Note to New Members ×

Stowe vs. Sugarbush / VT in early April

FTA2R

Hi All,

Thoughts on how these mountains compare? I rode Stowe once (a few years ago) for a few days; never been to Sugarbush. One better than the other for carving?

What about typical conditions in early April at these resorts.

l'd prefer to go earlier, but may have a free lodging the first full weekend of April. 

Stowe will have better conditions and better carve-friendly terrain, but those weekend crowds...aye carumba. Sugarbush, while still crowded on weekends seems to better disburse the masses.  Trails are a bit tight and rolly, but still some good opportunities. I go there when it dumps to ride softies as their trees are awesome and plentiful.  It may be a bit sparse in April if VT doesn't start getting some snow.  We're coming up on Presidents Weekend already and only have a third of what we usually have by now and northern VT has done much better than southern with the white stuff...fwiw

i can see the potential at Stowe when it has plentiful snow. this is probably why it's such a popular destination resort and i saw an awful lot of virginia, penn. and ny plates in the lot. however, i was just there this past week for a few days and found that the grooming was absolutely horrible on diamonds and double diamond terrain. ridges at every pass of the cat on the steeper terrain and bumpy that the dominantly skier traffic creates on the more narrow and/or windy/turny trails. lotta snowboarders ride like skier too. shorter skidding turns and speed checks. i found that the terrain design/layout almost forces this on most of the terrain and it aggravated the sh!t out of me. gondolier trail is the only good carving trail and a main trail that gets a fair amount of traffic. i rode sugarbush a couple years ago in mid/late March at the Mt. Ellen side for a banked slalom event. i didn't ride around too much because of the event, but when i did i remember a better terrain offering for carving than Stowe. wait a minute! first weekend of April? is this an April fools? haha. have fun!

• Like 1

If you go to Stowe and plan on carving as a focus know you will have to be there, in line, before open for the Forerunner Quad knowing you'll get maybe 4 laps before it will be skied off on any holiday or weekend. You must keep an eye on the Sunny Spruce quad that opens an hour later because you'll want to be there for that.  Which is great because after that gets skied off, which won't be long!, you can head to the village and drown your sorrows in expensive beer. 🍻  

At that point you'll start wondering why you didn't go to Jay...

Edited by lonbordin
sorry... not sorry.
  • LOL 2

Sugarbush has more open and forgiving terrain for carving than Stowe. The layout also lends itself to spreading people out more. Look at the trail maps of the two and it will be evident. Stowe is a significantly older mountain and has classic NE skinny, windy trails.

The grooming at Stail is disgraceful at this point. They lost a bunch of veteran groomers during the acquisition and it's been absolute trash since.

In regards to terrain influence on turn and riding style, 14-15 was brutally cold and there was pretty much nothing in the way of non-locals. Everything was smooth and ran downhill. From extremely narrow single track in the woods to bump fields, everything. Then presidents week happened, and things were as mentioned. Short skidded turns, fear bumps in and before every corner, no flow to be found anywhere. It's not the fault of the terrain.