Note to New Members ×

Winterstick Squaretail Plus 170

Jack M

@Winterstick has come a long way with their full metal construction since first dabbling in it in 2018.  In fact I would put their construction at least on par with Donek and Coiler now, and that’s saying something.

DBB39BA1-801F-449A-9901-1EEFAE1C8C3A.jpeg

I spec'd this board as a full custom to see if it could replace my beloved stock Kessler 168.  Winterstick is made right at my home mountain, Sugarloaf, so it would be great if I could have a local custom alpine board maker!  Long story short, mission accomplished.

The numbers:

170cm long
21cm waist
10-13.5-11m VSR sidecut

88DD77F6-D4AA-4B4F-BDAF-09B630D87CE1.jpeg

Got camber?

I asked for extra torsional stiffness between the feet, and the result is what I hoped for.  The idea is to achieve what I think are some of the big benefits of a plate - that is to reduce the amount you can twist the board with your feet, and reduce the tendency for the board to kink in the middle - without having to use a heavy plate.  I learned this while testing plates like the Donek AF and Allflex Spring Plate.  These significantly limit you twisting the board, but unlike an Apex or Boiler, they also limit mid board flex.

https://www.jmphotocraft.com/Sports/Skiing-and-Snowboarding/Misc/i-qBFvqv8/A
(3pm, mediocre conditions)

It took 2 builds to get the result I wanted.  The first was softer and with a 9-12-11m sidecut.  It actually worked great but it turned more like a slalom 163 for me, which was not the goal.  This is supposed to be an all-around freecarver, longer turning than an SL but nowhere near a GS plank.  The second build is majorly stiffer and with the slightly longer sidecut above.  I asked for it 50% stiffer and it's at least that.  It's probably the stiffest board I've ever had.  However at my midlife crisis weight, this turned out to be a good thing for serious carving.  This makes it a little less friendly than a stock Kessler 168 for general maneuvering and skidded turns, but the combination of the stiffness and high camber make it very exciting up on edge, and it will launch you airborne between carves.  I can really feel the board pressing the tip and tail down into the snow.  Edge hold is excellent.

https://www.jmphotocraft.com/Sports/Skiing-and-Snowboarding/Misc/i-WRxvDpw/A

The sidecut is something special.  It's not just 3 different radii butted together.  There is some proprietary mathematical blending going on between the segments that make the sidecut feel like a continuous curve.  The sweet spot is large and the flex and shape of the board are in harmony.  I've owned and tried other VSRs with small sweet spots where the different segments of the sidecut felt obvious and like they were fighting each other if you weren't exactly positioned in the right place over the board.

https://www.jmphotocraft.com/Sports/Skiing-and-Snowboarding/Misc/i-nCtQn38/A
(sometimes getting bogged down in loose sugar all the way down the left side)

4D0FD641-AED5-474E-90B9-BF8F37D69CA9.jpeg

New matte topsheet - I like this better than Carbonium and it seems tougher.

I'm loving this board and cannot wait to ride it again this season.  Indeed I sold my Kessler 168 as this will be my path forward for a midsized go-to freecarver.  Based on this experiment, I've ordered a 163 version.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, Jack M said:

to see if it could replace my beloved stock Kessler 168. , mission accomplished.

Damn!  That's a Tall order in itself for any company to try to duplicate that K168 magic, but for you to feel Winterstick succeeded is......WOW!

Hows the price comparison?? 

On 9/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, Jack M said:

I've ordered a 163 version.

Hmm.....what's the scr on that going to be ?? .... and is this new ride going more towards a Donek Rev or Coiler Angrry or all the way to a MK slingshot ??

20 hours ago, barryj said:

Damn!  That's a Tall order in itself for any company to try to duplicate that K168 magic, but for you to feel Winterstick succeeded is......WOW!

Hows the price comparison?? 

Hmm.....what's the scr on that going to be ?? .... and is this new ride going more towards a Donek Rev or Coiler Angrry or all the way to a MK slingshot ??

Well, note the difference between "duplicated" and "replaced".  This board has a different feel than the K168 due in large part to the stiffness.  This makes it more aggressive and exciting but also less maneuverable.  The stiffness was achieved with 4 sheets of carbon instead of 2.  I think if they made another version with 3 sheets, it would feel closer to the K168, but it would still be different.  It "replaces" the K168 for me because it serves the same purpose in the quiver (similar turn size, a go-to board for moderately icy or better conditions), and because I love it so much as to not miss my K168.  But they're not the same.

Cost is a little less than a Kessler... bought from all-boards.com.  Of course i-carve.com is cheaper.  Winterstick is a tiny company.

Sidecut on the 163 will be 9-11.5-10.5m.  It will be an SL turn size for early season, crowds, narrow trails, and ice.

9 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Hello Jack, is there standard sidecut nomenclature? Does this mean nose/middle/tail or nose/tail/middle or nose/tail/average? Appreciate it, cheers. 

I mean it as nose/middle/tail radius.  Seems to be a pretty common way people describe variable sidecut radius shapes around here.  Not sure if it's standard.  But like I said, Winterstick also (wisely) blends the 3 segments, so it's an approximation.

• Like 1