Note to New Members ×

Why do resorts close???

SWriverstone

Okay, here's a question about resort economics: why do some resorts seem hell-bent on closing soon---even if they still have tons of snow and good conditions? Is it because people simply stop coming? In other words, are people so pre-conditioned and brainwashed they can't imagine skiing in April even if the conditions are great?

Or...do resorts only budget for staying open a fixed number of weeks, and that's it---they couldn't stay open any longer even if they had 20 feet of snow on the ground? (But this wouldn't make sense if people kept coming and kept paying for lift tickets.)

I'm just curious about this.

Scott

Of course, I could have told you this tomorrow, but I know you are probably wondering about RT.

We are closing because we built it, but they won't come. Spring sports have started. Usually spring temps are here by now. People just stop coming. RT is waiting until this weekend to monitor traffic. If we have a good turnout this weekend, they will close on the weekdays next week and reopen on Easter weekend.

Thanks Phil---that's interesting. I'm a bit baffled as to why people stop coming? I mean, I do lots of other sports (paddling, hang gliding, cycling, etc.) and I'd gladly put those off for a few more weeks of carving! :) Besides, it's not like it's toasty warm outside to do other sports yet.

Scott

most places still have enought skiable when they close but the only people skiing are season pass holders so its just a good way to lose money in the eyes of the resorts

look at sunday river the last couple of years they have been closing on april 15th but years past it was always may 1st

the reason they started doing that was to save $$$$$$

ASC already has the season pass holders money

ohh damn I should head up to sunday river I bet the bumps are great right now on shockwave and the heat

Guest Randy S.

Out west lots of resorts are on gov't land. They close either when they run out of snow, run out of customers or their lease with the gov't forces them to close (usually sometime in May).

Beaver Valley in S. Ontario has a set schedule. Because it is a private club, they do not count on day passes. Everyday they are open late, they lose money. Also they have a contract for power for the lifts and when it runs out, it costs them an arm and a leg for power.

I asked this very question last weekend-the ski school attendant told me that nobody wants to drive up from Denver when it starts to get warm so business dies off. I know, I can believe it either. I'll be doing the MS150 in April, dreaming of snowboarding

Get out there and ride!

Snowshoe, WV (Monday, March 14, 2005) - So far this March, Snowshoe ski and snowboard resort in West Virginia has picked up 69 inches of snow. Their three-week snowfall total is now up to nearly 80 inches. Conditions are so good, the Intrawest-operated resort is extending the season by another week.

The last day for skiing and riding for this year at Snowshoe is now set for April 10th.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Out west lots of resorts are on gov't land. They close either when they run out of snow, run out of customers or their lease with the gov't forces them to close (usually sometime in May).

If I remember correctly one of the reasons the government land use resorts have to close is because of the animals. The land is breeding grounds and the animals go into heat in the spring.

So some resorts close early so the deer can get some!

Pat,

The same thing has happened to Mountain Creek in NJ. We have had such a good March that they are extending the season. They usually would have closed down by now but there is so much snow that they have almost 100% of the trails opened. The forecast is for cooler than usual temps through this week so I think they'll be opened for another two weeks. We may even get a day or two of April riding.

Guest jeremiah

The resorts I grew up riding all had to close by April 15th, as that is when their BLM/Forest Service leases expired. I *think* Mt. Snow is on FS land, which would explain their set closing date. I see that Stratton has their closing date set at April 10th, but maybe they'll extend it a bit with all the good snow.

If all else fails there is always Killington, then Tuckerman's Ravine, then A-Basin to extend the season.

Jeremiah

As the snow gets softer, the amount of work you need to do to keep it ridable goes up. The mountains also have trouble finding staff to work in the spring. It's not easy to keep these places open in the spring.

Although we'll probably have tons of skiable terrain all the way in to Maine, our current scheduled closing date is April 24th (although that may get extended again).

Originally posted by thebionicman

If I remember correctly one of the reasons the government land use resorts have to close is because of the animals. The land is breeding grounds and the animals go into heat in the spring.

So some resorts close early so the deer can get some!

A couple of years ago I went to Big Mountain in April and a part was closed because it's grizzly habitat..... This year the same part of the mountain was closed in January due to lack of snow!

We got about 10-15 inches here over the weekend and my home mountain was supposed to close on Sunday (March 13th), but actually decided to stay open for one more weekend! This is probably the largest single snowfall we've had all season..... too bad it wasn't sooner!

The rule here in Maine is if it snows in Portland and/or Boston, the slopes will be crowded - regardless of whether the storm hit or missed the mountains.

Conversely, when it's 60 degrees in the cities and all the snow is rapidly melting or gone, and crocuses are popping up, the daytrippers just stop thinking about skiing and stop going.

Whitefish, MT (Tuesday, March 15, 2005) - Big Mountain Resort has announced that it will close for the winter season on March 27, 14 days earlier than its regular scheduled closing date.

“As we all know, this has been one of the warmest and driest winters on record in northwestern Montana, and the effects are becoming apparent on our slopes,” said Fred Jones, president and CEO of Big Mountain Resort. “Despite the difficult winter, we’re glad we have been able to provide some of the best skiing and riding conditions in the entire region. We’d like to thank all our employees and guests for making it another good season.”

Big Mountain’s final weekend will include a “Rites of Spring Beach Party” at the Summit House on Saturday, March 26. On Sunday, March 27, an on-mountain Easter Egg hunt will commence in the morning with the grand prize being a 2005/06 season pass. A kid’s Easter Egg hunt will take place at the fire pit at 1 p.m. for ages 6 and under and at 1:30 p.m. for ages 7 and older. The annual end of season Furniture Race has been rescheduled for the closing day at 5 p.m. on Chair 3.