! I wish they make a 181 with a 13m scr that would be love! I ride a 171 plow with catek fr pros and north wave boots. Take it anywhere!

post-208-141842203987_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone

DB that looks darn good for softboots. Are you running fairly forward angles ?

Hey D-sub which dealer did you get yours for 300 ? SVR, what did you like about the rad air better ?

My list of boards (which all seem similar) to chose from are the steepwater steep, rad air tanker, Rossignol Jeremy Jones and the windterstick severe terrain (all in the 162-166 range). The steepwater has the biggest sidecut thats why I was thinking about it first. Can't demo (or even flex) any of them in Portland :-(

got mine from the shop in auburn, ca. cant remember the name, but go to www.steepwatersnowboards.com, find dealers, and just call a few folks

guy's name was Dakota that sold me the board. VERY cool guy.

Id say just call the dealers listed until you find one, including the wave rave shop in mammoth.

hell...Id bet that if you got the board, rode it, and hated it (not gonna happen) steve klassen would personally give you your money back.

The steepwater rode well, but the tanker performed better for me in all conditions and especially on icy and groomed runs. I had one of the first season steepwaters and am not sure how much they changed after that, and I also felt that the board was too short for my liking (I ride 200cm Tankers for almost everything). Good board, but not quite up to what I had hoped. Also, my experience with steepwater for customer service was not good as I phoned them many times and e-mail quite often and never really got the questions I wanted answered. I have heard people have the same experiences that I had and I have heard the complete opposite where people had great replies from Steve Klassen directly so mine may have been an isolated incident. Either way I think that you will like the tanker or the steepwater as they both ride well.

speed is your friend...

Originally posted by svr

Also, my experience with steepwater for customer service was not good as I phoned them many times and e-mail quite often and never really got the questions I wanted answered. I have heard people have the same experiences that I had and I have heard the complete opposite where people had great replies from Steve Klassen directly so mine may have been an isolated incident. Either way I think that you will like the tanker or the steepwater as they both ride well.

you know...at first, I had some real problems with them too. The people at Wave Rave have always been sorta snotty to me and many of my friends. They seem to have this "we're hardcore, youre not" attitude

and I had quite a few emails go unanswered, but then Klassen responded with a wealth of info and much help.

I guess thats something theyd need to work on, for sure

Id love to try out a tanker 172 as an all rounder though

Raj. Don't let D-Sub fool you. He hasn't ridden the 172cm either TMK. He is in the "Hunt" for one also. So, act fast if one shows up. The smallest I ride in the series is the 192cm, it is the narrowest (good for hard boots)and still has good "Float" yet carves well (like a real short , fat free carve board) I am a big fan of the Tanker too. I looked at the SteepWater while at Wave Rave. Nice board. They just don't make a big one. I think they had like a 180cm but it was a "Kite" board? Not allot of sidecut or something, forget now, it was not what I typically liked. Tried to visit with Steve on several occasions. However , it is hard to hold it against him if he is gone on another exotic "Extreme Mission" type trip. The guy is living the life!! More power to him. Note to self, get a tramp! He has amazing "Air Awareness" and a high fear threashold. Bryan

PS. Last summer I could have bought a bunch of 172cm Tankers. I was focussed on what I ride (and my local big board bros) 200cm Wish I had grabbed them then. Long gone I am sure.

Might take a look at "Garage" snowboards. John builds one of my favorite alpine board (used to that is) and I am sure they rip. I have a 173cm if you want to take a look / flex on it in PDX?

Not sure I am willing to loan it this late in the season. Check in next season? I offered it to D-Sub at Bachelor , but he was too happy complaining about the board he was on that day.

:rolleyes: Just kidding!! Garage Snowboards Link

heh

raj, he's right. if a tanker 72 comes up for a sick price Im gonna grab it just cuz I want to try one and see how the two compare!

tis true about Klassen...far as I can tell he's all over the place, so definitely cant hold it against him if he doesnt respond to emails, AND like I said, my most recent exhchanges with him were about as helpful as it gets.

its a small operation, and it doesnt sound like theres anyone doin "PR" except him, so...

Originally posted by D-Sub

heh

if a tanker 72 comes up for a sick price Im gonna grab it just cuz want to try one and see how the two compare!

I emailed Rad Air USA and they didn't reply. Do they have any Tanker 162s, I want to try that as that is still "big" for me as a freeride board (... *maaybe a 172, but I doubt it).

Sorry D-sub I am not a dealer just a hardcore fan of the boards and the crew, but I can get boards for anyone if they cannot get them from the states...try the following first and if that fails let me know.

try www.hardbooter.com under the powder section

or,

Global Wintersports

3588 Riverside Drive

Columbus, OH 43221

(614) 451-0081, toll free 1-888-4radair

fax (614)586-0031

e-mail: usa@rad-air.com

Point of Contact is: Al Cabral

to see the graphiocs for the 05-06 models: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6303

My Steepwater Plow 171cm is significantly stiffer than my 182cm Tanker. The nose of the Tanker likes to "flap" is the breeze, not sure is there is an issue with the board or if that is how they are constructed. Don't get me wrong, when the conditions are soft, the Tanker performs great, but in more firm conditions, I ride the Steepwater! :D

Hi folks, I'm the dealer D-Sub was talking about (Dude your memory is astounding!)

Right now they got nada at the US Distributor and Al is out of commission with 2 plates and nine screws in his leg (skiing accident, serves him right ....jus' kiddin he's a great guy). Nothing from 172-200 in the Tankers except oversize. They imported a bunch but the boards are gaining popularity in the US and they're sold out. From what it looks like the next batch of Tankers 05-06 is gonna msrp at $799 for all models. Sorry D-sub, until the Euro stops bitchslappin the Dollar it may be super expensive to go Rad-Air. If you see a 172 definitely grap it! I've got a shipment coming in next week and still have some old stock and demos if anyone is interested. Website to be up by June 15. Probably ask a lot of y'all for pointers and ideas on the site beforehand.

I also do trades for other "exotic" boards.

RJ

exoticboards@sbcglobal.net

I've never had the flap on my 200, which year's 182 are you sportin?

RJ-PS, glad to hear that you are going strong. Wish you could have made it to the LBC in Austria...it was a blast and was really awesome to see all the people on tankers from all of the years of production. Hope that you have a sell out year next year and the 05-06 models rock and the pics I posted do not do justice for the colors as they look awesome and ride better as Harry and the crew have done it again and made the boards even better than this years. Can't wait to see your new site.

speed is your friend...

post-420-141842204006_thumb.jpg