Note to New Members ×

Winter Storm Warning

jtslalom

Those of you living on the east coast get ready. We are going to get pounded by whats shaping up to be a Nor Easter. 12 inches of snow are expected to fall over northern NJ and the surrounding areas. Mountain Creek already has a pretty good base for March and will have a much better one after tonight. I went riding last night and the conditions were great. I will by riding tomorrow provided school is cancelled.

Heck, they cancel school here (NJ) if their is even a 'chance' of snow! The 'rugrats' are always swarming the local hill. "Guess I should have been a truiant officer". Today 3/4 of the schools closed early 9:30-10:30 AM because the storm is 'forecast', the other 1/4 just cancelled !!! I have NO idea how they get their minimum days in.

Whatever, I'm just Happy Winter may finally be getting here.

Kirkwood, CA

Monday, February 28, 2005 : 06:30 AM

WEATHER

°F Sky Wind Today's Forecast

25 Clear Light Highs in mid 30's

SNOW STATS

Last 24 hrs 10-14"

Season Total 437-536"

Base Depth 160-204"

Trails Open 65

Trails Groomed 17

Another 7-12" tomorrow night. There has been so much snowfall, it is hard to get up there for groomed days that match with my days off. I took 10 days off for Christmas break and didn't get a carving day in because of storms.

Should let up soon, no?

Hugh

WOOHOO!!!

Snow in the mid-Atlantic at last! Just got back from Whitetail where I met up with two other local carvers---we arrived at 8:30am to an empty resort and rode our faces off 'til 1pm.

Snow began falling around 10:30, and by the time we left it was getting NICE on the slopes! Yes---it SUCKED to leave...but I may work a few hours this afternoon...then if the roads are passable, pop some ibuprofen and head out again for some "Winter Wonderland" action tonight! :D

Scott

Guest rowanpg

Roemer weather for 2-28-2005

Update -- 12:30 pm

*2-3 FEET OF SNOW LIKELY MONDAY- LATE WEDNESDAY; COULD BE MORE SOME AREAS

*LONGER TERM LOOKS PROMISING INTO MID-MARCH

"Skiers, snowboarders and weather junkies, lend me your ears;

I've come to bury Sugarloaf and to praise her."

Bury her? We'll, we were going out on a limb late week for at least a foot and a half of snow here this week, and I still think that is conservative. It would not surprise me that over the next 2 weeks we get 4-5 feet of snow here--possibly double our normal snowfall for mid-March.

Here's a little lesson in meteorology--

As the sun angle and hours of daylight increase during March , the lower level of the atmosphere tends not be as cold as it is during the heart of winter. Trees, dark objects, etc. absorb light and heat more readily than air does at the higher elevations. With large bodies of cold air still poised the higher latitudes of Canada and the Arctic, very unstable air can result as it remains cold aloft, but much milder at the lower elevations.

Case and point----The map valid for early Wednesday a.m.. shows the jet stream at 15,000 feet. The center of the coldest air aloft is right over northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine and denoted by numerous "x's" and a 510-516 circle. The lower the number, the colder the air aloft. We are talking about temperatures of -20 degrees at this level but remaining mostly in the 20's at the lower elevations here through Wednesday. This will result in orographic uplift snows that may last well into the day on Wednesday. The mountains will enhance snows greatly.

At the surface there are two low pressure systems by Wednesday a.m-- one heading out past Nova Scotia and another one over the Gulf of Maine. Without one major low pressure system but two separate ones, most forecasters are downplaying snow amounts to under 12-18". However, because of the above mentioned scenario for uplift snows, enhanced by the cold air aloft the mountains, I still think we are in for some surprises.

This battle between the first low pressure system (Ceaser) and the second (Brutus) will slow each other down and hence a good 36 hours of snowfall will fall in the mountains--that's a long time.

With regard to the wind, it will be quite strong through Wednesday possibly gusting to over 50-60 MPH later tomorrow and throughout muc of the day on Wednesday. The skiing will be the best of the season Thursday into next week---yes, perhaps even better than this last week.

The longer term pattern heading well into mid March is one that will continue to feature off and on snows and no chance of any freeze-thawing like we were witnessing in December and January.

We may get snows from nor' easters, we may get snows from cold air aloft and enhancement, but either way, I can say that the place to be into mid March is here and not out west.

MY OFFICAL FORECAST FOR THIS STORM MONDAY-WEDNESDAY EVENING.

It continues to remain much higher than others I am hearing. We have not really changed a thing from last week but have increased confidence levels to 80%.

2.5-3 feet with a 40% chance of 4 feet by late Wednesday