Note to New Members ×

Recommendation for youth new into carving board

neverevr

My daughter is an alpine ski racer and an advance freeride snowboarder. After winning a couple of regional high school races with a regular freeride board, she wants to get a carving board and may be pick up alpine snowboard racing. She is 14 years old, super petite at 4'10", 100 lb.  She would not grow much anymore.  Can anyone recommend brand and length for her.  Shall she start with a SL or GS board? All high school races are GS format, and I am not aware of any snowboard race clubs in Ontario, Canada.

21 minutes ago, neverevr said:

Thanks. At the same time I want to learn more about the equipment, lengths and specs so I can shop for used equipment as an option also. Any technical information to educate me at the forum is appreciated.

This is a great place to start.  I just set my daughter up with a carving setup (not a racer) with knowledge gleaned from sources here and from the two board manufacturers mentioned above.  I'd say this: Most riders here are a lot heavier than 100# and their equipment wouldn't likely be appropriate for your girl. A suitable used board would be a rarity here.  It was a paradigm shift for me to equip a 100# girl vs a 180# man because our needs are different.

Donek and Coiler have a lot of experience with making things right for your situation.  They can give you a lot of guidance ideally after you have lightly familiarized yourself with the "equipment, lengths and specs" you speak of.  But really defer to their wisdom.  They will not steer you wrong.  But as we always say here start with the right (fit is key) boots.  UPZ and Deeluxe are the most accessible and are made in small sizes. 

There is a Noram Snowboard Racers Facebook page which was helpful to me.  You might check on that also.

• Like 1

There are some technical and instructional articles at our homepage, http://alpinesnowboarder.com.

There is a new leftover 2018 F2 Speedster SL 139 at yyzcanuck, here: https://www.yyzcanuck.com/shop/snowboards/f2-speedster-equipe-sl-2017-18/

It sounds like that would be a good fit for her and it's a great price and available right now.  It is easier to learn on a SL board and also you can fake it in a GS course with an SL board.  If she likes it and gets good then you can worry about a real GS board.  Donek and Coiler are awesome but you'd probably be looking at a full custom.

The most important thing though, is if she can already carve the downhill edge of her softboot board.  That is, can she change edges before the board points down hill, and carve the edge all the way around without skidding or steering?  Can she link these turns together?  If not she needs to be doing that before trying hardboots.  If she can do this, the transition to hardboots will be much easier.

I recommend UPZ boots - www.upzboots.com, and F2 race titanium bindings also available at yyzcanuck.  Get an extra lift kit and put one under her front foot toe and one under her back foot heel.  Do not install the cant shims that slope sideways.

You may be able to find boots and bindings in our classifieds here.

Good luck!

Edited by Jack M
correction

Canadian contacts. 

canadasnowboard.ca  (federal organization)

alpineontario .ca (provincal organization)

World cup race comming to Blue Mt. Collingwood  Feb. 29th.-  30th.  Contact canadasnowboard .ca to volunteer.

Andrea and Dave Morgan @yyzcanuck can set you up with boots, board and bindings and they have everything in stock for excellent fitting. 

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

There are some technical and instructional articles at our homepage, http://alpinesnowboarder.com.

There is a new leftover 2018 F2 Speedster SL 139 at yyzcanuck, here: https://www.yyzcanuck.com/shop/snowboards/f2-speedster-equipe-sl-2017-18/

It sounds like that would be a good fit for her and it's a great price and available right now.  It is easier to learn on a SL board and also you can fake it in a GS course with an SL board.  If she likes it and gets good then you can worry about a real GS board.  If you think 139 is too short there is also a 145cm 2020 Speedster at yyzcanuck.  The board should be at least as tall as her chin and shorter than her eyes.  F2 boards are a great value because they offer full metal construction at a great price.  Current women's World Cup leader rides F2.  Donek and Coiler are awesome but you'd be looking at a full custom and probably not metal at the price you'd want to pay.

The speedster equipe is not metal, only glass laminate with wood deck. Still a good choice I'd say.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TimW said:

The speedster equipe is not metal, only glass laminate with wood deck. Still a good choice I'd say.

Ahhhh, thank you.  I missed the "Equipe".  Indeed, the "World Cup" Speedsters are metal.  There is a 153 World Cup there, but that is a GS size for her.  The 139 Equipe is still a good choice and you could pick it up today.

I have a NOS Rossignol jr. race board, still in plastic. I was keeping it for my son, but he only likes his skis. It's much older then that F2, but you can have it for a fraction of the price... I'm in Canada, so no import hassles. 

Email: boris at blueb dot biz