Note to New Members ×

WTF 2022 Jan 13- 29

snowreport: sat dec 25, 2021
howdy alI

a merry Christmas morning that was nice early then soon gets foggy. crumbly snow, but carved good early then gets bumpy and firm. lapping ed's all morning and gets good after everyone goes to chair 1. did a few runs with johnasmo and his softboot family.  also did a toni matt run just before noon and it was really foggy so back to ed's. made some really good turns for my first day on hardboots. did not ride last week due to catching the crud, but feeling better today. the big is looking better, but there is still things that need to be covered up. forecast is single digit highs and minus degree lows...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: mon dec 27, 2021
howdy alI

burrrrr… it is getting colder with a little artic air pushing down from the north. snow is getting drier, but still not good grooming with many dips and rollers thru out ed's run. patches of firm ice mixed with good snow and small push piles from a lite dusting of new snow. rode the 168 incline on the easy pitch and made some good turns thru the small bumps. I was not confident on the main run with flat light and all kinds of bumps and uneven grooming. today was cold and as I go up the lift i'm thinking I should go in and warm up, but as I get to the bottom I warm up and go up the lift again and beat myself up with the cold. only did one run up to the summit cause it was cold and the lighting was flat and I kinda was going to fast in one section and almost lost control. it was fun doing the soft carve on the softies...

rode the 168inc from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: tue dec 28, 2021
howdy alI

still on the cold side and not much fun. I put the bts on my back foot, but did not loosen the ankle pivots so it was not traveling up and down and was getting shin bang. had a hard time today, but I did ride a couple days ago and rode fine. groomers are getting better, but still not the best. the cold artic blast is drying out the snow. I did not go up to the summit cause it is cold and it looked foggy. chair 1 was not busy after everyone spreads out. took a break and decided to call it. was not feeling it... forecast is even colder, minus degrees summit temps and wind chill...

rode the 157fp from 9:30 till 11:30...

snowreport: wed dec 29, 2021
howdy alI

read the big's snow report and it said summit temps was minus 12 and village temps minus 1 so back to sleep. got up and it was a nice sunny morning and had to go up. got ready in a hurry and out the door and did a mental check of my gear and forgot my gloves. so missed the snowbus and caught the next one. got ready and got in line and tried to clip in, but did not adjust my binding to my n.o.s. boots. finally got on snow about 1:30pm and the groomers still looked pretty good. ed's run is looking better, but still a little bumpy. i am enjoying the not so steep sections and rip the easy pitch. as i got on snow it was not too cold, but as the clouds build the temps got colder. kinda firm snow that gets lightly skied off so stays good all day. i am glad i went up cause i could have easily stayed home...

rode the 165amt from 1:30 till 3:30...

snowreport: fri dec 31, 2021
howdy alI

did not ride today, had to work, but did not due to sore foot from wednesday I tweaked my right foot and top of arch got a little inflamed... the big closed chair 1 due to minus degree wind chills...

here is the big's snow report...

As reported on (December 31st, 2021)

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 1"/3cm
Settled Base: 65"/166cm
Total to Date: 114"/290cm
6am Temp: -11°F/-24°C

24hr Snow: 1"/3cm
7 Day Snow: 17"/44cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/NW at 5mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 1"/3cm
Village Settled: 22"/56cm
Total to Date: 63"/161cm
6am Temp: 2°F/-17°C

7 Day Snow: 11"/28cm
Current Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Good/3mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

2:20 p.m. update:

Chair 4 is now open!

1:50 p.m. update:

Night skiing is a go. After 4 p.m. today, you'll be able to shred the slopes under Chair 2 as usual. Layer up and remember to cover your face! 

1 p.m. update:

Chair 8 is now open in the Hellroaring Basin, accessible via Lacy Lane. Due to continued extreme temperatures and windchill on the upper mountain, Chair 1 will remain closed for the rest of the day, meaning no access to the summit. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for bearing with us! We will have an update on night skiing later this afternoon.

10:30 a.m. update:

Chair 1 and the upper mountain (which includes Chair 8/Hellroaing Basin) remains on delay due to extreme wind chill. Thanks for everyone's patience this morning. It's currently -13 degrees with a -35 windchill on the summit. That north wind and high humidity are creating arctic conditions out here today! Be sure to cover up all exposed skin, and head inside to warm up when needed.

