Note to New Members ×

Soft boot carving binding settings??

chotoboydave

I’ve been riding a hard boot plate carving set up for over 10 years.  Swoard and F2 bindings.  I recently switched to a soft boot carving set up.  I used to ride a 53/50 front back binding degree set up.  

My current board is a SG Soul w Union Force bindings.  What degree set up should I use for my soft boot binding set up?  I’ve heard a lot of ranges, 15-30 on the front and 5-20 on the back.  Any suggestions would help.  

21 hours ago, chotoboydave said:

I’ve been riding a hard boot plate carving set up for over 10 years.  Swoard and F2 bindings.  I recently switched to a soft boot carving set up.  I used to ride a 53/50 front back binding degree set up.  

My current board is a SG Soul w Union Force bindings.  What degree set up should I use for my soft boot binding set up?  I’ve heard a lot of ranges, 15-30 on the front and 5-20 on the back.  Any suggestions would help.  

Welcome to real snowboarding. 😀 To me, the alpine angles suggest you either have a smaller foot or ride a wider board. I’m a size 12/m30 and ride 62/57 give or take. Then again, I’ve seen 70/70 with smaller feet too. Just start with what’s comfortable for you with softboot angles while  limiting toe/heel hang. My boards range from 26.5-27.7 waist widths. My general angles are 36/15 give or take. Anyone with an alpine background such as yourself might benefit from starting steeper such as 30+/12+ for stance angles. Then figure it out as you go. Fine tune from there. My angles, stance width, setback, etc vary slightly with the conditions for the day or how I feel like riding too. Change it up for curiosity sake if you choose. Might help dial in your happy medium. Technique and style is more important than being fixed on exact angles but it’s a good starting point. Good luck and rip it up!

I think 30/15 is probably a good start. Take a screwdriver with you and experiment!

I've really been liking 36/21 lately. Made all my softboot boards like that. I feel it points me more forward which I like. I've tried 45/30 but felt I had no power on the front foot. 

So basically just set a day for experimenting. Try extremes. You'll be wiser for it.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, crackaddict said:

12 in the back, 27 in the front is pretty minimal for soft boot carving.  If you're dragging your boots, go to steeper angles, get lifts under the bindings and/or buy a wider board.

That’s what I’m working with for now, but my goal is freeriding not carving so much. I reckon if it works for Jeremy Jones and I’m riding one of his decks... 

At any rate, very little overhang on a wide (nearly 27 cm) board with size 10 Ions. Not enough to matter with my level of softie skill.