Note to New Members ×

Critique my riding

Colozeus

Alright folks,

I just wanted to give a big thanks to all of you for the advice received. I'm at a very happy place now. Final changes that i'm sticking with are as follows:

• 6/6 toe and heel lift
  • max inward cuff cant on both upz's, (around 1 degrees)
  • Back to 19" stance (18" stance felt too twitchy and awkward af. might event try 20 at some point)
  • first click of forward lean on both boots
  • slight inwards canting on rear binding. I think around 1-2 degrees. 
  • Black pads for the uppers on my sidewinders.

Riding at loveland this weekend, i have finally achieved a balanced and centered stance, and i can easily do small carves on the flats now, where before it was a lot harder probably due to restricted biomechanics. My bullshit meter tells me that i'm at about 96% of the way there with my setup to perfection. The last 4% is boot fitting related since my intuitions are packing out during the day. And i think i'm going to eliminate the sidewinder aspect of my setup and go with standard uppers since I like a more instant response to inputs. 

I'm also going to take @big mario's advice and stop asking for feedback. 🙂 

Edited by Colozeus
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

So the new edit drops when?

Just for giggles, try a sidewinder on the back, and a standard on the front.

i'll have to wait until the weekend after next. Still haven't decided if i'm going aspen or doing luv again. I was too focused on riding this time around to ask someone to film it. 

Now that's an interesting suggestion.

12 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Might work, might not. Should give you a little more Elvis Room on the toeside turn entry.

(Hard bumper medial, soft bumper lateral).

I would be concerned about the different stack heights this would result in. The SW uppers are higher than the standard uppers. (i think)

If that's an issue, it will probably feel like the bindings are mounted a little too far forward.

Depending, of course, on whether or not your legs are of equal length.

If not, it may feel better, (or a lot worse) than 'normal'.

E.g., if I remove the compensating shim from my front binding, I can still ride well enough to fool the jury, but my timing will be 'off'.

Edited by Beckmann AG

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go @Beckmann AG No more pirate leg on heelsides. Only thing i changed for this trip on the nirvana i'm riding in this video is that i got rid of the sidewinders and went with td3 standard step-ins. Conditions were pretty good today. One of the key things i worked on today was not pressuring the board too early on heelside as that would cause me to get ahead of the board. I've also been trying to work on quiet hands, but i still get jazz hands every now and then. 

In this second video my riding was kind of "meh". Had a two heelsides where i f'd up on timing. 

Third video: Shot from behind, not sure what happened on that early heelside. Perhaps i ran into one of @big mario 's trenches? 😄

Edited by Colozeus

^Your body looks happier. 

->Except for the last part of the last clip, where it seems the system needs a 'reboot'. That tail whip is what happens when you depend too much on the surface as a reference plane, and then something changes down there.

While there are a few things worth mentioning, I'd run with what you've got for awhile, and just take notes on things that give pause for thought.

And don't worry about the hands for the time being. Pay attention instead to 'unforced consistency'. 

Thanks for the follow through.

2 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

^Your body looks happier. 

->Except for the last part of the last clip, where it seems the system needs a 'reboot'. That tail whip is what happens when you depend too much on the surface as a reference plane, and then something changes down there.

While there are a few things worth mentioning, I'd run with what you've got for awhile, and just take notes on things that give pause for thought.

And don't worry about the hands for the time being. Pay attention instead to 'unforced consistency'. 

Thanks for the follow through.

if you are talking about the very end of the last clip, i stopped because of the dad and the little girl. 

Yeah, at this point i'm just gonna focus on riding more.

So are you alluding to building more muscle memory so that consistency becomes the norm rather than the focus?

^Good plan. Looked like you had plenty of room and ease for overtaking. Appeared more contemplative than evasive.

Not so much 'muscle memory', (depending on how you view that concept), more that repetition with subtle variation on that particular pitch will gradually allow you to relax, and as you relax, you'll find more flow/harmony. At which point you won't so much be 'trying' for consistency, but using consistency as a launchpad for exploration.

How many days do you have left to your season?

14 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

^Good plan. Looked like you had plenty of room and ease for overtaking. Appeared more contemplative than evasive.

Not so much 'muscle memory', (depending on how you view that concept), more that repetition with subtle variation on that particular pitch will gradually allow you to relax, and as you relax, you'll find more flow/harmony. At which point you won't so much be 'trying' for consistency, but using consistency as a launchpad for exploration.

How many days do you have left to your season?

I'm super paranoid with little kids. All too often they tend to dart out really quickly and suddenly. Plus, the dad wasn't really looking uphill. I'm probably too cautious with other people, where i know others are comfortable laying out turns around crowds. 

This might have been my last trip of the season. I'm keeping an eye on the weather and if it's still ok in mid april, perhaps i'll do one more weekend trip.