Note to New Members ×

WTF 2022 Jan 13- 29

snowreport: fri mar 25, 2022
howdy alI

super high overcast and you could see the park's peaks and all around. the overcast slowed the thaw a little bit and it wasn't the deep slush till much later when the sun came out about 2pm. wasn't feeling it, but made a day of it and by the very end I was getting into it. today my body felt tired so took it easy and cruised around and made a few good turns. work the next three days and sunday should be really warm so hope when I get back on snow it is still good... fun spring skiing...

rode the 165amt from 11 till 3:30...

snowreport: tue mar 29, 2022
howdy alI

beautiful blue sky warm sunny morning with a little north wind that kept it nice and cool. again went a little later and it was getting soft down low and just starts to get soft at the top of chair 2. so stay low then slowly move higher as the snow gets softer up higher. was tired today and tried to take it easy, but the soft snow is hard work, made some good turns so it was fun. after not riding for three warm days I could see that we are losing snow fast. forecast is slightly cooler next week with a little rain/snow. we will just make it to the end of the season...

rode the 157fp from 11 till 3:30...

snowreport: wed mar 30, 2022
howdy alI

it was a beautiful blue sky morning as I got to the mountain, but soon a dark cloud from the west comes and covers the valley. got on snow about 11:30am and it was just getting soft, but the cloud cover kept it from getting slushy. so a little firm and bumpy and hard on the legs and body so made for a short day... forced myself to go up and wasn't feeling it. conditions are really bad and will stay home tomorrow...

rode the 157fp from 11:30 till 2...

snowreport: fri apr 01, 2022
howdy alI

kinda of a nice morning that soon gets cloudy and a little windy and a little chilly. went up later and got on snow about 11:30am and did a backside run then got a liftie latte at the summit house and hung out near the front door and waited for my niece and nephews to show up. there was almost two inches of new snow and most was groomed in so it was pretty good. it was fun riding and cruising around with the family... the lower mountain was dry and the snow was breaking down like sand by the end of the day...

rode the 157fp from 11:30 till 3:30...

snowreport: tue apr 05, 2022
howdy alI

after three days of not going up I did not know what to expect. Saturday snowed all day in town and sunday was a nice day with super high clouds and must have been really good and Monday was super foggy all day. woke up to a dusting here it town so went up early. did a couple on chair 2 and the top was good, but the bottom was a bit icy so went to the backside and it was good groomers, but the off groom looked really good so did a few down the lift into black bear and it was bottomless powder. lightly snow all morning, but about 10:30am to 11:30am it was dumping hard with a strong wind. the wind was blowing hard all day from the west and it was picking up snow and moving it around. did the face next to chair 1 and it was good dense snow and the icy bumps was kinda soft so it was not too bad so I did a bunch of runs down there and under chair 1 to the bench and was able to carve the Hollywood section on toni matt under the lift.  today there was hardly anyone around so felt safe and rode strong and had a lot of fun lapping chair 1. it was chilly in the morning, but later was not too bad even with the strong winds. today was a bonus wintery snowy windy day that I thought I would never see till next season... "best day ever"... super fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed apr 06, 2022
howdy alI

just missed the later snowbus so got a late start and got on snow about 10am. a nice morning and clouds just above the big. groom was good with yesterdays new snow, the top was better and the bottom a bit icy, but still carvable. did a couple on ed's then lapped toni matt and rode strong all day and was pooped by 2pm. the sun came out about 1:30pm and the snow quickly got soft and it was hard to carve thru it. did a cruiser run on the backside and it was pretty good, then did a few on ed's and it was pretty slushy, but fun, but by 3pm I was done and called it. today was pretty good for this late in the season and rode strong and made many good turns. today was super fun...

rode the 168vsr from 10 till 3...

snowreport: thu apr 07, 2022
howdy alI

wow! what a fun day. beautiful blue sky all morning and a little chilly, but soon temps get comfy. groomers was icy, but could still hold an edge. rode with Mario in the morning and did a bunch of laps on hellroaring first as it faced the morning sun and got soft and smooth. we saw angry rick and I rode a couple laps with him then he went home. went to chair 1 about noon and did a bunch of laps on Aaron's run and ran into johnasmo and we did a big ravine run and down the front. snow was good and slowly got soft so it was good all day. the light clouds came in about 2pm and kept the snow from getting too soft. another epic day and rode strong and can't believe the season is coming to an end. I feel like I am just getting started and got my mojo back. the light crowds take the fear factor out my head and I can enjoy myself... another super fun day...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 3:30...

