Note to New Members ×

To Ride or Not to Ride..a quandry

Bobby Buggs

Well time marches on as they say and my 41 year old back blew a L5 disc in Early Feb. I dont even know how it happened but you could have cut off my right leg and I would have been happy.:eek:

This all happened 1 week before my trip to Crested Butte and NO this year I didnt get the trip insurance.

So I get a Injection in the L5 nerve root and off to the Butte. NO problems at all while riding just when sitting at dinners. Now 1 month out I still have what they call Foot drop and numbness in my right foot.

Its obvious that the nerve is still in some sort of impingement but I really dont have any pain.

Where the Hell am I going with this... Well I am getting another injection Tuesday and Hope to be a Okemo Wednesday night to "GO WILD" for a few days with the crew.

Has anyone had this type of back problem and how did it work out for you.

Yeah I had the MRI and it said Lateral herniation of the L5 and incroachment on the L5 nerve root. The way I look at it, I rode for 5 days already and dont think I will do more damage. Yeah I could crash and hurt it worse but the way I look at things I could slip on the ice in my drive way any day and do the same thing.

I was hoping someone here had been through this type of thing before

I wrenched my back last month at the SES and ended up able to SKI the last two days with the help of "mother's little helper's" (600mg Ibuprofin + Vicodin). I just started to read "Backache: What Exercises Work", by Sobel & Klien. So far the read makes sense as it is saying most people "cannot accept that exercise is simply the best, most potent medicine available to treat a back problem." Don't expect instant relief as this should be a routine to live the rest of our days by. Detailed (back specific) exercises are outlined later in the book.

I've had a degenerative L5 for over 8 years. Never blew it out but I know the pain from ankle to neck. How it could make my hamstring cramp is a mystery to me.

So physical therapists showed me how to avoid aggravating sitting/standing positions. Stretching is a daily routine too. Ice is your friend. And no pain meds before carving.

Carving doesn't bother it near as much as surfing. Good luck with getting it under control.

I've been dealing with herniations at L4/L5 and L5/S1 (and some minor bulging in the neck) for about 10 years. You're probably aware of the nerves getting pinched, and then the pinching causing pain or numbness down the leg. The pinching then causes inflammation of the nerve, which makes it get pinched more, so that's where the anti-inflams help.

I've done the injections, but there's a limit to how many you can have and how long the injections last. Also, it's tempting to just eat Advil like candy, but don't rely on it too heavily for daily life because it can bother your stomach over time.

I think staying loose and stretching is critical. If you're not hooked up with PT already, look into getting into a regular rountine of loosening up you're whole body. It's easy to remember if you start at your head and work your way down. (rotate the head, loosen the shoulders, twist at the trunk, rotate the hips, etc.) You may want to get into a martial art to make it a regular deal. If I don't get to Taekwondo on a regular basis, I can feel it in my back and neck.

You'll know you're improving as the pain becomes more localized. At its worst, you'll feel it down to your foot, and then you may only feel it behind the thight, then only in the back, then maybe not at all.

Bottom line, you can function and have fun, but you have to avoid bad posture and doing stupid things, like reaching out and over to pick something up. If you have small kids, you should get your wife to give them baths. (You may also tell her that daily horizontal hip movement with a partner will make you feel much better.)

Good luck.

MT

when I passed 35 almost 4 years ago I included Yoga into my required exercise...the smartest thing I've ever done. Yoga is the only reason I've been able to walk after some of the pool/ramp slams I took in Hawaii (skateboarding...pads only help soo much) . How often I practice varies but usually at least twice a week regardless. It opens my back up stretching, loosening and strengthening everything my back included.

My old gym training partner had chronic issues with discs in her back (not sure which ones) that almost caused her to have surgery. Some days would be good and others she could barely walk. She was in her late 40's when the problems started.

She has been going to yoga for a year now and has never felt better - she absolutely raves to me, and after postponing the surgery twice, now feels that she doesn't need it (at least for now). Obviously a HUGE improvement.

bobby, invest in a 20.00$ swiss ball and stretch stretch stretch. lots of backwords bending as oppossed to forward bending. i have what qualifies as a "bulged" disc. once in a wile it likes to play peekaboo with my cyatic. if access is availible go right for the LORTABs. superman pills i call em. exhaust every option b4 diving in to surgery. friend had the in and out fusion done and he has less mobility now then b4. it just stinks when the medical community tells you youre stuck with this for life good days and bad (they told me to lose weight too-went from 260 to 230-still hurts) just stretch every day and strengthen LOWER abs.

good luck-chris

Guest scloyes

Bobby,

I have had back problems for years. As others have mentioned, yoga is great. I have friends who swear by the discectomy, but fusion is a bad option. Mac's coach, Mike Mallon, had a very successful artificial disc operation last year and I could put you in touch with him.

I have overcome the majority of my back issues through exercise, but I still take a couple of advil before I ride.

Thanks Steve. I will get my 2nd Injection Tuesday, lets hope it knocks out the inflamation enough to avoid even the discectomy. As of today my big toe is still numb and ankle flexion is still about 50%.

I am going to a 500 foot place tomorrow to see how it feels, Cant lay down to many turns there without ending up in the lodge:D so it should be pretty safe.

Guest scloyes

Bobby,

I have had six injections and only two of them worked for any extended period of time. Stretching and strengthening are extremely important, but your condition sounds like it might be more serious and may require a major remedy.

My father-in-law developed the same symptoms twenty years ago, before advances had been made in lower back treatments. In any event, I have some great docs for you to consult with if you are interested.

My L4 and L5 are shot... woke up one day.. literally couldn't stand up straight. Took about 2 months to get back to the point of being able to stand straight without stretching first.

Stretching... Yoga.... strengthen your abdominals and wear a support brace when you ride... by doing the above... I rarely have a "bad" day.... consider surgery a last ditch solution.