Note to New Members ×

Mt Baker?

David Kirk

4 hours ago, David Kirk said:

There's a remote chance that my wife and I might move from Bozeman, MT to Bellingham WA to live. What's the carving at Baker like?

dave

Dave,

Mt Baker is not usually a good carving mountain for a few reasons:

1. Too much snow…powder boards are recommended.

2. The last few years the grooming crews have been pretty terrible at laying consistent cord…it is often a mixed bag of ridges and inconsistent lanes.

Stevens Pass and Crystal are better carving mountains in Washington, and then you have really good carving at Cyprus and Whistler across the boarder.

hope that helps,

sandy

6 hours ago, svr said:

Dave,

2. The last few years the grooming crews have been pretty terrible at laying consistent cord…it is often a mixed bag of ridges and inconsistent lanes.

Stevens Pass and Crystal are better carving mountains in Washington, and then you have really good carving at Cyprus and Whistler across the boarder.

hope that helps,

sandy

Thank you Sandy - that's consistent with what I see on the Baker website. They get a lot of snow and there's not much groomed terrain....and if the groomers don't do a great job with it that seals the deal.

I'll check out the other two areas you mention.

dave

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, svr said:

Dave,

hope that helps,

sandy

I approve this message

20 hours ago, Todd West said:

Don't rule out Mission Ridge in Wenatchee, grooming crew is pretty proud of their cord!!

This is one of my favorites in WA.

• Like 2

There's always few h/booters at Cypress, in despite of our grooming becoming worse over the years. Actually, last season was a bit better than previous few... Drop us a line if ever headed this way. Avoid the weekends, though. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 2