Note to New Members ×

WTF 2022 Jan 13- 29

snowreport: tue feb 08, 2022
howdy alI

another nice day like yesterday, same conditions with the dry crumbly snow in the early morning then in the afternoon the sun warms the snow and put some moisture it and holds it together. lightly skied off so stays smooth all day. wanted to stay longer, but got tired from riding hard from opening bell. rode with Mario all morning, he never waits for anybody, but today he waited for me and we made a bunch of runs on chair 2. then we did a chair 1 run on toni matt, but I lost him at the very bottom. so went to lunch and the sun was out and chair 2 snow was soft and the crunchy marbles got soft and it was really good carving in the afternoon. would have liked to stay longer, but got tired so called it at 2pm... still good carving, but forecast is warm temps all week and the freeze/thaw is starting...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu feb 10, 2022
howdy alI

it was foggy above chair 2 and really thick at the very top and slowly lifts by the afternoon. really warm temps first thing in the morning and the snow already had moisture in it and carved really good. as I was going up chair 6 to start my day I noticed chair 2 was bouncing up and down and stopping. did two runs and entered the gates and the chair seemed to be having problems so bailed and took a pee break and when I got back out nobody was on the chairs and they shut chair 2 down. met up with johnasmo and we did some runs on chair 1. I was going to lunch and thought to head down to ed's cause nobody was on it and it was really good so did another lap and had lunch. I got back out and did the same run and noticed chair 8 was stopped and later heard it was down for a half hour. ed's was getting really soft and every run it got softer like spring mash potato's. chair 2 started up about 1pm with very little people on it. it got tough to run thru the soft snow and it was time... fun day... forecast is more warm days and the freeze/thaw begins...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2:30...

snowreport: fri feb 11, 2022
howdy alI

nice blue sky morning and a little cooler with some wind. firm icy dry groomers with scraped off groom that turned into icy hard marbles. took a run on ed's then went to the baselodge to get a coffee and breakfast and took my time. went back and sat on ed's and enjoyed the view and the cool morning air kept the snow firm. every run was horrible and just going thru the motions to wait for the snow to get some moisture in it. the cool breeze kept the snow dry even with the shining sun. made some nice turns on the crunchy snow. the snow never got soft so called it at 12:30pm. I did not go to the summit cause people said it was icy. yesterdays snow was really soft so the ice that firmed up must be pretty deep. it is not going to be good till we get some new snow... thought I was going to have fun in the slush with the softies...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: mon feb 14, 2022
howdy alI

happy valentines day to all you lady carvers … took my time this morning and got on snow just before 11am. the temps was really nice and comfy even with my spring time gear, never felt cold and actually was too warm after a run. groom was smooth and polished and could barely dig in. slarving most of the time on the steeps and carved kinda good on the flat spots. rode with johnasmo in the morning and he was carving everything while I was sliding around. made some good turns on the backside after I took a break. started to snow around 1pm and should continue off and on tomorrow. groom stays smooth and gets lightly skied off into powdered sugar so stays good all day. today was better than I thought it would be...

rode the 157fp from 11 till 3...

snowreport: tue feb 15, 2022
howdy alI

checked the storm cam and there was almost 3 inches of pow and the snowreport read 3 inches overnight. I thought it would all be groomed in, but it was over the groom. classic big mtn fog up at the summit and slowly moves down during the day. funky snow with the scraped off groom marbles mixed with the new snow. for some reason ed's run was really bumpy like they didn't groom it so avoided it. carving thru the good size push piles, just get the board on edge and slice thru the bumps. it got bumpy and it was challenging and fun cause at least the edge would hold. started to snow as the lifts started to spin. not really dumping, but a good light and steady snow all morning. today was fun and rode hard and made some good turns... more snow in the forecast for the next few days... we really need it...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: thu feb 17, 2022
howdy alI

I think I missed a good day yesterday, it was nice and sunny with second day groom of some new snow. today nice morning with some thick clouds near the summit and slowly pushes its way down. groom was really good and held a good edge. today was fun and really pushed it hard and made some really nice turns. met up with Mario and rode a bunch in the morning on chair 2 then after he left I did some runs down the front and every run the thick fog got lower. wanted to stay longer cause the snow was good, but the thick fog was really bad. I fell a couple times cause I could not see the terrain before me, good thing I was going slow and feeling my way down... today was super fun cause the snow was grippy good...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: fri feb 18, 2022
howdy alI