All that aside, the sun is shining and it is absolutely beautiful out today.

8:35 a.m. update:

Chair 1 will be delayed this morning due to the extreme wind chill (currently -33 degrees on the summit). Mountain operations will continue to assess as the morning progresses. 

6 a.m. report:

Happy New Year's Eve! A bit of new snow from yesterday will be keeping runs fresh today. Expect tracked powder off-piste and good corduroy on groomers. We're going to close out 2021 with one more day of very cold temperatures (upper mountain: high of -4, windchill -28.) However, the forecast calls for sky cover to gradually clear as the day progresses, which could make for an epic evening of night skiing and fireworks up here on the mountain. The Torchlight Parade will start at roughly 5:30 p.m. under Chair 2 outside Ed & Mully's, and fireworks will start soon afterward. Have a great day on the hill, and cheers to the new year!

Keep in mind the S.N.O.W. Bus runs all the way to 11 p.m, and is a great way to get from town to the mountain, and vice versa. For more info and to see the route schedule, check out our S.N.O.W. Bus page.

For live visibility conditions across the mountain, check out our webcams page. Find hourly weather and temperature data here: Summit Weather Station.

• 2 weeks later...

howdy cuban

Saturday and Sunday and Wednesday,  wanted to work only weekends this ski season, but not enough people to work. I will try to take a weekend off, they know about my carve week. I have been m.i.a. due to my foot issues. tweaked the top of my left foot with my n.o.s. boot, then had to shovel snow and favored my right foot so injured it this past week. my left foot is much better and the right foot is still buggy. I will try for Thursday or Friday for sure. it will be nice to see you and the boys again. see you soon... temps are going to be nice and comfy and a little on the warm side...

snowreport: fri jan 14, 2022
howdy alI

overcast just over the big and slowly fog builds and gets lower by noon. icy crunchy groomers on ed's run and gets scraps off into big marbles. up high was better so did the back side, but it was kinda harsh snow. Cuban and me made a bunch of runs on chair 7 to warm up the legs. the warm weather is here and is slowly breaking down into the freeze/thaw cycle. forecast is warm temps all week. not the best conditions for the first day of WTF2022. it was nice to see and ride with Cuban again. hope to ride with shred and gunslinger65... work this weekend so will ride on Monday... today was my first day back after two weeks of the flu and foot issues...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: mon jan 17, 2022
howdy alI

mostly sunny morning with good grooming. warm at the bottom and cool on top. Cuban and me then later with johnasmo and an appearance by shred on softboots. sorry to hear about gunslinger65, I was hoping to ride with you on the softies. today the snow was better than I thought with the warm temps this past few days. Cuban and I took a break then did a hellfire run to check out chair 8. it was weird with the new scenery. it could be a good loop to get to toni matt from chair 2 when chair 1 is busy, just need to make sure the west bowl is open. today was fun and made some good turns... as I got back into town a dark cloud was over the big and it looked like rain/snow for a little while. the bottom was 31 degrees when I left at 2pm...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue jan 18, 2022
howdy alI

classic thick big mtn fog from top of chair 2 and up. lapping ed's run with Cuban, dredman, johnasmo and me. the groomers are breaking down into a wet firm harsh mess. it is warm and humid and forecast is more of the same all week. Cuban and me went to the summit, but it was so foggy and the groom had an icy crust so back to chair 2. Cuban, dredman and me went to lunch and I called it. thanks Cuban for lunch... today wasn't the best snow conditions, but it was fun to hang out with the boys... a helicopter has been circling town for over an hour from 10:15pm as if it is searching for someone...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu jan 20, 2022
howdy alI

