Note to New Members ×

what would be a good "slalom" board for me?

D-Sub

I keep catching flashes of "people ride too big of a board" and "big boards hide flaws in riding" and stuff like that, so, Im lookin for suggestions as to what would be a good "small" board for me. Somethin snappy and quick...I guess they take a little more work to ride?

Im 6'2", about 210 or so...I guess Id call myself an intermediate at best as far as carving goes.

Phil? Kent?

Guest Randy S.

Dave,

I'm 5'10" and 195. I like my Volkl 163 RTSL. I'd prefer a slightly narrower board (I like 18cm waists for quick transitions), but it holds a carve nicely. It also deals with high speeds remarkably well for such a small board. You might also look at the 167 Donek Freecarve. Its a new size Sean started making this season. I know two people who got the first ones and they love them. One of them is also big and fast and the other is tall, skinny and fast.

there is a small company called Madd, they make a 158:D

ohh wait I think you have heard of them!

anyway that is a good question, most SL sticks I have been on are crap(noodles)

I would say go the Donek, if it came down to having to go custom you would have your deck in a month instead of a year.

that said if you don't need it this year get a Coiler.

I'm still brand new to the sport so please disregard my opinion..

I ride a Nidecker SL, it's my first alpine board. It was fairly inexpensive ($200). I love it and it treats me good, unless it's trying to kill me or just hurt me. It has a wood core, tip to tail. It is not comparable to a wet paper towel. I'm 6'0 200 lbs and the board is a 160.

Yep

I have a RT 163, which is great. A friend weighs in at 230lbs and rides the same board, with no troubles.

In the many years I've been using Volkl gear, they always hold together quite nicely, and I've not seen any Volkl gear fall apart or get wrecked through brute force.

At the very least, take one out for a test drive! :D

I have been on F2, Nidecker, and Volkl (among others that are not around anymore). I am 5' 18" and 230 lbs. F2 gets the nod for me. My SL 163 is done. Next year I will probably get the 166. Nideckers were alright. The Volkl does not seem to be fit for big guys. The F2 has been my little baby for a long time.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by Phil

I am 5' 18" and 230 lbs. F2 gets the nod for me.

That's 6'6" in most books. Or a typo.

Originally posted by Tommy D I've not seen any Volkl gear fall apart or get wrecked through brute force.

I have, but that was pretty exceptional. The same guy has broken a number of boards. He now rides the Donek 167 I mentioned above. We'll see if he breaks that.

Originally posted by Phil

Tommy D.

If you look at the times we posted, they are the same. I was not disagreeing with you intentionally, we just posted about the same board at the same time. (with different opinions)

No worries! you may be right about the Volkl not being fit for big guys; I'm only 145 5'8", and it works awesome for me. My buddy has a great time on his, but he has nothing to compare it to 'cept for his Factory Prime, which he loves just as much when there aren't any crowds (RARE!)

I am impressed at your 5'18"! WOW! ;)

thanks for the posts so far. I doubt Ill buy another boutique board for a while, so if I did get a little one it would be a production board

F2 and Volkl both look impressive on paper. Maybe Ill get a chance to check one out

think an F2 Speedster GTS 156 would be too small for me?

I'll have a large number of Renntigers available in about a week and a half. These will be new/unused boards from the 02-04 season. They'll be first's, not seconds, and will range in sizes from 148-168 in both GS & SL models. D-Sub if your interested I'll try to set aside on of the 163-168cm's for you. Prices will start at $249.99 + shipping for Bomber members only. I'm going to put the rest on ebay @ $279.99. +shipping. Let me know,

Thanks,

Paul

Dave, I'm 5' 15" and 220. I demoed quite a few boards at SES looking for something shorter and turnier. I loved the Prior 4WD's. I was going to go shorter and shorter until I found the shortest I could ride. I started with the 174 (doesn't sound like a short board but the effective edge is about the same as a 166 to 168 SL board), and then I tried the 169. The next Prior down was a 159 and I passed on it (the 169 turned as quick as I could handle). The 174 has a 10 meter side cut and the 169 a 9.5. The Donek Axis 172 would be a good choice also but I have a Coiler FC with the same side cut (10.5). I was going to buy the 174 Demo until someone did a pretty good rock grind on it, but ended up buying Peter Dodd's 2 year old 174 so he could pick up a Donek 171FCII. I also came home with a Coiler 172 AM that I haven't had a chance to try yet. Iian Waugh won a Prior of his choice and after demoing the 4WD 169 decided he liked it better than his Coiler. As soon as I get a chance to compare the 4WD and the AM I'll be putting one of them on Bomber (probably the Coiler).

Originally posted by Kent

Well silly me......I assumed you wanted a slalom board (race), not a short turning board.

sorry bout that. guess I should have been more specific.

I was just thinkin it would be fun to try out a "quick" board, but something that could still handle my weight.

thanks again all for input!

D-sub

I have an older F2 speedster 153 and it's used more than my Donek FC179 and RT168. It's still got a lot of snap and it's 8-10 yrs old. I am about your size, 5'15" 215. Bought it used, Glenn C is bumming he sold it. JG sold it to him , PTC reground it, I'm loving it.

Try it at Okemo!

don't go hauling ass and expect it turn easily at the same speed you turn your other decks

ohh speaking of your other decks how is the Coiler

Is it what you expected?

Does it meet your expectations?

anyway back to the topic, the short stuff is easy to ride but really works your technique

you end up riding slower but all your movement needs to happen as fast or faster and needs to be more precise

its really different and fun damn its been too long since I got on a "flick stick"

well, damn you D-sub! now I just decided to take the 159 out:D

I just talked myself into it :D

Coiler took longer getting used to than other boards Ive ridden this year. In all honesty...dunno why, but I liked the Prior WCR185 better as of yet.

snappier? more aggressive feeling? Im not nearly as technical as some of you so Im not certain what it is...

its a damn well built board, thats for sure, and it can handle anything I give it without blinking. For some reason it doesnt feel as...natural...as the WCR did. confusing.

I guess Ill give this little 56 a shot, see what happens. Im sure Im well outside its prescribed weight range tho!