cloudy on the summit in the morning and looked thick. chair 2 was groomed good and a bit icy, but carved good. temps was warm and when the sun came out for about 45 minutes it softened the snow and the top layer started to get wet and breaking down. then it gets cloudy again and the snow firms up a little and gets kinda stiff. again me and Mario making laps on ed's cause chair 1 was busy and the summit was cloudy. after Mario left I dropped down to chair 8 from chair 2 and could not see the summit from the top of chair 8, but just below was clear. went back to 2 cause toni was busy. today carved good and rode hard and wanted to stay longer, but got tired and called it early... forecast is windy Saturday night then snow on Sunday then really cold next week with minus temps at night and teens during the day...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: mon feb 21, 2022
howdy alI

was kinda excited and went early cause it dumped hard from noon yesterday till about 9pm last night. It was piling up fast and shoveled about a foot in town. the wind was also blowing hard and the temps was getting colder. so got to the hill and it was super windy and cold and I was the first person at chair 2. it was crazy to be up there, everyone thought it was going to be an awesome powder day, but the super high winds blew the snow off the hill. so just as the chair was to open the lifty says it will be a hour delay cause the chairs was swinging too much and wait for conditions to get  better. temps was near zero at the base and I am glad they delayed it. so went down chair 6 then did chair 10 then went home. the groom was icy hard and dry pulverized wind drift snow on top, it was horrible. today is normally the busiest day of the season and it was and families were out in the super cold. I left at 9:45am and there was traffic as many people/employees were leaving. all the upper chairs were closed due to the high winds. forecast is colder temps and windy the next couple days...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 9:30...

here is the big's snow report...

As reported on (February 21st, 2022)

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 0"/0cm
Settled Base: 89"/227cm
Total to Date: 175"/445cm
6am Temp: -11°F/-24°C

24hr Snow: 2"/6cm
7 Day Snow: 10"/26cm
Current Conditions: Blowing Snow
Visibility/Wind: OK/NE at 19mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 5"/13cm
Village Settled: 32"/82cm
Total to Date: 112"/285cm
6am Temp: 5°F/-15°C

7 Day Snow: 12"/31cm
Current Conditions: Snow
Visibility/Wind: Good/10mph

Deep thoughts by Pat*:

1 p.m. update:

We skied some lower-mountain runs. Was it worth it? It was fun for a couple of runs, but even the top of Chair 2 had a bitter and cutting cold wind. The snow alternated between windblown snow and a windblown scour. The forecast looks similar tomorrow, but we will see what it's like in the morning and give it another go. In the meantime, warm up and stoke that inner ski fire!

11:25 a.m. update: 

Chairs 2 and 3 are now open!

10:25 a.m. update:

Chair 1 and all upper-mountain chairs will not open today due to high winds, low temps and a forecast showing those concerns will remain throughout the day. We continue to assess Chairs 2 and 3 and those remain closed for the time being. Chairs 6, 9 and 10 and the magic carpet remain open.

9:25 a.m. update:

Chairs 6, 9 and 10 and the magic carpet are open. All other lifts are on hold due to high winds and low temps. We will reassess every hour and keep this report updated throughout the day.

8 a.m. update:

The upper mountain will have delayed openings today, including Chair 1. Lower-mountain Chairs 2, 3, 6, 9 and 10 and the magic carpet tentatively will open, depending on the wind and the weather.

Here is a link to our summit weather station. Gusts over 30 mph from the north are requiring chairs to stop and/or run slowly. Even in the village trees are waving in the wind and it is cold.

6 a.m. report:

There are 5 inches on the village snow stake and 2 inches on the exposed summit stake. A 20-plus mph north wind is huffing and puffing and blowing snow. It's like we're in a snow globe and someone knocked us off the table and we're rolling down the stairs! Expected highs are near -2 up top and 6 degrees down low. A windchill advisory is in effect today. Windchills are in the -30s and Chair 1 will be a cold ride. To sum it up, there is new snow and challenging weather.

Primary conditions are powder and machine-groomed snow. Use caution! Watch for widespread wind drifts, cold temps and frostbite (cover up exposed skin and go inside to warm up). Thirteen lifts will be open. That's right. We are running all of our Sunday lifts, on a Monday! Chairs 5 and 8 may be delayed for avy work. Respect the rope and only enter through open gates. Nearly 50 lifties will be out bumping every chair, checking every ticket and delivering the goods to the people! Thank you! While we are out there, be like the snowshoe hare: Leave only tracks in the snow and no other trace. Respect the mountain, ski and board safely, and have fun in the deep white.

snowreport: tue feb 22, 2022
howdy alI

today is my ride day, but did not due to high winds and frigid temps... sunny blue skies...

