Note to New Members ×

Who all here races in forms other than alpine/snow?

ar(angel

This thread is kind of a take off of SWriverstone's thread about "what will you do when the snow is gone" After reading alot of the posts and watching some of the video clips people posted, it occured to me that alot of folks here like to race or go fast in forms other than alpine or on the snow. So tell me what you do and why you do it and if it relates in any way to alpine or vice~versa. My need for speed stems from "road racing" street bikes. The bike pictured below was my attempt at finally making it to the race track and off the streets after 10 years of surviving "back road" racing. Unfortunately an untimely divorce put that plan on the back burner.....:( 1988 Honda Hawk 650 built by your's truly from the ground up out of a wreck I bought at the salvage yard. Arcing through turns on my boards reminds me of doing the same thing on my bikes. Thats' why I tell people when they ask what kind of board mine is I say it's "like a road racer for the snow"

Have fun,

Paul

post-857-14184220308_thumb.jpg

I've been racing on bycicles for almost 17 years now. Last year I decided to race much less, I think, there will be some MTB Marathon races this summer. No more road racing, you do it with full power or you have to leave it :(.

I do a 10 Km run sometimes, just to prove myself. Maybe a 42 Km this year later in summer, let's see, how my knees will perform over the year...

Oh, I will tell you about car racing later this year...

I race in the surf in Australia through my Surf life Saving Club. During summer I race surf skis (a bit like racing kayaks for the surf - I also race sprint kayaks) and during winter I race Inflatable Rescue Boats (IRB's or "Rubber Ducks").

Skis and kayaks are a fitness thing, Ducks are a pure adreniline rush. Consider that our gear does over 50km/h and the waves we go through come in at about 25km/h and are up to 10ft high, it is a pretty awesome adventure.

It is an ordinary photo, but should give you the idea.

post-1177-141842203084_thumb.jpg

I used to race skis a bit (college level and amateur level later on).

My main thing was sailing dinghies. Was a member of South African National Team - Finn Olympic Singlehander. Sailed in Gold Cup 2002 (World Championships) in Athens, Greece.

No Finns in Vancouver - I think I'll start sailing Lasers from this spring, like in my younger years...

Sailing a dinghy is not as fast as windsurfer, but it is very technical/tactical. Also extremely physically demanding (good quads really help :)

Boris

post-1678-141842203085_thumb.jpg

I've been into whitewater slalom racing (and that style of paddling) for years. Nothing even remotely like recreational whitewater kayaking. Totally different boats (longer/lighter/sharper edges), totally different techniques (forward speed, forward speed, and forward speed!).

I paddle the rarest whitewater boat in the world, a C-1. Looks like a kayak, but C-boaters kneel (strapped in) and use a single-bladed canoe paddle. Insanely difficult to learn. For example, you have to be able to paddle just as well on either side of the boat---without switching hands. But it's incredibly addictive and rewarding!

I also built an artificial whitewater course from a power plant discharge canal. That was fun! :)

Scott

PS - I've always thought ski slalom rules are too lenient---in whitewater, you can't even touch the gate. 2-second penalty on your time if you do. Anyone can go faster whacking poles---where's the skill in that? :)

slalom_lrg.jpg

Originally posted by kamran

Civ,

I've been looking into speed skateboards and carveboards for the summer. How fast does the one in the picture go?..is that you?

yeah, thats me...im prolly pushing 50 mph in that pic.

I used to race MTB's in cross country and a few dual races, now I just ride for fun every now and then.

Autocross has taken hold of me though. I eat, sleep, and breathe autocross. I ran our local autocross program for the last two years, and have organized a school to help other locals improve quickly. I'll be driving half-way across the country to compete in the Canadian Nationals later this season.

2b4n09

Then I also race in a kart league at our local indoor track. We race every two weeks, it's incredibly competitive and yet very clean racing.

Guest giorgio32123
Originally posted by BlueB

I used to race skis a bit (college level and amateur level later on).

My main thing was sailing dinghies. Was a member of South African National Team - Finn Olympic Singlehander. Sailed in Gold Cup 2002 (World Championships) in Athens, Greece.

No Finns in Vancouver - I think I'll start sailing Lasers from this spring, like in my younger years...

Sailing a dinghy is not as fast as windsurfer, but it is very technical/tactical. Also extremely physically demanding (good quads really help :)

Boris

Holly shmolly... Finn? On that level? You gotta be a heavy and tough guy. That is one of a hell class. I admire if you reached that level.

