Note to New Members ×

Bomber bindings for ice sailing skates

bigwavedave

I just acquired some old TD1's to upgrade my old ski boot skates so I could use them with my super comfy Raichle SB323's rather than a much older pair of very uncomfortable ski boots. Made these skates 30 years ago by riveting 18" industrial hacksaw blade stock to 4" aluminum angle. Waiting for the river to refreeze.

752125962_IMG_3870-Edited.jpg.94d78fa621c3bae1ebd5e5397d461d9f.jpg627984656_IMG_3876-Edited.jpg.a5cd90544c043106dcb0c2a865159f18.jpg

Here's a video of the skates in action on a patch of mirror smooth ice on Mille Lacs Lake, Minnesota, circa1990.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

I just acquired some old TD1's to upgrade my old ski boot skates so I could use them with my super comfy Raichle SB323's rather than a much older pair of very uncomfortable ski boots. Made these skates 30 years ago by riveting 18" industrial hacksaw blade stock to 4" aluminum angle. Waiting for the river to refreeze.

what angles do you have set on your bindings? 😜

10 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Why do you use that rather than hockey skates?

You could use hockey skates, but speed skates would be better. The short rockered blades on hockey skates feel pretty wobbly when you start screaming across the ice at 2½ times the speed of the wind. And, like Bob said they don't provide stability for going over variable ice with cracks and other things that can trip you up.

Also, those tall blades allow for a greater angle of heel (leaning into the sail) without booting out. The extra height makes it easier to go through a bit of snow. Plus the boots are so much warmer and provide much needed ankle stability at high speeds compared to any normal skates.

It's kind of like the difference between a freestyle softboot setup and a long race board with hardboots. Which would you prefer once you're going 30, 40, 50 mph?

...on the other hand, imagine how intimidating it would be to show up at a hockey game wearing Frankenstein skates.:eplus2:

• Like 1