As reported on (February 22nd, 2022)

Settled Base: 89"/227cm
Total to Date: 175"/445cm
6am Temp: -19°F/-28°C

24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
7 Day Snow: 7"/18cm
Current Conditions: Clear, Cold and Windy
Visibility/Wind: Good/NE at 13mph

Village Settled: 31"/79cm
Total to Date: 112"/285cm
6am Temp: -3°F/-19°C

7 Day Snow: 9"/23cm
Current Conditions: Clear, Cold and Windy
Visibility/Wind: Good/16mph

Deep thoughts by Pat*:

11 a.m. update: 

A quick ski update from the top of Chair 2! The sun feels good, but that wind is slicing and cold. The snow is primarily hardpack at this point, with occasional nice turns in wind-drift deposits. All weekday lower-mountain lifts are turning. Covering up all exposed skin is necessary.

8:15 a.m. update: 

Lower-mountain chairs only today. Chairs 2, 3, 6 and 9 and the magic carpet are scheduled to run. The summit will not open today.

6 a.m. report:

There is a no way to sugarcoat today's weather conditions. It's cold and windy, but here it goes. The first stop this morning is this link to our summit weather station. It is -19 degrees at the summit with a 20-30 mph north wind. Windchills are in the -40s. There is certainly a chance that lifts will be delayed opening this morning. Mountain staff will be constantly evaluating the conditions. We will have a better idea about what is running between 8 and 9 a.m. and will update this report.

Snow conditions are wind-affected snow and machine-groomed trails. The front side alternated between a nice couple turns on windblown snow, then a couple tough turns on wind scour. All it takes is that one good turn! Forecast calls for sunshine and cold, and a high near -5 up top with a persistent wind. A windchill warning is in effect all day. Be sure to cover up all exposed skin and go inside before it starts to hurt. We are in a holding pattern for another day or so, waiting for this wind to swing around or breakdown. Keep stoking that inner ski fire. We'll see you right back here at the snow report!

snowreport: fri feb 25, 2022
howdy alI

cloudy near the summit and lightly snowing all morning. icy crunchy groom with a little snow on top. the new snow was really lite and fluffy cause it was a little chilly. as the lite snow kept piling up and skied in it got better as it meshed with the crunchy groom. took my time this morning and got on snow just before 10am and stayed mostly on chair 2 and did a couple runs to the summit. it was fun so had lunch and was going to quit at 2:30pm, but felt strong and had so much fun then ended my day at 3:30pm. did not know what to expect after this weeks brutal cold so brought the trusty old factory prime and had a blast. tomorrow should be good, but working the weekend. forecast for next week is above normal temps with rain in the valley and snow on the hill every day... 

rode the 157fp from 10 till 3:30...

snowreport: mon feb 28, 2022
howdy alI

ugly! raining in the morning in town and puddles everywhere. kinda of a light sprinkle, but it started early in the morning and it kept going all day. got on snow and got ready and chair 2 opened and did one run then waited on chair 1. ed's was groomed with three inches of untracked heavy cream, it was slow going so flew down with a few turns and decided to wait on chair 1. chair 1 was delayed a half hour so it opened about 10am. wet, humid, foggy on the summit and my goggles get rimy and it is hard to see where I am going. first run on a powder day is always toni matt where the benny up trail is. a good five plus inches over groom of thick heavy cream and when you go over someone's track you really get bumped around. I moved my binding around last night and felt awkward on the softies, my stance felt too close together, still made some good turns on untracked pow, made two runs and called it. the tracked up stuff was hard to go thru and felt like I could get hurt really easy so called it early... forecast is more rain/snow the next few days... this melt down is not good, town was a soggy mess when I got back...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 11...

snowreport: wed mar 02, 2022
howdy alI

well, at least it was not raining so went up. foggy in town and looked at the webcam and it looked clear up there with clouds at the summit. did not know what to expect after yesterdays rain so brought the small softboot and took it easy and checked out the conditions. a good dusting on the top of chair 2 and ed's was groomed pretty good. the new dusting of snow was soft and smooth early, but by 11am it was sticky. did a few runs on the backside and there was some good few inches of nice soft pow. oh yeah, so got to chair 2 and I was the only person for about five minutes then a young kid shows up and starts to chat, he was a nice young chatty kid about 10/12 years old, he was with his dad and a friend. we seemed to be going to the same runs and had many lift rides together even on the backside. he was a nice friendly kid and he made my day. today wasn't the best conditions, but after ed's got skied off and the warm temps put some moisture in the snow ed's looked doable for the carving boards... forecast is more rain tomorrow...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: fri mar 04, 2022
howdy alI

