Note to New Members ×

Drone video

JohnE

I have this fantasy that one could buy an inexpensive drone camera, throw it up in the air and have it fly 10 feet behind you as you carve down the slopes and have it land in your hand just before you get on the lift. And have some great close in videos. 

I realize that drones are illegal in National Forests - but that doesn't deter people. 

I looked at drone/snowboard videos on Youtube and found that for the most part the snowboarders weren't very skilled and the drone technology isn't anywhere near this advanced. When the drone didn't loose track of the rider it was usually hundreds of feet above the rider and the riders were specs in the video. 

If you get past the against-the-law thing, is the technology just not there? Or am I not looking in the right place? 

Is anyone aware of videos anywhere near my fantasy?

This is possible, the tech is there, but not inexpensive.  However if you want to do this at a resort, definitely check for their rules about drones.  They probably require explicit permission, or they may forbid them entirely.  If they give you permission they may ask for your drone's FAA registration.  I have the DJI Mavic 2 Pro.  I do some real estate photography as a side gig.  I haven't tried to use it to video carving yet because my resort requires permission and I haven't wanted to try asking yet.  The Mavic 2 and Mavic Air 2 will descend with you, the original Mavics did not.  The Mavic will visually track you, or you can tell it to follow the controller and then put the controller in a backpack or a large pocket.  The Skydio 2 drone seems like another good choice.  It has visual tracking and it also has a optional "beacon" that the drone will follow. e.g.: https://youtu.be/-hJJDWw0VoU?t=320

https://shop.skydio.com/products/skydio2?variant=31589058052119&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=14472560856&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qGNBhD3ARIsAO_o7ynk-WOO3AxVP_Bd0gZ3kn2xRqz3o0G3C-PYLFGSQkjUyKKn9DkcmtoaAuLFEALw_wcB&kit=Sports

The Mavic 2 Pro will have better image quality for still photographs as it has a 1" sensor, the Skydio has a smaller 1/2.3" sensor.

The videos from MCC are being flown.  DJI Mavic 2 drones.  Clint from Vault Media has been coming to our event for the last couple years and filming.  He recently got the Mavic 3 and is super excited to come and film with it at this years event.   

If anyone is interested in bringing and filming drone stuff at MCC, get in touch with me.

• Like 1