Note to New Members ×

Riding Advice

Gremlin

Hello all.

I've recently acquired a pair of Lange plug boots that I'm in the process of modifying for flex and range of motion. 

I've narrowed my stance one position on my WCs. One footing feels pretty even one edge to the other. The board feels unstable and prone to catching if I'm trying to track straight, considering moving both my bindings back one position.

In the video I'm hanging off the back. I think a large part of that is fighting how soft and slow the snow was today. My front quad was smoking, but it was hard to tell what was the snow and what was poor alignment. 

Breaking out of a carve into a skid and back is fairly even one edge and the other. On the toeside it requires a little more intentional pressuring of the nose.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by Gremlin
links

Additionally, I'm having trouble with my rear boot bottoming out on flex. I could and may create more forward RoM in the shell, but there's already a decent amount. My intent is to decrease the internal ramp, and possibly also the forward lean.

Seems like you back knee is way to close to the back of your front knee. If your having trouble with toe side your front binding is set too far back. Move front binding forward. Front binding location is for steering. How about boot cuff angles? Mount boots on bindings without liners. Step in, where does you leg sit in relation to the cuff? Centered? Try walking on a hard surface with boots on ( with liners ). Does you foot land somewhat even or do you mostly land on one edge or the other? That will tell you if you cuff angles are right for you or not. I would start there. 

Edited by snowburn

The knee looks that way, but doesn't feel it. I'm not sure it matters unless it's indicative of a separate issue.

Soles strike flat when walking, cuff pressure to the sides feels relatively even turn to turn. I do have to be careful not to relax and unintentionally pressure the front cuff in the rear.

Additional info upon finding a level.

55° on both bindings.

.5° - .8° front cant

2.5 - 3 toe lift

6.2 - 6.5 heel lift

.2 - .5 rear cant

Cants are outward. Boots have an internal ramp of 4°.

Forward lean is slightly reduced in the front, and stock in the rear.

My rear lift seems high to me, but the board had a tendency to twist down the front heel and rear toe otherwise. This effect is reduced but not eliminated with my cuffs undone.

Splay is largely a byproduct of feet that collapse medially. I ran 2.5° or 5° before I had footbeds made.

With footbeds my rear knee was uncomfortable when splayed. Now that my legs are aligned, my ankles and knees travel on or close to the same path.

It makes absorbing and reacting to terrain irregularity easier and faster, countersteering with the ankles is easier, and my feet and ankles don't change shape or alignment when weight distribution changes.

6 hours ago, Gremlin said:

My rear lift seems high to me, but the board had a tendency to twist down the front heel and rear toe otherwise. This effect is reduced but not eliminated with my cuffs undone.

Hmm, that twist might have to do with the board not tracking straight... Does it go straight with buckles undone? Also, try changing your setup in such a way that the twist is reversed and see how it tracks afterwards. 

Hey Gremlin,

Hmm.........I'd like to know what board your on, width, SCR, etc.  What bindings, what boots (looks like two different boots in video?) were you riding?

How long you been snowboarding?  How long on an Alpine board?

Looked like a fun uncrowded day at Stowe!

BlueB

I mostly got rid of the twist with the heel lift. The cuff mitigation was testing before I picked up the heel more.

The tracking isn't a sensation of twist, but excessive nose pressure causing the board to want to dive or fishtail.

barryj

Volkl Renn Tiger

19.5 in the waist (I think)

Scr tight, don't know the number

Lange plug boots in Catek WCs

13 years riding, 4.5 in hardboots

It was good. Incredibly slow and soft. The lack of crowds was a relief. Stail now gets absolutely overrun by tourists because of the aquisition.

Not an expert but here are my imptessions:

Your stance looks kind of narrow to me resulting in an upright riding position.  What is the center to center distance between your bindings?  How are they mounted relative to the board's hole pattern?  A wider stance will make it easier  and more comfortable to adjust your weight fore/aft on the board and allow you to depressive the nose.

Also the video gives me the impression that while your shoulders tend to be square to the front of the board, your hips are quite parallel to the side of the board (especially the first half of the video).  Maybe it's just me running higher angles (65/62) but I need to square up my shoulders and hips to really get in the groove,  even just gliding straight I  the catwalk.

My stance is fairly narrow. My boots are stiff, and their geometry makes a wider stance currently impractical. Width will be revisited after further bootwork. 

I was full forward on my rear insert set in front and front insert set in the rear.

I do tend to have issues rotating my hips out of my turns. I'd marked it as a width issue, but watching this video I'm suspecting my cant.

I worked on my one foot some yesterday and realized my front foot is all out of wack anyways. I have to intentionally keep the board carving on my heels, and can't get it to skid on my toes. I've moved both my bindings back one notch and will try that today. Will also mess with my cant.

From :28 onward you can see me trying to make equal skidded turns on my toes and heels. 

Please excuse the hunchback. My back protector is bulky.