did not go up yesterday cause it was raining pretty good in town and most of the day. the big reported it was raining in the village and only snowed on the summit. so it was an easy decision to stay home. it was not raining this morning and kinda knew what to expect. concrete and not really hard ice, but super firm with a dusting of new on top and easy to slide on, but can't dig in and hold an edge. did one run on ed's and waited for chair 1 to open and went to the backside. the backside was a little softer, but still not good so sliding around for a few runs then went to the baselodge and sat down for a half hour and was going to wait for things to soften up cause it was pretty warm. did a few more runs and called it. as I got into town the sun came out and shining on the big, maybe I should have waited a little longer...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: mon mar 07, 2022
howdy alI

the weekend was nice sunny days with warm temps and today just a bit cooler. groom was good, but icy and is starting to get corny. there was a lite dusting last night and mixed with the breaking down snow made it kinda good. so the scraped off snow was like sand and barely held an edge, some places were better than others. the groom was buffed out smooth so it was fun and made some really good turns. today was super fun and things are looking better. forecast is snow tonight and colder temps the next few days... it is very early Tuesday morning as I am writing this and last night dumped seven inches on the storm cam...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2:30...

snowreport: tue mar 08, 2022
howdy alI

the big reported nine inches overnight, but it was another really windy winter storm and the snow was pulverized and dense and blown around. the exposed groom was solid rock and wind blown snow on top with some areas more than others. the wind protected areas was good and deep and I had a good hellfire run. on my first run on ed's it looked really nice and was groomed good wall to wall, but it was very firm with little new snow on top so waited on chair 1. it was a very chilly chair ride up to the summit with the wind coming from the north. my first ride down the front was ptarmigan bowl as it was wind loaded snow with not so bumpy underneath. went off groom and it was not a good idea cause the old bumps was icy hard and the wind filled pockets looked tempting. today was challenging snow conditions and there was some good stuff mixed with some bad... today was fun and cold...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: wed mar 09, 2022
howdy alI

this morning a little high clouds, but mostly sunny and on the colder side. not very busy cause the big reported minus five degrees at the summit with a good wind. kinda knew it would be good or it could be solid ice, but today it was really good. groomers was buffed out smooth and grippy good. today was the kind of day I dream about, lite crowds and good groom. rode hard and made many good turns. stayed mostly on chair 2 cause it was cold and when chair 1 opens chair 2 empties out. the groom was lightly skied off and stayed good all day. I did not think we could have a good day after all the warm temps, but forecast is a warm up by the weekend. I hope the artic air makes another push by the end of the season... today was the "best day ever"... tomorrow should be good...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 3:30...

snowreport: thu mar 10, 2022
howdy alI

super high overcast that soon clears with blue skies. it was cold in the morning then got warmer in the afternoon sun. groom was good and smooth and carved the easy pitch and paced myself cause I knew I would stay all day. rode the all mountain and let it fly on the easy pitch. today was really fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3:30...

snowreport: fri mar 11, 2022
howdy alI

another super high thin overcast that slowly gets a little thicker and by 1:30pm some snow slowly moves in. another kinda good groomer day with scraped off icy snow like sand and a little crumbly. again just doing the easy pitch and let the board fly. the super high thin overcast kept the snow good and consistent so stayed good all day. the snow is getting a little chewed up old, but more is in the forecast. forecast is calling for much warmer temps this weekend with rain/snow and same next week, will see what happens. brought the big board today and thought I would not have as much fun, but it turns tight like the small boards so it was fun... oh yeah, got a mention from the big's snow report...

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 3:30...

As reported on (March 11th, 2022)

Settled Base: 110"/280cm
Total to Date: 220"/559cm
6am Temp: 8°F/-13°C

7 Day Snow: 10"/26cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Good/SW at 11mph

Village Settled: 32"/82cm
Total to Date: 127"/323cm
6am Temp: 16°F/-9°C

7 Day Snow: 3"/8cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Good/10mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

10 a.m. update:

We're seeing some sunshine this morning with a thin hazy overcast above. Views of Glacier are open, and it's as beautiful and gnarly as ever! Temperatures have not climbed much and it's still pretty brisk on the summit.

We're carving up perfect corduroy today. Come get your piece!

6 a.m. report:

Good morning and happy Friday! The name of the game today will be phenomenal groomed runs and continued variability off-piste. There's everything from sun crust, hardpack, packed powder and still some fresh stashes from this week's new snow. Artists were drawing out perfect arcs on the corduroy yesterday — that hard lean-over is a perfect combo of finesse and power.

