Note to New Members ×

Step-In - Fintech // Intec Compatibility

MNSurfer

(Sorry if this is a repeat)

Just out of convenience-sake (read: laziness), I've been using Intec boots and Fintech bindings. And sometimes the other way around. It seems to work just fine.

- Are there long-term consequences to this?

- Is there a combination that is acceptable, or not?

Thanks.

-Brian

Intec into Bomber receivers or other steel receivers works fine. Fintec heels into aluminum receivers such as those on stock Cateks will destroy the receiver very quickly. It's not difficult to adapt Bomber receivers to work on Catek bindings if you have a drillpress, a Dremel, and a 15/64 bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 10:51 AM, Jonny said:

Intec into Bomber receivers or other steel receivers works fine. Fintec heels into aluminum receivers such as those on stock Cateks will destroy the receiver very quickly. It's not difficult to adapt Bomber receivers to work on Catek bindings if you have a drillpress, a Dremel, and a 15/64 bit.

So how about Fintec heels into Intec receivers? 

• 5 years later...

"It's not difficult to adapt Bomber receivers to work on Catek bindings if you have a drillpress, a Dremel, and a 15/64 bit."

I love my Catek bindings, but the aluminum Step-in heel receiver side holes are enlarging over time (after 14 years of riding). Is it possible to share some photos of your Bomber receiver modifications (to fit on Catek bindings)?  Also, am I better off modifying Bomber receivers or Intec heel receivers?

Thanks in Advance.

Here are some photos of my Catek OS2 bindings with Bomber heel receivers.  The second photo shows the original parts on the left and modified parts on the right.  I just used a Dremel tool and a round file to remove the material shown in blue in the last photo.  Widening the tapered holes in the red breaker bar was the most difficult, using a combination of Dremel and rat tail file by hand.  A little red magic marker covers the silver color where I removed aluminum.

Catek-TD3-1.jpg.4cf0461651ae2d873d810e0d6e761a37.jpg

Catek-TD3-3.jpg.d1f02f57c7781cad229915520b33c160.jpg

Catek-TD3-3a.jpg.ec605d4f8ef81d6eeea02d1d83827db9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you have nice rounded inside corners like @Wolf has shown above. This greatly reduces stress concentration - meaning it'll reduce the chances of a crack starting. 

The worst possible thing you can do is use a hacksaw or cut-off wheel and leave a sharp notch at the end of the cut. Round dremel or files are much preferred to finish the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SCHMD said:

Also, am I better off modifying Bomber receivers or Intec heel receivers?

I found the Bomber receivers were easy to modify (just time consuming with the tools I used).  And, importantly, the stack height of the heel receiver came out just right when fitted to Cateks without needing to make any extra provisions to change their height, such as extra shims.  So, I'd choose Bomber just because I had no issues modifying those.   

One more photo showing what I mean with the height of the heel receiver.  You can see that the sole pad on the toe of my boot sits nice and flat on the toe block of the binding.  The toe wouldn't sit flat if the heel were too high or too low.

Catek-TD3-4.jpg.7c2c26d7fef98bb66efd64414d43dc6e.jpg

(Good thing I have these photos stored)

14 minutes ago, Wolf said:

(Good thing I have these photos stored)

👍

thanks, Wolf.  good stuff.  

I was off of hardboots this most recent season mostly because of some physical issues but also because I have to get the whole Catek/Intec/Bomber heel-receiver interface thing sorted in a way that I really feel confident riding.

Your efforts help and I appreciate you doing that.

Edited by davekempmeister