(it only looks like it was easy)

Guest giorgio32123
Originally posted by corey_dyck

I used to race MTB's in cross country and a few dual races, now I just ride for fun every now and then.

Autocross has taken hold of me though. I eat, sleep, and breathe autocross. I ran our local autocross program for the last two years, and have organized a school to help other locals improve quickly. I'll be driving half-way across the country to compete in the Canadian Nationals later this season.

2b4n09

Then I also race in a kart league at our local indoor track. We race every two weeks, it's incredibly competitive and yet very clean racing.

So dirt or track? What do you prefer?

Do you use Miata on autocross?

My dad raced finns in the era of John Betrand, Clive Roberts, just a little after Elvstrom - that group.

I am just too light for that, and the laser is a sucky stupid boat.... I have max respect for anyone who races the finn; I always thought though that being allowed to carry a big bag of bricks to put on the rail as you were stacking would make the boat infinitely easier to race :-)

You might like to consider taking up formula windsurfing.... that class is not really tactical (none of the fast classes are really) but what a blast... much better than a laser :-0

Check out the board here to get an idea of what I am talking about..... would be much less work than sailing a finn, even though it carries an additional 15 sq ft of sail (with the big 12.5m rig)

http://www.formulawindsurfing.org/viewer.php?f=031004&id=2

a nice starting line for ya.

Originally posted by giorgio32123

Holly shmolly... Finn? On that level? You gotta be a heavy and tough guy. That is one of a hell class. I admire if you reached that level.

(it only looks like it was easy)

Good to hear from guys knowing about Finns! Not the most popular boat really.

Giorgio,

I am no giant by any means - I am 181cm tall and at the time of the Gold Cup 2002 I was about 92kg. I was probably the smallest adult competitor at that regatta (and smaller than many juniors btw :O ), and did not do too great.

I lost weight to 76kg while sailing 30' keel boat from South Africa to Vancouver, and since recovered to only 82kg... Not enough to be competitive on high level.

Kipstar,

Regards to you and to your dad! Give it a go on a Finn if you do get a chance - great boat. You'll struggle upwind in heavy stuff, but you'll fly off-wind! Modern carbon winged masts can be custom made or adjusted for lighter guys.

Bricks not allowed :) Up till few years ago the weight jackets were allowed, and guys could hike out straight legged/backed (not like me on the pic - tired at the end of a windy regatta) wearing them.

Laser looks simple and stupid but it has hidden qualities: the only true one design, easy to transport and maintain, and you'll find good fleet wherever you go. Very physical too, like any singlehander without trapeze.

Link you sent me looks great, thanks. I sailed windsurfer as kid (in the days before winged sails and even before the Hawaiian trapeze) and did not have a blast like with dinghies. I like tactical classes.

Mind you, the nowadays windsurfers can carve! :) I still might give it a go - lots of them in Vancouver.

Boris

Originally posted by giorgio32123

So dirt or track? What do you prefer?

Do you use Miata on autocross?

Ah, I notice you're in Italy. What we call autocross in North America is kind of like a higher-speed gymkhana, all on pavement but without any spins or reversing.

In car video is here: http://media.wpg-autox.org/videos/05232004/Corey230504fun.wmv

No dirt for me, although I did do some ice racing last winter. That was fun, but a little too rich for my pocket!

Guest Randy S.

Hey Paul, nice track bike. My first day back on the track looks like June 4 at Reno-Fernley. I'm psyched to get back out there. I crashed labor day and haven't been out since. Wanna join me?

I don't actually race motorcycles, just ride for fun on the track.

Guest Robert Flagg

Road racing, baby!

If my wife will get off her butt and fix the gearbox I trashed on the GSX-R750 last year I should be good to go in CCS Formula 40. Might even have to tune up the Duc 748RS and do Twins (yes, that is a Factory prepped World Supersport machine - Ruben Xaus old bike).

post-1333-141842203407_thumb.jpg

but I don't currently have a bike :( Hoping to get back into the sport next year after the remodel on the house is done (although according to the wife, it'll never be finished!) Robert, sweet ride! an ex-Xaus bike, wow, that thing must rip!!! I loved my twin, it was the best back road bike I ever had. My old Hurricane was pretty good in the tight stuff, but that twin would leave 'em crying from corner to corner. I'd really like to ride a new(er) Duc just to see what a twin with 100 horsepower is like! Randy thanks for the invite, I'll take a raincheck and hold you to it :D . Hope you get well and are back out terrorizing the apex's soon,

Have fun,

Paul