We have warmer temperatures this morning and mostly cloudy skies, but good visibility all the way up to the top so far (see our webcams page). The forecast calls for cloudy skies, a high of 24 on the upper mountain and light to moderate winds. Looking forward, the forecast shows a chance of snow tonight, cloudy skies for Saturday and then a system moving in Saturday night into Sunday.

We're still looking for volunteers for this year's Nate Chute banked slalom and boardercross races next weekend. Volunteers get a free lift ticket for themselves or a buddy, are entered into the event raffle, and get that street cred you've been looking for! Check out this link to register.

Have a great day and we will see you on the mountain!

• Like 1

snowreport: mon mar 14, 2022
howdy alI

ugly! classic big mtn fog from above chair 2 on up. got a late start after yesterday time shift (spring forward) and it rain/snowed all day sunday. got on snow just before 11am and it was already kinda bumpy.  thought it was going to be icy hard, but it was worst, firm with some new, but harsh and bumpy and slow grabby bouncy mess, not really carving just rattling around. I was thinking of bringing the softboots, but brought the fp. I would have gone home early on the softboots and good thing I brought the fp cause I stayed all day. tried to make lemonade out of a lemon kind of day. today was challenging and really hard on the body, still it was fun...

rode the 157fp from 11 till 3:30...

snowreport: wed mar 16, 2022
howdy alI

stayed home yesterday cause it was super humid and looked like it could rain at any moment. today went a little later and went to the backside and there was a little new over groom and it was nice and soft. cruised around and made some good turns. found some good powder here and there. again, wasn't the best conditions with the classic big mtn fog. huge puffy clouds rolling thru with some sun. went to lunch about 1:30pm and the sun was out and when I got back on snow it was softening up and getting fun, but soon the clouds came back with a little wind and the snow started to firm up. today was nice and dry...

snowreport: thu mar 17, 2022
howdy alI

a beautiful morning with blue skies and firm groom down low, but it was really good groom up high and the backside was really good carving snow. today was really fun and made some good turns. half way down the hill it starts to get firm and at the very bottom near chair 1 it was polished ice. wanted to stay all day, but had to leave early. the sun was out and probably got slushy with a good window as it softens. tomorrow should be firm in the morning and hope it gets soft. next week thursday forecast is 57 degrees...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: fri mar 18, 2022
howdy alI

woke up to grey skies and it looked like it could rain/snow at any moment. took my time and went a little later. got on hill just after 10am and it started to lightly snow and there was a dusting over icy firm groom on the lower front side. the back side had an inch plus over groom and it was kinda heavy, but soft enough to carve thru. the new snow on the back side made it carve pretty good and held a good edge and carved smooth. snowed plenty in the morning then slowed in the noon time then the fog pushed lower. forced myself to go up and wasn't really feeling it so called it early. still, made some good turns and had fun...

rode the 157fp from 10 till 12:30...

snowreport: sun mar 20, 2022
howdy alI

my first weekend sunday, but need to work Tuesday and Wednesday, oh well the warm up is coming. this morning looking at the big with blue skies to the north and looking south with dark grey skies and just starts to snow. it was snowing and windy as I left the house. as I got to the baselodge it looked like it was going to be a nice day, but soon gets grey and windy and starts to lightly snow. did one run on icy ed's then went to the backside. it was busy with the nate chute race on goat haunt. made a few good turns so it was fun. found some good spots in the back on chair 11 and 5. not as busy as I imagined a sunday to be. today was cold and windy with a little bite...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: mon mar 21, 2022
howdy alI

high grey overcast just above the big. went a little late and got on snow about 10am. skipped chair 2 and went straight to the backside. the backside had perfect carving snow for the factory prime. made many good tight turns and had a lot of fun. the frontside was good on the top half and the bottom was too icy firm. it was lightly snowing all morning and the snow would stick to your goggles, but was easy to wipe off near the bottom and it was just cold enough so it was not rain. forecast is a warm up the next few days so maybe the spring slush returns...

rode the 157fp from 10 till 3...

snowreport: thu mar 24, 2022
howdy alI

took my time this morning cause I knew it would be frozen ice. there was a big puffy cloud just above the big and the early morning sun made it a nice orange with blue skies all around. big puffy clouds rolled thru all morning, but mostly sunny and it was warm and the snow starts to get soft about noon. just as the snow starts to get soft it is nice and smooth for a few runs then slowly it gets soft to slushy. made some good turns and it was fun. met up with johnasmo and dredman later in the day and did a couple runs. it is spring skiing from now on as forecast is warm temps all week. as I got into town it was mostly sunny so tomorrow should be horrible icy groomers in the morning...