• Like 1

snowreport: fri apr 08, 2022
howdy all

forecast for today was 65 degrees in town. a nice morning with some high thin clouds, but mostly sunny. I was worried that it would be a really slushy day. took my time and got on snow about 11am. took an early break cause I was tired from yesterday. the clouds started to slowly build when I went in and by the time I got back out it was dark clouds and looked like it could rain/snow. lighting got flat and the snow was getting slightly firmer and sticky in spots. I just needed a few runs to make it to a million vertical feet so that was my goal. so with the chance of rain and the flat light and the sticky snow it said it was time to go, plus people were bombing toni matt getting their last licks in... nice easy day...

rode the 165amt from 11 till 1:30...

snowreport: sun apr 10, 2022
howdy all

last day at the big, UNBELIEVEABLE ! … about five inches of good quality snow over groom on the first run on ed's and it was dumping hard all day. there was a few minutes when the snow stopped, but otherwise it was dumping HARD all day, bell to bell. truly the best day of the whole season. met my nephew first thing in the morning and we did ed's first then toni matt then he went on his own, but we met up for the third chair ride up then he went on his own. foggy on top and moving around fast, but mostly it was good vis. every where was good so everyone was spread out in their own stashes. I did a bunch down the front then went to the backside to take it easy, the backside snow was a little lighter. did a bunch more down the front and by the end of the day chair 1 was kinda busy, but not really and chair 2 there was no lift line wait so the last hour and a half I just lapped chair 2. I was debating what to ride this morning, hard or soft boots and went with the hardboots cause it is more comfy and I know I can ride it all day without killing my feet. made a good choice and rode the all mountain. today should have been two months ago, but hey we'll take it, it was a blessing and made up for a kinda sucky snow year. not the best snow year as it was harsh wet packed snow most of the time. today is day 54 for me and vert stats to come... EPIC POW DAY !!! ...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sun apr 10, 2022
howdy all

54 days, 1,044,048 vertical feet and ranked 112 … photo from WTF2014 ...

post-2158-141842414598.jpg

here is the last day snow report … 

As reported on (April 10th, 2022)
Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)
Overnight Snow: 4"/11cm
Settled Base: 115"/293cm
Total to Date: 253"/643cm
6am Temp: 15°F/-9°C 
24hr Snow: 8"/21cm
7 Day Snow: 13"/34cm
Current Conditions: Snow
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/NW at 2mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)
24hr Snow: 3"/8cm
Village Settled: 25"/64cm
Total to Date: 140"/356cm
6am Temp: 28°F/-2°C 
7 Day Snow: 5"/13cm
Current Conditions: Snowing
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/3mph 

Deep thoughts by Pat*:
10:10 a.m: 
It is 14 degrees at the summit with a 10 mph ssw breeze. There are some hanging patches of clouds, but mostly it’s just snowing really hard. The quiet snow is gliding over the tips of our skis and boards. And with enough inertia, we float! All scheduled lifts and terrain are open. A sincere G’day to you as we ski off into the snowy sunset. 
-pat
6 a.m. report:
All aboard to the mountain, to ski and to soar. It's a celebration! Closing day is in store. 
Intense snowfall is setting the scene. In the past 24 hours we have received 8 inches of new at the summit and 3 in the village. We are expecting snow most of the day, — whoop, whoop! — with high temps around 25 degrees at the summit. Visibility is patchy and wind is decreasing to about 10 mph.
Primary snow conditions are spring powder and machine-groomed trails. Riff on pockets of powder and slices of soft corduroy. There will be acceleration and accumulation. We love this sport, the whole ski situation. Ski safe, do not litter and do not enter closed areas. Eight springtime lifts will be doing the honors. Chair 5 may be delayed. Thank you to the mountain family for a job well done. For one last time, here we go. Since '47 we've done this, so let's put on a show.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

snowreport: mon jun 20, 2022
howdy all

it rained all day monday and tuesday (june 13,14) and a little chilly with snow on the hill top to bottom. wednesday it looked doable top to bottom and with summer lift service started on the 11th, i was thinking of going up and pulled my rock board out and got my gear out and got ready to go up thursday, but chickened out at the last minute on thursday cause i was thinking they would not let me on the lift with a board. thursday got warm and the snow looked good in the morning, but by the afternoon the lower mountain lost most of the snow and by friday it really warmed up and the snow was gone. paddled friday on the river to the lake and the river here is at an all time high. further south in yellowstone there was major flooding and a lot of damage. it has been a much cooler and rainy spring so not much fun...