Note to New Members ×

Metal Topsheet

charliechocolate

I really like the look and feel of a metal topsheet. I know Kessler and Prior used to have them on some their boards. I have an older Kessler SL with a metal topsheet and apart from the snow tending to cake-on quickly to the metal, it seems to be holding up. Are there any other drawbacks to it that might have made manufacturers discontinue it or was it simply not popular enough to be worth making?

Anyone order a custom with a metal top recently?

14 hours ago, bobdea said:

Ride is making them now, delamed, they are good about warranties though. 

Theres a reason no one does it! That said my Kessler hasn’t blown up yet.... look like it’s days are numbered though! 

looking at rides catalogue for next year the timeless is gone and so is its shiny metal top sheet

I built a metal top sheet board this year. I considered adding a protective layer but did not do because of the additional weight a complexity in manufacturing. I use vacuum infusion as a fabrication method and that becomes it a bit complex if you add non-porous metal layers... 

Damage / impact is defnitely a concern. Bonding strenght is critical or metal boards and an impact therefore is more likely to cause a delamination in a metal board than in a composite board, and a delam is more likly to grow.

Furthermore the aluminum scratches easily, affecting the good looks.  And actually a ski (or board) could easily make a deep scratch, taking out considerable strength. 

Local loads from bindings I also see as a concern. This could be solved by some protective plates. I ride it with td2s directly on the board and it has been fine.

But I only have ~15 days on it so far, so no final judgement yet, although I have had several boards that did not last me that long.....

Edited by TimW