Head Stratos Pro

lmfmjha

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A buddy of mine who is your size just bought a pair. He loves them. Compared to my Raichles, they are industrial strength. The plastic looks better, the buckles are definitely better and micro-adjustable, they come with extra sole pads and an extra tongue. They also have these ingenious levers for the buckles that helps you really crank them if you want.

They are stiff but you'll probably want that with your size.

Thanks, skategoat!

An IT support guy interrupted me.

So, here comes more specifications.

Yes, I would like them stiff. Currently, I am riding

with Burton Fire (yellow ones), and I have tried out

also with the red Fire (older ones). Both are stiff enough.

My size is 28.5 in mondo.

My first and only pair of boots are Head stratus pro's. My size is also 28.5 mondo. I have been riding with them for about two months.

The buckles are awesom for micro adjustment and the boots come with power straps on the liner and the shell of the boot which I find very helpful.

Next season I will get custom foot beds and maybe even better liners. The liner that came with the boots are heat moldable, before I got them molded they were injuring my legs due to pressure spots, after I got them molded they were still pretty uncomfortable. And the cheap foot beds cost me a toe nail.

But I love the boots.

• 7 months later...

OK - resurrecting this one.

For you 200+ pounders, how have you found the flex in this boot as far as overall stiffness compared to Raichle/Deeluxe, UPZ, whatever. Head liner vs. Thermo, etc. Looking more from a freecarving application than race.

Read the reviews on 'em already. Somewhat helpful.

I've noticed that Randy S, Noah, and some others out there have some experience with them.

Thanks in advance for any additional feedback!

Guest Randy S.

I'm liking them. I'm 200lbs and ride pretty aggressively. I like the stiffness, but may add my booster strap this season. The stock liner is great, way better than Raichle IMO. The buckles rule. I think they are the best boots on the market, if they fit your foot (I have a wider foot with a farily high instep).

I tried some Stratos LTD's last year, which I hear are almost identical to the Stratos Pros. I loved the buckles, and they were certainly beefy it was easy to mount Intec heels. Unfortunately, the location of the buckles didn't work for me, 'cause despite my 195 pounds about 20 of which I need to lose around the middle, I have skinny ankles and the 2nd and 3rd buckles wound up overlapping and eliminating all trace of forward flex. I just couldn't ride in them. Ask Slopetool, he was a witness - it was October of last season. Stiffness wise, they seemed noticeably stiffer the Deeluxe Suzukas.

I suspect someone with more voluminous ankles would like a lot better than I did. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from looking at them - just wanted to point at that for me, Raichle/Deeluxe is working much better.

I'm still on the only pair of hard boots I've ever owned - Raichle 324.

One buckle is finicky and appears irreplaceable. My heels seem to have too much up-down movement.

Without breaking the bank, what would you recommend for a replacement boot?

I enjoy racing and carving the groomers.

I'm 5'8", 170 pounds and aged 59. Boot size is 28.5.

As always, I appreciate the guidance.

How tall is the cuff on the Head boots, compared to Raichle and UPZ?

The cuff on the Heads is much lower than on the Raichles/Deeluxe. Don't know about the UPZ.

For those saying that the Stratos Pro are stiff, how adjustable is the stiffness? From appearances it seems like the spring at the back has quite a big range of adjustability for the forward flex.

For those saying that the Stratos Pro are stiff, how adjustable is the stiffness?

You can dramatically reduce stiffness by cutting some plastic in the shell.

Have a look here : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1034&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

From appearances it seems like the spring at the back has quite a big range of adjustability for the forward flex.

No, the range is limited, and because of plastic / plastic friction the effect also limited.

After cutting the shell, effect of the spring is great.

That's totally f&cking punk rock. A 9-page thread filled with pictures, graphs, and spreadsheets. I don't read French, but I think I can work out the basics of what's going on.

Yeaaahhh...Arnaud is the french "Mac Gyver" :biggthump

Head Stratos were very good and also you can increase performance & confort with ACSS --> Arnaud Cool Spring System (you can buy it)

I'll tried it last winter, and it's perfect you know.

Oke, post is in french but you've some crazy "tuning" pics ;)

acss_by_t.b..jpg

How are folks going about cutting their Startos Pros? Do you take apart the shell or just take a box cutter to it and "carve" out the plastic? I am thinking about doing this to soften it up. In stock form I don't find the rear spring mechanism to be of much use.

Cheers,

Mark

You can't take apart the shell because the assembly use a rivet.

So you must use a cutter inside the shell. It's not very easy because of the accessibility. Easier if you heat a little the shell near a radiator. Be careful to avoid injuries with the cutter. The best is a hook shaped blade used to cut carpet.

I will translate partially the french post from EC.com, to show the necessary cut out. I'll try to do this soon.

It is possible to decrease the stiffness of Head boots while also improving spring response.

The problem with original Head

There is a gap between the 2 sides of the plastic shell.

When the boot flexes forward, the 2 sides touch (black arrow)

There is also a lot of friction between lower and upper part of the shell. This interferes with the functioning of the spring system.

post-1322-141842206541_thumb.jpg

post-1322-141842206543_thumb.jpg