I guess the snow started about 5am and by the time I left the house there was a least an inch plus and it kept snowing good all morning. by the time I got on snow there was two plus inches of good density snow. met Cuban first thing in the morning and we did a couple runs on chair 2 then did toni matt on chair 1. the first couple runs on toni was good with some untracked then the heavy snow push piles gets bumpy and it gets tough on the legs. Cuban called it early and I did a couple more and called it early too. tomorrow should be soft groomers, this new snow should help refresh the harsh icy groomers...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: fri jan 21, 2022
howdy alI

comfy temps, but not good as yesterdays pow got groomed down with soft wet snow that gets packed firm yet still soft and digs in and gets packs down firm harsh. just sliding around and carve when it looks good. Cuban and me cruising around and exploring. not the best day with conditions and the crowds, it got busy. the sun tried to come out, but it was high overcast just over the summit and vis was good... forecast is warm weather all week with no snow... got home had lunch and took a nap and woke up with the cough... again...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: thu jan 27, 2022
howdy alI

classic big mtn fog from top of chair 2 on up. snow was better than I thought after not riding for 5 days cause had to work and took a few days off cause got the cough again. felt really good today and rode strong. the groomers was a bit icy in the morning than got better as the day progressed. did not know what to expect so brought the trusty old factory prime. it has not snowed for a week and groomers are buffed out smooth. today wasn't busy so took the fear out of my head and rode hard. today was fun, just flip the board and let it do it's thing. the fog slowly drops down and the summit gets some sunshine. run thru the fog and carve when vis is good. rode with Cuban all morning then did a few runs with johnasmo as I ended my day...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2:30...

snowreport: fri jan 28, 2022
howdy alI

a dark grey morning and looking at the big from town it did not look good. the fog was down low as I got to the mountain and thought it was going to be a short day. angry rick was on the snowbus, but he stayed on and went home. within a half hour as I was getting ready and the lifts start to spin the fog clears with blue skies. the groom was nice and buffed out and really grippy good. brought the 176vsr and had a hard time cause I have not ridden it for over a year. Cuban wanted to go to chair 1 and follow the crowd and I stayed on chair 2 as it empties out. people were flying with the smooth buffed out groom and I don't feel safe making turns. ed's was pretty empty and I felt safer and had fun getting that big board to turn tight. went up to the summit a couple times looking for Cuban and went down toni matt and people just flying down. wanted to have lunch with Cuban cause it is his last day, but did not find him, oh well see you next year... today was fun and grooming was good with blue skies... 

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 2...

snowreport: mon jan 31, 2022
howdy alI

could hardly see the mountain from town cause it was snowing so much. couple inches of good dense snow and dumping hard all morning. push piles was small early then gets bigger as the day progressed. rode a new to me 160 donek incline and it is a fun ride. stayed on ed's for a couple hours cause after chair 1 opens ed's was wide open. tried to carve it on the flat spots and it took awhile to figure it out. made some good turns and had fun. cruised around the front and see what the board can handle. it is similar dimensions as my factory prime only a bit wider so it is fun. today was fun with the much needed new snow... good softies fun...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: tue feb 01, 2022
howdy alI

same as yesterday with the snow all morning. today a little lighter with the colder temps. started the morning with not much snow over groom, but it dumped hard and every run you could tell it was piling up. it was good carving early then push piles gets bigger. again carving the flatter spots and slarving on the push piles on the steeper sections. today was fun and it was a good powder day and there was some really deep pow with yesterdays snow. today was fun and getting used to the donek incline. softboot fun...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu feb 03, 2022
howdy alI

high overcast just above the big and vis was kinda good. groomers was good early, but got crumbly and chewed up bumpy by noon. some spots held up better and carved good. so my foot issues was from my diet and it is getting better and rode strong today. today was not busy in the morning cause of the cold temps so rode with no fear and made some really good turns. was having fun so had lunch and went back out, but the fog got lower so made a few more runs on ed's, by then the snow was icy crumbly and did not hold the edge well so called it. today was fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri feb 04, 2022
howdy alI

classic big mtn fog from top of chair 2 on up and pretty thick up high. snow was good with a little moisture in it from the warm temps. met up with some boys from mcc on their way home, those boys rip some nice turns. as they took a break about noon I broke my heel and called it. sorry I did not get to say good bye... today was good groomers and a lot of fun showing them around...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12:30...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: mon feb 07, 2022
howdy alI

a nice blue sky morning with warm temps and groomers was good, but a little dry and crumbly from cool overnight temps. groomers got better as the sun and warm temps put some moisture in the snow to hold it together. I only stayed for two and a half hours in the morning and it got really warm. had a haircut appointment on a good groomer day, poo poo. got my n.o.s. boot to work, just need a 5 position lean thing to lock it in a more upright position. would have loved to stay a little longer on a really nice day...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 11:30...