Note to New Members ×

Titanium mounting screws

svr

I have an affinity for titanium. It's some pretty cool stuff. Especially aircraft grade.

If I had the scratch, I'd get some Gold Diggers for bling, but right now I have to settle for my right-hand ring, and my Leatherman XTI.

:D

Funny anecdote: A friend wanted to make his car lighter by taking out the rear seat cushions, for a total savings of about 10lbs max. I told him to go to racing school instead.

Okay, that wasn't too funny, but it's summer time, and I'm not carving snow, just pavement.

Not worried about stainless breaking, I just wanted to do some comparitive shopping to see what various ti screws would cost to change out the m6 hardware on my catek freerides to try to lighten them any way possible (I think I am going to take the base plates and base of the bindings to the machine shop at work to remove some material as well). I just got back from a recent trip in Austria and Switzerland where we did a lot of hiking and the extra weight of the bindings really started to bug me while carrying the board for long stretches. I love the adjustability of the bindings, but they are a bit heavy. So I just wanted to get an idea what ti hardware for the whole binding would run. Thanks to everyone for the input.

speed is your friend...

I am willing to bet that you could grind away allot of the the freerides before you would effect their performance.

The disk is where I think you could take the most out.

other than heel hoops and straps has anyone had a failure?

anyone ever broke any of the Olympics or WC exculding bails and intec recievers?

Bob, I already drilled sixteen 1/2 inch holes in the outer ring (in the aluminum above the dampening ring) of each base plate as well as removing some of the excess in the center of the disks and have had no noticeable problems and it did lighten them a bit. I am now considering where I can remove material from the red base as it is pretty thick and actually is the primary rason the binding is so heavy and I have asked one of the aircraft structural mechs that I work with to see where I can remove material without degrading the strength and integrity of the whole binding. I will try to get some pics of the mods I have made and post them.

speed is your friend...