Note to New Members ×

newbie question - How to press on hard boot tongue?

FelixD

Hi

2 days ago tried my hard boot and free carve board for the 1st time ever, it is totally different from the soft boot set I used to ride!!!!

The question I have right now is that I am suffering on the toe side since it is extremely hard for me to press on the tongue of boots, so that I can barely felt the toe side of the board (was following the technical documents to practice). Any recommendation? Thank you

@FelixD

By angles we mean -

0 degrees = long axis of the binding is perpendicular to the long axis of the board.
90 degrees = the long axis of binding and board are exactly aligned.

Typically in hard boots, the front binding will be about 5 degrees higher angled than the rear, e.g. 50 degrees front compared to 45 degrees rear.
Typically binding angle will range between 40 degrees to 70 degrees, generally such that the rear boot heel and toe do not protrude outside of the profile of the snowboard.

Edited by SunSurfer
typo correction

This may also vary quite a bit. The Pure Boarding crowd favor a lot more splay (= difference in angle between front and rear bindings) - at least 20°.

Also, you do not need to exert pressure on both tongues. For the toeside turn, focus on the rear shin. When done right, your rear knee will touch the snow in a toeside turn (and not  even a very fast turn).

If you feel you cannot bend your knees (especially the rear one) enough, you can try the setting the front binding to a higher angle.

I don’t understand what you meant by full straight. I asked about your binding angles to find out if you had a hard boot setup where both feet are angled forward strongly, or whether you were using hard boots at similar angles to soft boots. If you have high forward angles, thinking about pressuring the shin isn’t helpful. That’s because we’re using both the side and the front of the boot. Also it’s hard to use ankle action as a beginner. 

Instead on a toeside turn, just think about trying to push your back knee into the snow.  That generally gets things moving in the right direction. 

7 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

@FelixD

By angles we mean -

0 degrees = long axis of the binding is perpendicular to the long axis of the board.
90 degrees = the long axis of binding and board are exactly aligned.

Typically in hard boots, the front binding will be about 5 degrees higher angled than the rear, e.g. 50 degrees front compared to 45 degrees rear.
Typically binding angle will range between 40 degrees to 70 degrees, generally such that the rear boot heel and toe do not protrude outside of the profile of the snowboard.

Thx!

5 hours ago, Aracan said:

This may also vary quite a bit. The Pure Boarding crowd favor a lot more splay (= difference in angle between front and rear bindings) - at least 20°.

Also, you do not need to exert pressure on both tongues. For the toeside turn, focus on the rear shin. When done right, your rear knee will touch the snow in a toeside turn (and not  even a very fast turn).

If you feel you cannot bend your knees (especially the rear one) enough, you can try the setting the front binding to a higher angle.

Thx

16 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I don’t understand what you meant by full straight. I asked about your binding angles to find out if you had a hard boot setup where both feet are angled forward strongly, or whether you were using hard boots at similar angles to soft boots. If you have high forward angles, thinking about pressuring the shin isn’t helpful. That’s because we’re using both the side and the front of the boot. Also it’s hard to use ankle action as a beginner. 

Instead on a toeside turn, just think about trying to push your back knee into the snow.  That generally gets things moving in the right direction. 

Yep, my binding angle is 55/50, may need to think about changing it to a high degree. Also, thx for the advice about push the back knee into the snow in toe side.

I assume it refers to the forward lean setting on the deeluxe.

Felix, do not set it in the most upright position. Not straighter up than the middle setting. You can also try walk mode(which I use myself). Some will argue that walk mode can be dangerous for your ankles, I disagree,  the forward lean mechanism limits forward lean to the most forward fixed setting,  also in walk mode. 

1 minute ago, TimW said:

Felix, do not set it in the most upright position. Not straighter up than the middle setting. You can also try walk mode(which I use myself). Some will argue that walk mode can be dangerous for your ankles, I disagree,  the forward lean mechanism limits forward lean to the most forward fixed setting,  also in walk mode. 

Will try. thx

40 minutes ago, TimW said:

Does that mean you are using walk mode all the time even riding? I did feel that forward lean mechanism of Deeluxe 425 limited my forward movement. Thank you

2 minutes ago, rst said:

if everything is quiet in office, I'll be riding Copper on 10th or 11th or both

I'm intermediate one, but can show you some basics

also there are 3 guys riding Copper on Tuesdays

Awesome! I can be there on both Wed/Thu afternoon. Hopefully we can meet on Copper. Thx!

1 hour ago, FelixD said:

Does that mean you are using walk mode all the time even riding? I did feel that forward lean mechanism of Deeluxe 425 limited my forward movement. Thank you

Yes, front boot in walk mode, rear boot with the knob turned 90deg (which gives free forward flex, but limits how far upright it can go).

The Deeluxe forward lean mechanism fully locks the boot, which most people consider (far) too stiff. Therefore most replace the it with a spring mechanism, like Bomber's BTS.

1 minute ago, TimW said:

Yes, front boot in walk mode, rear boot with the knob turned 90deg (which gives free forward flex, but limits how far upright it can go).

The Deeluxe forward lean mechanism fully locks the boot, which most people consider (far) too stiff. Therefore most replace the it with a spring mechanism, like Bomber's BTS.

Thx so much! can't wait to try the new setting! 

Don't start worrying about knees an elbows and shit until you sort out your core. If your center isn't where it needs to be, pushing knees around, pressuring tongues, and crap like that is just gonna screw you up more. Get your core sorted and that stuff will just happen, then you can start tweaking extremities and make it really happen.

• Like 2